Mixer ring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Mixer ring
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8

VIC, Australia

Hi,

I've got the old OMVL-90 complex converter and simple mixer in TB setup. The mixer ring in the TB is a bloody big restriction when it comes to induction and power. In the past gas fitters told me there is no way around it only to get a new system but i'm wondering if that's still the case now or not.

I could go out and get a u beaut SVI $4000-$6000 system but in an EF Wagon with 320K kms+ it hardly seems worth it. I think i would if it was a BA or BF.

I could get a GRA setup which is much less restrictive but would more than likely set me back over 1k for the underbonnet gear, that also doesn't seem worthwile in an EF. I plan on obtaining a BA/BF XR8 or XR6 Turbo in a few years and will have either SVI or LPI on that one, but for now stuck with the EF.

Just chasing more RWKW, i have removed the mixer and given it a run on petrol and it feels way more powerfull without that restriction.

04 BA XR8 260 4V | Crow Cams, bolt-on's, 4.11 truetrac

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I was looking into exactly this. Gas research underbonnet kit was $1500 fitted and dynoed when I asked 3 years ago.
I am interested in the dedicated gas AU11 on throttle body as it sounds like a similar set up to gas research. I have to do more research and see what the ford parts catalogue contains.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
I was looking into exactly this. Gas research underbonnet kit was $1500 fitted and dynoed when I asked 3 years ago.
I am interested in the dedicated gas AU11 on throttle body as it sounds like a similar set up to gas research. I have to do more research and see what the ford parts catalogue contains.
AU dedicated GAS TB just has the usual mixer ring incorporated into it, its nothing special. IMO Gas Research is the best you can go for outside multipoint liquid vapour LPG.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry to jack ur thread mate but:

In my sedan (EF V8) I have a convertor, then a "sprint gas mixer ring"

But my wagon (eb 6cly) is has a convertor then just before throttle body another big steel contraption (looks similar to convertor) how do these two sytems differ??

so i assume u can get the "ring" mixer in a 6cyl also????

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

that sounds like an impco mixer. I understand many people swear by them? Gas research underbonnet kit is about $1500 fitted and dynoed.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH and a landcruiser

SA, Australia

is this the mixer ring you have i want to find a bigger one mine is only around 45mm do the v8s have larger ones? i went down to the wrecker the other day hopeing to look through a box of them but they said they only sell them as a hole kit fair enough i spose, some gas guys in adelaide recon a few grand for the liquid vapour injection for just the under bonet suff not realy worth it on my 11 year old ute

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

if i had all the money i have spent on cars i would spend it all on cars

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

that sounds like an impco mixer. I understand many people swear by them? Gas research underbonnet kit is about $1500 fitted and dynoed.

Yeah it is an IMPCO system Its great, she returns around 550 k's outta 68 litres. Are these impco systems with the 2 large metal round things restrictive gernerally??? As mine seems to flow great- stays well with a manual ef xr6, although it is a 5 spd itself...

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

raff-26 wrote:

Yeah it is an IMPCO system Its great, she returns around 550 k's outta 68 litres. Are these impco systems with the 2 large metal round things restrictive gernerally??? As mine seems to flow great- stays well with a manual ef xr6, although it is a 5 spd itself...

550ks from 68lts

u must be doing at least half your kms on the freeway, plus the fact its a manual gives u about 15% better economy

if it was an auto and you were doing just city driving you wouldnt do better than 400

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

oh i just saw in another thread that you live in the country and u only use pure propane....that helps explain your bloody good economy

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
oh i just saw in another thread that you live in the country and u only use pure propane....that helps explain your bloody good economy

Yeah 90% of my k's the motor sits under 2000rpm, and i do use propane...the old thing is great economy wise- plus i guess the t5 has a bit of an impact... :wink:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Just found this thread via search (yes, some of us use it).

I too have noticed a big reduction in power with the restriction from the mixer ring and am looking for a solution. I realise there needs to be a restriction for the system to work but surely there is another option other than gas injection.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There was a variable size mixer ring available, but manufacturing has ceased recently. Good luck finding one :)

If you really want to lose this restiction then you need to look at one of the injection systems.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Waggin wrote:
There was a variable size mixer ring available, but manufacturing has ceased recently. Good luck finding one :)

If you really want to lose this restiction then you need to look at one of the injection systems.

Any chance you know who made this variable size mixer? Might help me find one, as unlikely as that will be. :(

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They're located near Liverpool.. the company name is 2 or 3 letters. They're a well known LPG kit supplier.

M.. something.. grr! I'll think of it shortly - or maybe someone else will know exactly who im talking about.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

MED.

I believe Joe @ Crescent Motorsport has the last one in captivity. He's interested in trying to find someone to make a batch, I'm told, but also needs some idea of demand, ie people to ring up & put their names down for one. I don't know if the MED mixer works with a complex converter (eg OMVL) or the simple converter used by Impco & GRA.

A couple of years ago I was quoted approx $600 to convert to an Impco underbonnet kit, but I don't know if it's less restrictive or not.

I was advised against going for a bigger mixer ring. Apparently they lose sensitivity as they get bigger and cause mixture problems.

If the OP's car is doughy then maybe the gas system just needs tuning. Jim Mock reckons a Sprintgas mixer flows well enough to support his Dev3 kit.

Or you could just add forced induction...

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]