Fordmods Logo

OMVL R90e, losing power or gas flow at high rpm 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: OMVL R90e, losing power or gas flow at high rpm
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

I pulled apart my OMVL R90e for the 2nd time due to a a strange noise comming from the comvert when accelerating. 1st time its was gunked up, 2nd time was after being retuned at the shop.

Anyhow, I reassemled it, replaced 1 rubber o-ring on the sensitivity screw (was mangled and broken, probably from many adjustment). Fitted it back to the car.

It again idles great, no dead spots, but now after the 2nd pulldown and reassemble I find it starves of gas if I put my foot down a heavy, light acceleration is ok (very light). If I accelerate to heavy the power drops off similar to running low on gas.

I assume I might not have assembled the regulator part of the OMVL R90e correctly this time around. Inside that part of the converter is a small spring with a nut and around that is a larger spring. (sorry no pics), for those that know what I am talking about, do I have to tighten the nut further for more gas pressure ?, cause when I looked at it I couldn't see how it controlls pressure, it seems to just sit fixed to a shaft that fits to a knuckle which pivots and closes gas flow.

While I wait for any reply I will tighten the nut and see how it goes. I don't think I did anything different the 2nd time around, everything looks the same to me.

Some please pop in some advice.

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I have taken a picture to show the section I mean

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

My OMVL was having problems and i rebuilt it and it had exactly the same problem as yours. I had another look inside and spoke to three LPG mechanics and the general consensus was to always buy a new one because you can have problems with them after rebuilds and it's just not worth it. Unfortunately.

Hope you can work out the problem though. One bloke did mention to me something about bending a tab back, but when i asked him again he just said get a new one.

After months of stuffing around i made an estimate of how much more i had paid in fuel because the lpg wasn't running, and it was far more than the cost of a new converter, even though i don't really do many kays. You want to fix your lpg quick because otherwise it costs you in petrol money.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Post subject: Re: OMVL R90e, losing power or gas flow at high rpm
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Last time lucky. Some more junk made it in to the converter, maybe from the pipe between the filter and the converter. Anyhow, runs sweet once again, maybe a tad down on power, but hardly noticeable. I will give it a week or so before I get it tuned to make sure it doesn't need time to settle down after being dismantled and reassembled several time this week.

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:55 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Anyone here know much about the OMVL R90 ? I would like to know how to check and increase the gas pressure slightly in the converter. I am suspect about it not being high enough after a few heavy footed runs. Although it is running great once again it does seem slightly down on power with the throttle wide open, there is only 2 adjustment on the outside of the converter and nothing realy to adjust on the inside of the converter.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

There was a bloke on here that put an extra washer between the spring you showed above and the recess in the body, to get more flow. I tried this but it didn't fix my problem, don't know about yours.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]