Fordmods Logo

Poliauto vs airod vs gas research 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Poliauto vs airod vs gas research
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Injected Gas T5 Convert

VIC, Australia

Hi all I hav a Poliauto gas converter in my 95 ef i6 that has now givin up my mech says it's common and has seen them fail and pour water into the engine through the gas feed?

Now new challenge is to work out what to do? They offered a new Poliauto converter starting at $800+ in and out change over next is to try and use a airod coverter with Poliauto electrics at $5-600 then add another $500 to re-wire and computer with airod parts OR just go buy a gas research kit for around $1,200

So who thinks you can run a airod off a Poliauto elec system? Which is best value for money? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
STDAIC

Post subject: Re: Poliauto vs airod vs gas research
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The airod wont work properly with the poliauto stuff,
I've never bought a poliauto converter but $800+ seems a bit much for replacing 'like for like'.

In all honesty if all you want is an economical car to drive around a landi or OMVL converter and cheap Gastec FP32 processor will do just fine. My car runs a Landi with the gastec and gets pretty good economy. The mixer ring should be 42mm to 45mm depending on the design.

When you spend $1200 for the GRA kit you still need it fitted and the electrics changed over so it's going to cost a few dollars.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I am lookin into it more I can get a rebuild kit for my Poliauto for $250 but who in the s/e melb - gippsland area can rebuild gas converters? I am also runnin a 150kw+ motor with a 5speed so it needs to be able to flow well and enough to keep up with the motor whatever I end up using. I also was getting up to 600kms from 65lts of gas on long trips but was runnin pretty lean but somethin close would be good as to why I would like to keep what I have

STADIC

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If your running that sort of power, you should really consider the gas research system, as either a 42 or 45mm mixer ring is going to be very restrictive and probably not let you run the power you want. Otherwise you need to look at an impco system, like a 225 or a 425 setup.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Total flow through an impco 225 is no better then a 45mm mixer ring.
There is no getting away from the fact that those types of LPG systems are going to be restrictive.
Be it a mixer ring or an impco mixer.

The only way to get rid of the restriction is to go injection.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Hi I am in Bayswater and can rebuild your converter. Yes I am a licensed fitter. PM me if you want to Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
There is no getting away from the fact that those types of LPG systems are going to be restrictive.

I thought the 225 flowed better than a 45mm mixer? Anyway, you are somewhat right about the injection. Just need to get a kit that supports good power. There are plenty of kits, some cheap, that only support around 200 fwkw, which isn't all that much really.

My Easyjet system is one I can suggest to stay away from for a performance car, it's too limited, and it's old tech these days. I've had it since 2004.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ToranaGuy wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

I thought the 225 flowed better than a 45mm mixer? Anyway, you are somewhat right about the injection. Just need to get a kit that supports good power. There are plenty of kits, some cheap, that only support around 200 fwkw, which isn't all that much really.

My Easyjet system is one I can suggest to stay away from for a performance car, it's too limited, and it's old tech these days. I've had it since 2004.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

It depends on the actual 45mm mixer ring we are talking about. Not all mixer rings are equal.
I've got a box of old mixers at work, Looking through them there some absolutely disgusting designs out there. For performance you also need to took at the way vapour is fed into and distributed through the mixer before it enters the air stream.

LPG and performance becomes a bigger problem for cars built 2004-on. They are required by law to use an emissions certified kit. That rules out any mixing and matching of parts, so you are stuck with whats available in kit form.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

How do any of the mixer ring setups meet emissions standards on a 2004 onwards car?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I don't think any of them do.
Every time i've inquired about kits for 04 and newer it's always been injection.

The only ones i've seen with mixer rings are factory stuff, as Ford design to ADRs and ADRs trump AS1425.
It's stupid the way it works.

Convert a BF falcon and you need to use a certified kit, which will mean injection, but Ford can pump out egas cars with a s**t vialle mixer ring setup.
And if that factory system needs a replacement converter you must fit a vialle converter of the right type and the ones to suit the ford system are about $100 dearer.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6

U may want to look into the BLOS mixer from BRC and this dude from ford forums has been tlkaing about it and having great results, in power and economy................

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLOS-Propane-Carbur ... 3363da262b

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

that BLOS system looks like it could be a good answer to a mixer and at under $200 alot cheaper then gas research i would like to know if anyone has tried one yet and how its worked out and what system they used it with?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]