Fordmods Logo

Questions about car not starting on LPG ***Update on pg 2 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Questions about car not starting on LPG ***Update on pg 2
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 EFII Ford Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Ok, so a couple of days ago my car wouldn't start (it's an LPG-only car)

RACV came up to help me out, he squirted in a bit of petrol a few times, until the car would start under lpg, this is the first time this has happened to me.

I'm still learning about LPG, and what he told me is there it a diaphragm inside the converter that can stick when it's cold, and once it warms up even a little bit, it should get going fine.

This morning, I went to start my car and the same thing happened, do I now have to fill a small bottle of fuel and do the same thing he did? Are there any other options? What can I do to stop this from happening.

Thanks in advance,

renegade334

1996 EFII Falcon XR6 - K&N Pod Filter - Otherwise stock as a rock

Last edited by renegade334 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Sometimes the gas converter can freeze up on cold mornings, you should be able to tell this easily, by touch, it will be damn cold, or by the F**k' huge block of ice that forms around the converter.

If this happens, boil a kettle and slowly poor over converter to unfreeze it, but slowly, don't want to change the temp too fast, could crack it.

Happened a couple of times to me in my Torana years ago. Had a very pov LPG setup with Amos ring & complex converter. I don't have this issue with my LPG Injected EB, but when the engine is too cold & it changes over to LPG, it runs like a hung over dog! Until the engine warms up.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 EFII Ford Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Sometimes the gas converter can freeze up on cold mornings, you should be able to tell this easily, by touch, it will be damn cold, or by the F**k' huge block of ice that forms around the converter.

Thanks for your reply, it's a little cold here, but not "tongue frozen to pole" cold.

ToranaGuy wrote:
]
If this happens, boil a kettle and slowly poor over converter to unfreeze it, but slowly, don't want to change the temp too fast, could crack it.

Just before I got your reply, I was sitting at home thinking "the problem is that the converter is cold.... how do i warm it up?"

So I blew a hair-dryer over it for about 3 mins, and she started first go, so maybe I should put a heat-pack or somthing around it before I leave in the mornings.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

renegade334

1996 EFII Falcon XR6 - K&N Pod Filter - Otherwise stock as a rock

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Might be time to think about putting a kit through the convertor

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

station-rat wrote:
Might be time to think about putting a kit through the convertor

Not a bad idea, if the kit doesn't cost an arm & a leg! As the converter may be clogged up & not flowing properly. If your water flow it good enough, even a 0 deg morning the car should start on LPG. It may not run very well until warmed up, but it should start & idle to be able to warm up.

I ended up rebuilding the converter in my Torana, a Landi. After the rebuild, never had an issue with it freezing up again. It's that long ago i don't even remember what the kit cost, but it wasn't too steep.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

mine tends to start then stall as the gas converter needs to warm up before it will run. I always warm up on petrol on cold days.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Thanks for your reply, it's a little cold here, but not "tongue frozen to pole" cold try a anti freeze\coolant,i use the nulon one---never freezes or overheats,and the motor runs a little cooler than normal.check all your hoses for age and breaking down internally.if you know how to clean the water passage in the converter.flush the system out and use the anti freeze-make sure you bleed all the air out\converter and heater.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Holden WK Statesman

VIC, Australia

my brother has a wh statesman that runs on lpg and his car wont turn over. it starts on petrol and then when he goes to gas it wont turnover, if it does start it goes for about 2 seconds and then turns off. my mechanic says that its not getting any power to the system. any thoughts on the situation?

The People's Dog

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Holden WK Statesman

VIC, Australia

problem solved

The People's Dog

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

If the car won't start at all then the problem isn't freezing, because you've got to run some gas through the system for it to freeze. If freezing was the issue, normally they give poor performance and then within a few hundred metres of driving cut out or nearly cut out. I have just found this to happen on my XG, i am in cold country.

Regarding rebuilding the converter, i put a kit through my OMVL for about $120. I'm confident i didn't make any mistakes, but it isn't working. A new one costs around $350.

In my experience most LPG fitters don't actually rebuild converters, they just buy new ones, not only because of the labour cost bringing the total cost up to a new one anyway, but also because even for them they can't be sure it will work properly after it's been rebuilt.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

ever pulled one apart? they are dead simple how could you go wrong? But at only $300 for a new one guaranteed I wouldn't mind going that option if stuffing with old free ones doesnt work out.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
If the car won't start at all then the problem isn't freezing, because you've got to run some gas through the system for it to freeze. If freezing was the issue, normally they give poor performance and then within a few hundred metres of driving cut out or nearly cut out. I have just found this to happen on my XG,
no power to solenoids-tank and converter,dead motor switch may have a fuse and pilot led to show power on.a leak in line between the solenoids--loose nuts on the line,only lpg is in the short run and converter--motor runs 2-3 secs,then dies.but some gas filled the service line and hasnt reached the converter or a solenoid is faulty,not opening fully.all my v8s and 6s start cold on lpg and reach normal temp in 2-3 ks.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
ever pulled one apart? they are dead simple how could you go wrong? But at only $300 for a new one guaranteed I wouldn't mind going that option if stuffing with old free ones doesnt work out.

As i mentioned i rebuilt my OMVL, so yes, i did pull it apart. Have you pulled one of these apart? I would say it's fairly simple, but not dead simple. I have twice heard something about bending a tab, maybe over time a tab bends and needs to be bent back. But i don't know.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
If the car won't start at all then the problem isn't freezing, because you've got to run some gas through the system for it to freeze. If freezing was the issue, normally they give poor performance and then within a few hundred metres of driving cut out or nearly cut out. I have just found this to happen on my XG,
no power to solenoids-tank and converter,dead motor switch may have a fuse and pilot led to show power on.a leak in line between the solenoids--loose nuts on the line,only lpg is in the short run and converter--motor runs 2-3 secs,then dies.but some gas filled the service line and hasnt reached the converter or a solenoid is faulty,not opening fully.all my v8s and 6s start cold on lpg and reach normal temp in 2-3 ks.

That's going to take a few reads before i hopefully comprehend.

I note that i haven't actually tuned the converter because i was just testing at first and it seemed okay. The LPG usage seems high, so the tuning may be playing a role in the freezing. The outside temp at these times was in the region of two layers plus a jacket doing moderate activity. The radiator is fully clean and the thermostat should be good, plus with these outside temps the temp guage spends a fair amount of time only just into the normal zone (then again, the LPG mixture might be playing a role in the engine temp, does oversupply cool the motor like with petrol?).

Post subject: Re: Questions about car not starting on LPG
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

[quote="renegade334"]Ok, so a couple of days ago my car wouldn't start (it's an LPG-only car)

Did you fill up at a Shell outlet? If so you may have some of the contaminated LPG that was around at that time, refer to their web site.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next