Fordmods Logo

LPG engine control?? 1992 EB2 5spd Wag. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG engine control?? 1992 EB2 5spd Wag.
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just curious, I heard that pre 1993 that the LPG SYSTEMS were not computer controlled. I have a 1992 model with an IMPCO Vapour system. I was just wondering, when my car is running on gas, does the ecu do anything?? keeping in mind its manual not auto. Car seems to not stop revving past 5,500rpm. My auto model cuts out at round 5,100-200rpm.

Also the car really,really fly's..mechanic told me its very weird,and it goes better then his el xr8( yeah right )- and it does keep up with NA BAXR6'S....not much done to it either.

Any info much appreciated- its probably a dumb question, just wanting to know!
:roll:

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nudge----> anyone?????????? I know it not "how much power question" *lol* but It's sumthin I need to know :cry:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

sorry what was the question again ? I got all caught up in you dribble.

A lot of LPG cars will by-pass the rev limiter, i've seen an EB rev to like 7000 rpm, it loved it lol. I don't think the ECU does much at all apart from the obvious when you are running on gas, that's why gas systems have their own seperate gas CPU.

I dunno though dude, I guess we need more of the infamous FM V1 members here from when this site was all informative and s**t.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

very true........ha- you call that dribble, why dont you go through the other threads in 6cyl workshop, thats dribble :wink:

Now, that still dont answer the q but thanks anyway, my car is pre GAS ECU .

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Well when was the conversion done? The factory systems were Viali or what ever that brand is not Impco wern't they? So I assume yours is therefore aftermarket - in which case it would depend on what set up they put in.

My cars got an aftermarket gas set up and still has the speed limiter on gas, I've never tested for the rev limiter.

Last edited by twr7cx on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

It all depends on what system you car uses to rev limit. It is either spark cut, fuel cut or a combination. From the sounds of things the Fords are fuel cut. So if you are running on LPG, ie there is not petrol flowing through the injectors then what can the ecu do? It cuts power to the injectors but that does nothing on a car running LPG. So you can now rev till the engine self destructs.

I would suggest keeping revs below 5500. Unless tuned spot on for high revs I would think it likely that your car is running lean up top (this would be the normal setup for fuel efficiency).

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MacGyver wrote:
It all depends on what system you car uses to rev limit. It is either spark cut, fuel cut or a combination. From the sounds of things the Fords are fuel cut. So if you are running on LPG, ie there is not petrol flowing through the injectors then what can the ecu do? It cuts power to the injectors but that does nothing on a car running LPG. So you can now rev till the engine self destructs.

I would suggest keeping revs below 5500. Unless tuned spot on for high revs I would think it likely that your car is running lean up top (this would be the normal setup for fuel efficiency).

cheers
Scott

Thanks mate yeah I never take her over 5,100rpm, you know just to be sure. :wink:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Car seems to not stop revving past 5,500rpm.

[/quote]Thanks mate yeah I never take her over 5,100rpm, you know just to be sure
Quote:

:? See, now I`m confused... more dribble...?
Have a look at your gas setup, is it straight thru from the converter to the TB? if so, you`re running the ECU for spark only at that point, with a solenoid controlling which fuel flows. The gas takes care of itself and the ECU does the spark and timing thing. Engine limiter is usually fuel related as opposed to timing or spark cutout methods.

Have a read up on different gas setups and get to know what you`ve got under the bonnet...

JAIKAI

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

like I said earlier, its an Impco, not computer style with a Ba 225 mixer( for flow)

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

You`ll find the `puter still controls your spark. your gas is a seperate entity... gas flow will be controlled by the throttle opening, no computer.

Make a good start for an aftermarket ignition system...

JAIKAI

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

How do you mean " Make a good start for an aftermarket ignition system...

not sure what you mean?
:?

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Basically your EB is running the good ole` EECIV ignition and timing setup... if your gas is running independant (without `puter), you might wanna think about a better spark/timing setup. I`ve been looking at using a Megajolt system on my 250 Xflow. with the fuel side of things taken care of, you don`t need a big bux aftermarket ECU setup. In your case, you could get hold of all the gear to bolt straight on ( VR sensor, crank wheel, coil pack) from an EF engine and spend less than $300 on an EDIS unit and Megajolt unit. compare this to even a Megasquirt setup and you`ll see the cost benefits already.

IN SHORT, aftermarket is a better timing/tuning setup than the "locked" EECIV setup. cheap performance really...

JAIKAI

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jaikai wrote:
Basically your EB is running the good ole` EECIV ignition and timing setup... if your gas is running independant (without `puter), you might wanna think about a better spark/timing setup. I`ve been looking at using a Megajolt system on my 250 Xflow. with the fuel side of things taken care of, you don`t need a big bux aftermarket ECU setup. In your case, you could get hold of all the gear to bolt straight on ( VR sensor, crank wheel, coil pack) from an EF engine and spend less than $300 on an EDIS unit and Megajolt unit. compare this to even a Megasquirt setup and you`ll see the cost benefits already.

IN SHORT, aftermarket is a better timing/tuning setup than the "locked" EECIV setup. cheap performance really...

JAIKAI

So better performance is obtained after installing a mejajolt system??

thing is I may leave it as the car already goes real well, stays with ef xr6 manual's, even BA NA XR-6's.....its strange.
maybe because running without computer? :roll:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

8-) Prolly cause gas is higher octane than the juice you buy...not so much these days, but it used to be.

Yeah, the megajolt is just a better way of setting spark timing, same as most aftermarket ECUs. basically if you`re happy with it, don`t touch it mate... then again it`s only money :lol: ...

JAIKAI

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]