Fordmods Logo

LPG price rise 

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: LPG price rise
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

I'm thinking the same . got an EF duel fuel that's about to hit the road again but i don't think the gas side will be cheaper .the price around here for gas is .84 (caltex) and 1.55 pulp (caltex). Around town it's not going to worth it .The gas setup on the ef is not the best ,it has the mixer ring on the throttle body.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

around town i was getting anywhere from 250 to 300 per tank (75L) and on the highway i was averaging 360 K's . that was 2 year ago when price's were .62c ,but now l don't know as it sits in the yard waiting for rego ( now my sons car and waiting for him to get he's license).

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Series 3 AU Falcon

SA, Australia

Only got my gas conversion done around a month before the gas jumped from .58 to .78 :evil: haha. BTW im in SA so its not localized to to NSW im guessing

Series 3 AU Falcon : Shift Kit, Herrod Motorsport 4499's, 100cpi Cat, Lukey 2.5 Catback,Ebiach Pro Kit, Monroe GT Short Struts, Usual P-plater crap,Alpine CDA-9856, Kicker speakers all round, Rear Speakers powered by a Kicker DX125 and SoundStream T5-12 powered by a Soundstream TX 1300.D

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

For as long as Petrol is ~3x the price of LPG, LPG remains good value (ie, it will return savings and pay off your conversion over a reasonable amount of time). I think the good old days of subsidised installs and no excise on LPG are over and hence there's no more LPG in my fleet!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

gas is viable if you have a good setup (injection, gas throttle body) and have your car tuned for it . A lot of people don't have there car tuned for gas (example me :| )

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

No matter how much you tune, you can't ignore the fact that LPG carries less energy that petrol. It will never get the same mileage per litre.

And even if you do want to get it as close to possible, you would've spent ALOT of money on "the best" kit and tuning to make it possible. All costs that offset the gains for years to come.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

The price jumped heaps down here in Vic too. Sitting around 75.9cpl at a lot of places. Up from mid 50's not long ago, and huge increase in the cost of filling up!

If I didn't already have a gas injection setup on the Eb Ghia, I wouldn't be bothered converting it now, the savings are going to take way too long to pay off the conversion before you even save any money at all!

I'm now wondering if it's worth converting my Hz pano when it's finished? I have most of the hardware for the job, just need the installers to supply & install a new tank & lines.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It has jumped up again in line with the Northern Hemispheres Winter.
We get f**k over because our fuel and gas is priced alongside Singapores prices.
This is the exact reason I took the LPG off the Mav last year.
Financially wasnt worth having and being restricted to where I had a rego check done was a down side as well.
I have been thinking about putting the gas back on the Mav lately as fuel is so f**k expensive but am holding off to see if the gas price rise is just seasonal again or if it will be held up there.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

For those that remember from Livo Friday nights, I said months ago that this was coming and there will be more.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
For those that remember from Livo Friday nights, I said months ago that this was coming and there will be more.

The introduction of the fuel excise tax on LPG? It wasn't supposed to be this much was it?

I can also see the price of petrol going up...Diesel around here is up a bit on what it was not so long ago.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Quit ya complaining.

Its been high 70s here for YEARS. I just did trip on the weekend and between here and Mackay the cheapest was 85c the dearest 89.9c.

All it means is installers/tuners will have to lift their game tune wise, as it won't be viable to have an average tune anymore.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
For as long as Petrol is ~3x the price of LPG, LPG remains good value (ie, it will return savings and pay off your conversion over a reasonable amount of time). I think the good old days of subsidised installs and no excise on LPG are over and hence there's no more LPG in my fleet!

So that would mean that for the current gas prices it would only remain viable if petrol was $2.40/L.

If this price rise is not seasonal and is actually due to the excise, then the next taxi I drive will either be a diesel Territory or Mondeo wagon. This could happen within the next 12 months.

I was very tempted to convert my truck to vapour injected LPG once the 5.0 was in and running but it looks like it will be running petrol only.

For all you guys with relatively "high km" motors that are already running LPG maybe a quick rebuild is in order. My AU used to get 500km+ out of 65L on the freeway but now that its tired its only getting around 400-420km. A quick rebuild would be quicker to pay off than an upgraded LPG setup (say from mixer ring to injection) and you'd get both your petrol and LPG economy back to where they should be. Hell even a 400 buck wrecker job motor would be just as effective.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I'm going to buy a bicycle. fuk dis sheit

EL Ghia

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Quit ya complaining.

Its been high 70s here for YEARS. I just did trip on the weekend and between here and Mackay the cheapest was 85c the dearest 89.9c.

All it means is installers/tuners will have to lift their game tune wise, as it won't be viable to have an average tune anymore.

More likely to push a lot of installers out of the game, as down here in Vic they don't have to be mechanics to get their gas ticket, and I find there isn't many workshops that really know their s**t when it comes to LPG.

I used to do a few things for work here & there, "on the way home" without pay, now the price of LPG has gone up so much, that will not be happening anymore.

xcabbi,

A quick rebuild might be a good idea for some. Another good idea is for people to set the right spark plug gap to run their engine on LPG, which will result in better power & economy.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

My ef wagon use to take $39 to fill 65L Lpg tank and I would get 520-560km highway depending on speed etc,it's takes about $45 to fill now so still not to bad and the plus is I'm not doing 900km a week now too. It's only running a impco 200 on a 160k au xr6 motor..

Phill

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next