Fordmods Logo

OMVL dream XXI-N tuning equipment 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: OMVL dream XXI-N tuning equipment
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

Just wondering if anyone has bought the gear to tune their own injected gas system, OMVL dream XXI-N in particular?

You can buy equipment from

http://www.lpg-kits.com/interfaces.htm

I have managed to find the software myself but apparently the equip above comes with some anyway.

My system is currently tuned incorrectly but I could buy the gear and do it myself for under $200. Well in theory anyway

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've bought that kit, the serial one, and have begun to tune my injection system, Poliauto, a rebadged Autogas Italia Easyjet II system.

First thing i found, parnell had it set to the wrong sized injectors, jet 15's instead of the 18's fit to my car. Not to mention it was running rather lean up top.

Been playing with the maps, it's a lot better overall, but i still have room to improve the cruise map.

If you like tinkering, then why not get the kit & have a go, just make sure you save a backup tune before you go playing with it! Remember, you could blow your engine up if you tune it wrong, so be careful!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Yep I have gone ahead and ordered one.. I'll be sure to save a backup too. Cheers.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Bug wrote:
Yep I have gone ahead and ordered one.. I'll be sure to save a backup too. Cheers.

If the software for your system is anything like the Easyjet II, it may even have an " auto tune " feature, where you hit tune, then do as the software tells you, like leaving the car idle for a bit, then when it says you bring it to 3000rpm & hold it steady while it calc's the maps & changes back & forth between petrol & lpg, then you let it back to idle. The maps that i get from the auto tune are not too far off ideal. Much easier than starting from scratch!

Having said that, i would love to get some dyno time to tune it properly under load, instead of just sitting stationary going thru the tune.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Well not much luck so far.. It all connects and seems fine, but after you start the engine, you only get about 30 seconds before the software locks up.

Not enough time to do a calibration, It unfreezes when you unplug the cable, but I have tried everything. Different software/firmware..

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I've got an OMVL converter in my LTD, not sure what computer its running though. If mine is supported I might grab it off you and try it. if it works, I can take it off your hands :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
I've got an OMVL converter in my LTD, not sure what computer its running though. If mine is supported I might grab it off you and try it. if it works, I can take it off your hands :)

These kits are not for tuning converters, they are for tuning LPG Injection ECU's. If you have a traditional converter & mixer system, these kits won't do anything for you. The website lists the supported LPG Injection kits.

Bug -> re the software lockups. I was having a lotta trouble initially as well, i had blackberry desktop software on my laptop, which plays funny buggers with all the com ports, inc creating a few virtual ports. Did a clean install of Winblows, and all was good. I now have a boot loader on the laptop so i can have all my work gear ( i'm a network engineer, onsite a lot ) on one win2k install & a 2nd clean install just for tuning the car. Also have a fallback win98 install as well, which also works fine for tuning the car.

I'm so close to having my tune really good now. It's got great pickup & even a great idle, but above 4500rpm, if i spin the engine that hard, then grab for the next gear, i find that it coughs & f@rt's around when the rev's drop. If i spin it to just below 4500rpm, then grab the next gear, say moving from 1st to 2nd or even 2nd to 3rd, i can chirp the tyres into the gear i'm changing into, and then it winds out again, for the next change. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Hmmm.. Interesting.

I have the OMVL Dream XXI Gear, and the prog cable. Did you guys also get the Key to enable to advanced tuning?

Ive had it on my escape for the past 12 months. The only problem I get is when its cold - the EEC-V in the escape does some interesting Group Fire/Sequential Switching, and the ECU does struggle with figuring out which way its going sometimes.

I am, of course, in the process of tuning that all out.

Not too bad though : I get good mileage, and it starts easy.

Any ideas on the Group Fire thing would be appreciated. At the moment the most recognisable symptop is a stutter as your moving off idle.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Waggin wrote:

These kits are not for tuning converters, they are for tuning LPG Injection ECU's. If you have a traditional converter & mixer system, these kits won't do anything for you. The website lists the supported LPG Injection kits.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. As I said, need to find out what computer i'm running :P

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. As I said, need to find out what computer i'm running :P

Who fit your lpg? They should be able to tell you what gear is installed in your car.

Even a traditional system in an EFI car will have a small sorta computer that will turn off the petrol injectors & fool the car's ECU into thinking all is ok.

Nigel,

You have just given me something to think about, regarding your post of the injection changing from sequential to batch/group fire. I think i have read somewhere all the EEC run sequential below a certain RPM, and then above it switch to batch/group fire.

That would indeed throw my lpg ecu into chaos trying to work out wtf is going on. What happens when it coughs & f@rt's, i find the trip computer's figures for instant economy climb all the way to 99, then it will drop off in a couple of stages. I've got a feeling that swapping cogs @ 4500 rpm brings my rpm in the next gear down to somewhere around 3000rpm, wonder if the trigger point for injection change is somewhere in that range?

There is no issue when running on petrol, hell i can wind it past 5000, then grab the next cog & there is no complaints from the engine, just the power & speed keeps coming. I do have to say tho, in my Tuning & Troubleshooting, i've not gone past 3rd gear, as the top of that is already into naughty territory, and not all that far off the speed limiter! :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Nigel wrote:
Hmmm.. Interesting.

I have the OMVL Dream XXI Gear, and the prog cable. Did you guys also get the Key to enable to advanced tuning?

I did not get the eng key but I might because the extra map's settings etc looks very nice, I might also try and crack the software myself, not that im too skilled in that department.

Regarding the high rev behaviour. A band aid solution is to get the latest version of the OMVL software (4.67 I think ) and enable the new petrol fallback features. At high rpm it will switch back seamlessly when theres delivery problems. This is apparently unnoticeable to the driver as the cabin switch will not indicate any change.

Also regards to Waggin and not knowing his computer, the equipment supports many brands but if you have a Dream XXI setup you need to make sure have a later 'N' ECU as the earlier ones require an extra usb key.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Bug,

That switchback your talking about, i take it that is like what i've read about an LPGI system that can be fit to XR6 Turbo falcon's, but once the fuel requirements of the engine get to a certain point, it automatically switches back to petrol?

I've been digging around my PoliAuto / EasyJet ecu, and i've found that there is function to get ecu to switch back to petrol, usually it's triggered by a pressure sensor in the fuel delivery before the regulator, if pressure drops below a certain point, it will switch back, to stop you from running the injectors dry. Parnell didn't fit the pressure sensor in my car. :(

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ah that is a shame, I wonder how difficult it would be to fit. I know this is a feature that is fast becomming standard on most lpgi systems.

Just a thaught, does your system switch back to petrol when the lpg is empty automatically? I assumed it would use the same mechanism.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Bug wrote:
Ah that is a shame, I wonder how difficult it would be to fit. I know this is a feature that is fast becomming standard on most lpgi systems.

Just a thaught, does your system switch back to petrol when the lpg is empty automatically? I assumed it would use the same mechanism.

For what i paid for the conversion, about twice a standard conversion's price @ the time, it should have been fit! It wouldn't be too hard to fit, but none the less a lic lpg installer would have to do the job.

Cut the copper line, flare it if required, and fit the pressure sensor to the line. Then wire up a couple wires from it to the LPG ecu via it's loom, and set it up in the ECU.

I don't think i'll bother with it to be honest, have too many other more important things to worry about, like getting the mixture right! I'm thinking about buying or building a cheap a/f ratio meter for some assistance in the tuning dept.

Had any more luck with tuning yours Bug?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Post subject: Re: OMVL dream XXI-N tuning equipment
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

FFS, Boemo Engineering want $200 just for the damn cable.

I can get the entire/complete set of cable's for less than that delivered & i can do all the different LPG systems.

For 1 type of cable/set up they only want like UK₤30 + shipping.

I know this is a super old thread however i have an Autogas EasyJet II SLPG system in my car.

I wouldn't mind tinkering a little see what i can get out of it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next