Post subject: Re: petrol plus HHO?
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

Quote:
hey im new here but u obviously know what your talking about
i recommend not trying to light hydrogen with a match (personal experience)
hydrogen has a octane of 130 where petrol is only around 85-90 so yeah its gonna go boom faster
ive made a fully functioning wet cell generator it works beatifully but its not all that effiecient so im now making a dry cell in a couple of months im going to get a cheap datto and run hydrogen through it

yer i was going to do it but lack of space in the engine bay, and other issues prevented me, plus to be honest im sure as we covered before the 4L engine is just to big to run with HHO effectively. if i had the money/space to throw at a project, my car of choice would probably be pretty similar to your choice on the datto.

my wet cell disintegrated when i used NaOH (55% drain cleaner) as my catalyst; it ate up my tin foil plates :lol: . if 316L stainless steal wasn't so friken expensive i would make a generator for sh!ts and gigs. but then again i was looking at making up a design with over 30 plates!!!!!!!! i worked out the cost to be around over $100 just in plates.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

yeah i know what your talking about my HHO generator (wetcell) is awesome it runs but havent tested it on the datto yet still waiting to find one sorry but soon as i do im making 3 drycell generators around 20 plates in each with a bigger altinator in the datto as you say for s**t and gigs lol
if you want i can post some pictures of my HHO (first ever made By me) so if ya want just say so (i used stainless steel from around the place also ive heard platinum plates are better for it but more costly)

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

just don't forget that you need to produce allot of HHO gas to effectively lower an engines petrol consumption. and usually a lot of gas requires a lot of power, which in turn puts more strain on your engine, so don't be shocked with the fuel consumption doesn't drop like some of the yanks say it will.
for example, lets say a 1.5L engine is being powered, and we can assume it has a 90% air volume efficiency. at 1000rpm that's 1350L of air sucked in per minute. (unless Ive done my maths wrong).
i remember skimming over somewhere that a ratio of air:HHO is 34:1 to provide effective HHO running. so in other words you need to produce just under 40L of HHO per minute, to make the car more efficient at 1000rpm.
# im not 100% sure on that ratio as their is actually less energy in HHO then in petrol, may be wrong but i think thats got to do with my the octane rating is so high.
by the way, fiat 500 is a 2 cylinder 500cc engine, some modification would have to be done to fit an alternator but that's the smallest engine i can think of placed in a car.

soooooo in other words for the ultimate sh!ts and giggles project, try to help power the cells with other sources of energy :twisted: solar panel roof anyone?? :lol:

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

hmmmmm sounds a bit hard to swallow. Lets see some vids of it actually running on a car...(it'll probably end up on youtube with all the perpetual motion machines...)

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
hmmmmm sounds a bit hard to swallow. Lets see some vids of it actually running on a car...(it'll probably end up on youtube with all the perpetual motion machines...)

already is :?

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

i'd hate to see a backfire with this type of setup lol bye bye airbox.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
i'd hate to see a backfire with this type of setup lol bye bye airbox.

this is why HHO set ups use a bubbler and then a 1 way valve to eliminate backfires. as a back fire in a air box is one thing, but a back fire into a HHO generator equals massive damage.

as i said in one of the previous post theoretically about 40L of HHO per minute is requires for running a 1.5L engine at 1000rpm... a relatively powerful HHO generator pushes only 3-5L per minute of HHO.
so if someone was to do this it would be more so for sh!ts and giggles rather then actually increasing their fuel consumption.
so please dont see me as a person that falls easily for these scams, i am merrily a uni science student

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

i dont really care much for the maths side but i intend to put alot of money into it 2 make this car run im making my drycell hho generator soon so hopefully its more efficient then the wetcell like everyone says they are. but im putting a 30watt altenator in the datto for maximum input with 3 banks of batteries in the boot and the drycells under the bottet because they got alot of space underthere(hopefully 3 or 4 drycells)
:o
lets see how this goes

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
i dont really care much for the maths side but i intend to put alot of money into it 2 make this car run im making my drycell hho generator soon so hopefully its more efficient then the wetcell like everyone says they are. but im putting a 30watt altenator in the datto for maximum input with 3 banks of batteries in the boot and the drycells under the bottet because they got alot of space underthere(hopefully 3 or 4 drycells)
:o
lets see how this goes

the maths separates the fantasy from the reality. at about 2k revs (around cruising) a 1.5L engine will need about 80Lpm of HHO to make it fuel efficient, even with 3 or 4 large generators that sort of production of HHO is very hard to maintain reliably or for any longer then 5 mins, also remember to much power to the cells you will start to over heat them and produce water vapor. not to mention the strain on your electrical system that is in-turn put back onto your engine, which then leads to increased fuel/HHO consumption. as the law states energy and mater can not be created, only converted.

on the side note with 3 battery's you could dedicate one to running the car and the other two to power the generator. the alternator will struggle/fail to keep charge, so look out side the box, try to find other ways of creating free energy.
either way lots and lots of pictures would be good to see :D also once you make your cells post up the output of them, if you haven't already using a plastic bottle filled with water, upside down in a water bath, with a hose from the bubbler running inside the bottle is a good way to measure the output of your cell.

im hoping to build a dry cell soonish, as i just want one for s**t and gigs, only thing is their so bloody expensive to build. i was thinking a small unit just to fill some bottles up with HHO for some fun

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

yeah its pritty fun to put bottles of hydrogen on a fire (done it myself) but becareful im making my new ones around 15 cm by 15cm im hoping with o rings and so on but ill defidently post some photoes of the progress of you guys want it plus dattos are reliable so im going to run the 30w altinator off of it and improve all the wiring in the car so im going to see how it goes and if it run on hyrogen ill pput the plans up and tally up how much it costed. :D

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

theirs a type of rubber you can buy, cant remember the name of it but Clark rubber sell it in sheets, it starts with N and its not natural rubber. Use that to make a frame instead of a O-ring, as you'll get more surface area. where are you getting your plates from and are you using 316L grade SS.
photos yes please :lol: and what size engine is the datto, as i said you need allot of gas to to lower your fuel consumption in a small engine at low revs.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

i dont know what size the datto is but im pritty sure its a 1.6 or something (unsure) but ill try that rubber from clark rubber see if its worth the money since i just got a tonne of 0 rings hanging around
and the pictures of the car or the wetcell gen?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ive heard that Neoprene Rubber is the best to use as it doesn't corrode like normal rubber will.
pics of the dry cell when you build it, also where are you planing on getting your plates from, as im trying to build a small dry cell but still dont want to spend $100+ in stainless steel alone, as 316L is one of the more expensive grades.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

i got no idea where im getting the steal but i got so many projects on the go im spending over a grand this week on projects fun i think yes but im going to price some steal like that. im thinking something like bunnings or some steel fabricator i dont know

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bunnings will be pretty expensive (about $46 a sheet cant remember distentions but its 0.5 thick), for me to muck around it will cost over 100 bucks in steel alone. to make a small generator to my linking it will set me back over 150 just to have some fun.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next