Post subject: Renzo Landi Balance Line
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi all
I have a Renzo Landi convertor running to a mixer ring on the 5.0 in my Maverick (4x4). It is an old style convertor. My system is only running an injector cut that is all.
It was tuned at the gas joint today and I asked about where to fit a balance pipe from the airbox as I run a Safari snorkel on the front guard. They just gave me a dumb look.
Anyway the truck runs ok , but as expected is stalling when backing off and pulling up. I tried reversing the snorkel head to no avail.
I obviously need this balance line so where do I fit it to my convertor?
There is an open port on the back of the convertor that seems to have the centre of the diaphram behind it. Also there is an allen head blank on the side under the sensitivity adjustment. Otherwise I can see nowhere else to fit it.
Any ideas?
Matt

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: f150

NSW, Australia

go to the gas research site,they talk about a balance pipe and they have a kit you can buy.i think from memory the info was on there download section.

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

redeffie wrote:
go to the gas research site,they talk about a balance pipe and they have a kit you can buy.i think from memory the info was on there download section.

Thanks for the info but I really dont think a gas research kit will help me when I am not using Gas Research stuff.
Making it up isnt the problem its just know where to plug it to on the convertor so I dont screw it up.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: f150

NSW, Australia

the gra kit fits onto the middle of the convertor,evidently you remove the primer button and run a hose from a elbow adapter to the intake hose,but you are right,they use a simple type convertor and their system may not work on yours,just a bit of info for ya,hope ya get yours sorted

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

use the port at the back of the converter, it should be next to the mounting bolt.
i dont think it really matters what size hose you use but i'd say go with 1/2" or 5/8" heater hose should be fine.
You can put the entry for the balance tube anywhere you like between the air filter & snorkel entry.
It would be better if you can get the pickup point right in the center of the intake ducting as well.

Let us know how it goes.

One of the BA 6 cyl taxi's I fix at work has a landi lse98 converter on it, 5/8" heater hose for the balance pipe that runs along the top of the radiator into a 90deg plastic barb screwed directly into the mouth of the air intake facing towards incoming airflow.
It works 100% no problems whatsoever. the 90deg barb looks a bit dodgy but it works.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:03 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

luke111 wrote:
use the port at the back of the converter, it should be next to the mounting bolt.
i dont think it really matters what size hose you use but i'd say go with 1/2" or 5/8" heater hose should be fine.
You can put the entry for the balance tube anywhere you like between the air filter & snorkel entry.
It would be better if you can get the pickup point right in the center of the intake ducting as well.

Let us know how it goes.

One of the BA 6 cyl taxi's I fix at work has a landi lse98 converter on it, 5/8" heater hose for the balance pipe that runs along the top of the radiator into a 90deg plastic barb screwed directly into the mouth of the air intake facing towards incoming airflow.
It works 100% no problems whatsoever. the 90deg barb looks a bit dodgy but it works.

100% correct , but i did pickup that you turned the snorkel which would do away with a ram air problem , sure ya dont have an air leak aswell

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

why is the balance pipe so important and why would it affect it when your "backing off and pulling up"??

Post subject: balance line
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

how long is the intake track from your throtle body to the opening of your safari snorkel, (out side) ???? & where have you put the balance pipe in ??

Joe

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been flat out stuffing around doing stuff and kinda forgot about this.
I fitted a 1/2" line into the rear of the convertor and fitted that into the top of the Ford airbox , next to where the factory inlet piping attaches. Pretty much right next to the MAF. Truck runs like s**t. Wont drive properly , coughs , f@rt so I disconnected it again and thats where I left it at.

AUXR8 2 in responce to your question from the top of the snorkel to the throttle body is around the 2 metre mark in total if you laid it out straight. The inlet for the balance pipe is as stated above. I most probably got it wrong.

Now it appears that my convertor and mixer ring is too small as they were the original ones that were on the old 6. It goes well at take off ect but it leans out in the top end and dies in the a*** on the freeway at 110. To do 110 is full throttle!
I have been quoted $600 for a V8 mixer ring and convertor in Lando Renzi gear but the guy I saw reckons that I may not ever get rid of the snorkel problem. Im tossing up whether to stick with the Lando Renzi stuff or change it over to an IMPCO system. Any ideas and a rough price at all?

xr6turnip wrote:

Post subject: balance pipe
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I had a carbi Nissan patrol that was doing the same thing I ran a 5/8 heater hose from the back of the convertor up to aprox 10 inchers short from the opening of the safari snorkle, they suffer the same efect as the Fords do when comming to a stop/slowing down the back of the convertor needs to sense the ram air to counter act the positive on one side & negative on the other side effect...also to find out if your mixer is to small there is a method that you use to work out what the right size is as this can & will determin the signal to the convertor as a to big mixer will have a low signal & run to lean right through the range & a to small mixer will run out of air speed basicly flatline at the top end but the convertor may still be able to deliver more gas, I have to find the paper work on this as my memory isnt the best these days :roll: also your balance line regardless where its fitted at idle only will not efect the engine running condition look for another problem !!!

Joe

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If you can check on that for me mate that would be great. i think I might have to bring the wreck down to see you on my next Monday off and see what we can do with it.
Matt

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
If you can check on that for me mate that would be great. i think I might have to bring the wreck down to see you on my next Monday off and see what we can do with it.
Matt

Sorry Matt I havent forgotten you just works really bussy do you still want the info on that ???

thanks

Joe

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]