Fordmods Logo

LPG gas system on a 2003 XR8 (Gas injected) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG gas system on a 2003 XR8 (Gas injected)
Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey Everyone,

I have a ford BA xr8. i bought it about 6 months ago and previously to me owning it gas was installed to it about a 1yr prior

after a while the car seemed to missa beat on gas and eventually the it was skipping and shake on the gas really bad. when it was on fuel it was a dream.

eventually the it started to happen on the fuel too but not as bad. i put up with it and eventually it was really bad and s**t me alot. i end up taking it to a really good mechanic and he did some tests and everything pointed towards the spark plugs. he took them out and found that there was serious carbon build up on the thread of the plugs.

he told me that there is not much he can do at the moment and he wacked a new set of plugs in and it was all good . he told me to drive it for a few weeks and if it doesnt play up and im happy with it come back and pay him them. he also put in the right plugs as it was duel fuel

i drove it around for a day and then it started to play up again i took it back to him and he spent 2 days on it doing some testing (wet test, dry test, pressure test, leak down test.) he told me that the compression was down in 2 pistols 175 over 150 he said thats not to bad but wasnt good. He eventually worked out the problem was the valves are good and neeeded fixing. he qouted me on fixing it and showed me when the car was apart the faults and everything. he said to be honest i would sell the car he did some research himself and found out that Fords just cant hand the LPG sytems on them

4100 to fix and he said to be honest it will fix the problem and will sort it out short term but no garaentees on what will happen in the future.

he put it back together and im going to get rid of the gas. the car is running fine now but i need some more i need some more info as im not sure what i should do.

having all this stuff happening i recommend DO NOT GET GAS OR HAVE IT PUT ON AND FORDS AS I DO NOT WISH THIS APON ANYONE
please help!!!!!!
i would like some feed back if anyone has some info i may be missing

Post subject: Re: LPG gas system on a 2003 XR8 (Gas injected)
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Bern using gas on my ford's for the last 5 years with little issues...........

Do u still have the LPG system installed? If so please take as many detailed pictures on engine bay install so we can see what system it is.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Jyeboyz wrote:
having all this stuff happening i recommend DO NOT GET GAS OR HAVE IT PUT ON AND FORDS AS I DO NOT WISH THIS APON ANYONE please help!!!!!!
i would like some feed back if anyone has some info i may be missing
You're missing a lot of info - as the above statement suggests.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:57 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Ford engines were built to handle gas and higher combustion temperatures. Look at all the taxis that do a million kays on their original engines without even needing the top end looked at.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Ford 6cyls, yes they are a perfect candidate for a LPG instal. Modular ford 8's on the other hand, different kettle of fish. What exactly did he point towards when he had your motor apart? Valve seats on the heads, burnt valves? Be nice to know.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

If the modular V8s aren't as tolerant to LPG as the I6s, Liquid LPG Injection would solve the issues. There are plenty of people running injected LPG systems of various descriptions on their V8s with no problems whatsoever.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Jyeboyz wrote:
i would like some feed back......

Please proof read your work in draft and edit to make them readable posts!!!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

+1 for the SVI...

I have a King system and started running like crap and found out the leads were at fault. Replaced them and had no issues with it again. The Lecky system must be in tip top condition when on LPG and includes all the poop like rotor buttons and the likes. I have a EB SXR8 and it was missing when you plant it(well accellerate briskly) - found out the injectors were too small and returned it to the installer who went larger injectors. Only missed a little bit after this and fiddled with all the electrics(one system at a time so I could isolate the issue).

Once the new leads went on, it went like a treat and returns 500km out of the 61 useable litres(80 total capacity) of LPG I pump into it($37 a tank). The petrol I use is PULP BP or Shell and I put the Flashlube poop in every tank(usually lasts me about six weeks before I have to fill it up with PULP again).

Hooroo

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]