Fordmods Logo

Running out of lpg 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

It is illegal in NSW(plus dangerous) to carry a "spare" LPG bottle in a closed part of the car, Your LPG tank, if in the boot is vented to outside air via the thick plastic hose the filler runs through, if it leaks,it vents, if a non vented bottle leaks in the boot, good chance of....KA BOOOOM.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

where to get a fitting from though?
I was thinking of going straight gas and putting in 2 tanks for mega capacity like 150L or so. Someone around here has a F100 ute with a massive 400L plus gas tank on the tray. It goes all the way across about 6ft and is about 2ft diameter.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Whilst I agree its illegal, I believe its also illegal to carry fuel containers in the car for the same reason (lawn mower cans etc).

People will do what they will do - thats how they fill their LPG Bottles.

The illegal bit as I was advised >10 years ago was the hose to adapt the bottle to the filler.

Nigel

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
I was thinking of going straight gas and putting in 2 tanks for mega capacity like 150L or so. Someone around here has a F100 ute with a massive 400L plus gas tank on the tray. It goes all the way across about 6ft and is about 2ft diameter.

The factory e-gas model has two tanks, one under the floor where the petrol tank used to be (i think) and another in the spare wheel well, the spare wheel then resides in the cargo area. I would definitely go extra capacity on straight gas.

I imagine it would be cheaper and easier to get a fitting to plumb into the LPG line either to or from the tank. You might get one from a converter or gas supplier.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I saw a dual bottle tank set up on ebay recently from an AU including cradle and twin tanks for about 115L capacity. I am sure you would fit 2x 90L tanks side by side in the Wagon. I need to make a cradle that replaces the whole fuel tank and not half as the conventional dual fuel set ups do. Incidentally the fuel tank on my current Ef was made a bit bigger than my EL was. I can get about 43L or so of petrol in. The EL held about 37L. The Gas tank is the same from both. about 73L useable gas. Over the years it holds less gas too, about 68L! Maybe it has been filling up with water? I thought the AFL valve was going off adjustment?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

On the propane issue. I used to live in Kyneton and there was a servo there that sold pure propane. I am not sure if my car ran better or went further? There were a lot of people that bought forklift bottles and used them at their houses. It was cheaper and simpler to go down with a couple in the boot and fill them up for the stove and hot water.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

The factory e-gas model has two tanks, one under the floor where the petrol tank used to be (i think) and another in the spare wheel well, the spare wheel then resides in the cargo area. I would definitely go extra capacity on straight gas.

I imagine it would be cheaper and easier to get a fitting to plumb into the LPG line either to or from the tank. You might get one from a converter or gas supplier.

it actually has a totally redesigned boot floor and twin tanks side by side width ways across the car.
in the petrol cars (BA onwards) the petrol tank actually fits under the rear seat and is shaped up and over the rear suspension unit.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I will have a look under my work mates BA this week and see what his petrol wagon has for reference. I really hate the spare wheel relocation. always been a crappy set up. They recken just use a repair squirt can and leave the spare at home.... I don't like not having a spare at all!
I have successfully repaired several tyres with 4wd type repair kits but no good for larger holes than nails or screws. I have had 2 larger holes over the years 1 was a huge tent peg on a dirt trck and one a large bolt coming out of a servo.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I saw a dual bottle tank set up on ebay recently from an AU including cradle and twin tanks for about 115L capacity.

My straight gas one tonner with 5.8L motor had a 130L tank with 113L usable. That was good.

Quote:
I am sure you would fit 2x 90L tanks side by side in the Wagon.

Do you mean inside the cargo area or underneath? Inside you could fit a wacky amount, if you don't care to carry much else.

Quote:
Maybe it has been filling up with water?

I don't know. I don't see how water could get in but that doesn't rule it out. Sometimes lubricants are added to gas transfer systems for the sake of the pumps, maybe oil has built up?

If i went straight gas in my EB sedan i would remove the petrol tank and maybe fit one of the toroid (spare wheel well tanks) there. It might even be held up okay by the existing straps.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba wagon

VIC, Australia

Dont ask for a breakdown hose as they are illeagl but a "forklift bottle decanting hose" that is used to fill fork tanks from blue topped cylenders

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '79 XD Falcon Wagon

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Whilst I agree its illegal, I believe its also illegal to carry fuel containers in the car for the same reason (lawn mower cans etc).
Actually, the reason that's illegal is because of the risk of static electricity causing a spark - that's illegal for a very good reason!

http://www.xfords.com

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Before the advent of the big green bins (sulos) it was a task of mine as a child to burn our excess rubbish. One day i was given a heap of old clothes and they didn't want to burn. So i went into the shed and got the two-stroke fuel, and held it up high and poured some on the clothes. Of course the fire travelled up the stream of fuel, and lit the spout of the can. So i tried to blow it out. Once . . . twice . . . no good . . . then a huff with all of my force, and i blew it out.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey we often used a bit of petrol to light up a damp incinerator.
I was talking about removing the petrol tank altogether and making a cradle for dual gas tanks. I know you could fit 2 x 90L tanks in the wagon spare wheel/fuel compartment. you could also fabricate a box tank for petrol as since you dont need room for the spare you can have a simple rectangular tank. It would also be possible to fabricate a larger petrol tank to sit beside the gas tank if you wanted to.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i always put pure propane in my eb with impco system and never have a problem, apparently it burns cleaner, better combustion and also is supposed to boost the k's a little, it smells better too....butane is crap, it is a waste product..

Near where I live at the Mo, 100% Propane is actually cheaper then LPG Blend (Propane+ butane)

61.2 and 64.9 respectively....

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what suburb is that mate?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Sort by