Mixer to Inj conv? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Mixer to Inj conv?
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

NSW, Australia

I've got an ED 5.0 with a sprintgas/omvl mixer setup. Can anyone tell me what is involved in converting to gas injection? Any help greatly appreciated.

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Post subject: Re: Mixer to Inj conv?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

blueblood wrote:
I've got an ED 5.0 with a sprintgas/omvl mixer setup. Can anyone tell me what is involved in converting to gas injection? Any help greatly appreciated.

I was talking to a Gas fitter about LPG vapor injection the other day, He said you can use the same tank but you need to fit a bigger supply line from the tank to the new LPG rail so you supply the injectors with enough gas. You will need to drill and tap holes in your manifold close to the fuel injectors to fit the gas injectors, witch I would imagine would include removing the manifold. And you will need a separate computer.

There is LPG liquid injection, but that involves a new tank because you need one with a internal pump, but you dont need a separate computer as it runs off the petrol fuel maps. But the liquid injection is only available for sequential injected cars.

Hope this helps

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hmm all E series V8s could then be converted to liquid gas then, I wonder what sort of price a conversion would cost?

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hmm all E series V8s could then be converted to liquid gas then, I wonder what sort of price a conversion would cost?

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

I know the vapor injection is like $4000, so the liquid one would be more.

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:52 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

NSW, Australia

Should've just bit the bullet and did it when I had the gas done!

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Manifold has to be removed from the car to fit the injector fittings for the lpg injectors, you don't want metal shavings inside your engine! A few small mods to the petrol injector loom so the LPG ecu can turn the petrol injectors off when required. You will probably only be able to use the tank from your current system, everything else should be with the Injection kit.

I have vapor lpg injection on my EB, had it on there for over 4 years now. Running ok but i have a fuel issue up high in the rev range. I think either the injectors are too small or the lpg joint skimped & fit a small line from the tank to the lpg regulator. Next time i'm changing the filters, i'm going to measure the ID of the lpg line at both filters & see if it's 6 or 8mm. According to the documentation for my system, i should be running 8mm. If i am, i need the next lvl up injectors.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Manifold has to be removed from the car to fit the injector fittings for the lpg injectors, you don't want metal shavings inside your engine! A few small mods to the petrol injector loom so the LPG ecu can turn the petrol injectors off when required.
Yeah, it's a bit funny reading the BA falcon Impco injection install - they advise drilling the holes and using grease without removing the manifold :shock: .

ToranaGuy wrote:
I have vapor lpg injection on my EB, had it on there for over 4 years now. Running ok but i have a fuel issue up high in the rev range. I think either the injectors are too small or the lpg joint skimped & fit a small line from the tank to the lpg regulator. Next time i'm changing the filters, i'm going to measure the ID of the lpg line at both filters & see if it's 6 or 8mm. According to the documentation for my system, i should be running 8mm. If i am, i need the next lvl up injectors.
I take it your AutoGas Italia system has it's own ECU. From my research, the systems available are SVI, and seem to only be available for AU's and on, and piggyback the petrol ECU. We're talking I6's too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Yeah, it's a bit funny reading the BA falcon Impco injection install - they advise drilling the holes and using grease without removing the manifold :shock: .

:shock: They obviously don't worry about the metal that could still get into your engine!

Yep, it has it's own ECU. I've not seen any vapor injection systems that don't use their own ECU.

The AI system is available still, and suits almost any fuel injected car. I've seen a XF falcon with it installed, and my bro has it on a 98 tarago efi 4cyl van, and the van runs no worse than it did on petrol, lol. The AI can do seq or batch injection iirc. I've seen it fit to many BA & BF taxi's.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, thanks for the heads up - TBH it's been a while since I've researched, might've interpreted wrong about the ECU setup.
I do remember Bug having issues with his setup - wasn't an AI from memory though. He did buy the plug in tuners, etc. I was also under the impression that the kits weren't that expensive, it was mainly the labour in fitting, which doesn't seem to hard IMO.
I guess tuning it is another story.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

In regards to tuning it, my AI system has an Auto tune function in the software, you warm the car up on petrol to greater than 40deg C coolant temp, then you save your current data & start the auto tune. Long story short it read's your petrol injection timings, then asks you go take the engine to 3000rpm, reads injection timings & other bits along the way, the switches back & forth for a bit, then idles again & calculates it's timings.

All this is done while the car is stationary in neutral. I've found the tunes it auto calculates to be pretty good economy & power wise in my EB, but yes the same process on a dyno would achieve better results, as you can use their EGO sensor & fine tune the maps.

I just need to move some wiring that is in the way under the dash, it's taken a while but it's now damaged & causing power issues with my lpg system. Another fault of a bad install. But nothing i can't fix!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]