Fordmods Logo

Rural Autogas - Ripoff?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rural Autogas - Ripoff??
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

Last weekend I took the wife and son down to Batlow for the weekend, to get some cherries. Turns out we were 2 weeks to early :-) but it was a fun trip anyway.

Anyways, I filled up the Gas tank in Sydney as we were leaving for 55.9 cpl, (I usually pay 52.9 cpl at Northmead)

In Marulan at the service centre, (where we were staying) I noticed that the autogas was 62 cpl. Pretty fair, considering that there are extra transport costs.

In Yass the price was dearer again. 66cpl.
Again, considering the volumes, I guess this isn't too unreasonable.

However I got the shock of all shocks when I pulled in on the way home, south of Gundagai, on the hume highway at the BP.

87 cents per litre for Autogas! Thats 32 cents per litre more than I paid in Sydney! 157% the Sydney price!

Has anyone else found this in rural areas that have no competition? I seriously can't see how they can justify such a massive markup, considering the Unleaded was only about 10c dearer.

NOTE: I didn't buy it there. I waited until I got to Yass. Thank God for Dual-fuel!

Post subject: lp gas ripof
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

This thing with the gas price has been going on for years. If the the government was fair-dinkum about stopping price fixing allso known as (collusion) (rorting) or (racqueteering) they would asset strip the oil comp and take them over and jail the executives or may be gas them.

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 158 rwkw

i notice that going to country victoria! Cause they the only place around they can do what they like! Best way of putting it is ya nads are in their vice and they can tighten it however they see fit!

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Country Vic gas prices are fun!!

Melbourne = 52 cpl

Kyneton (80 kms away) = 62 cpl

Bendigo (130 kms away) = 51 cpl

Go figure :?

Post subject: LPG
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

NSW has always had some of the worst rip off LPG prices in the country. If fuel was 10c dearer and has the 38c tax plus GST and more efficient it really shows what a rip off lpg is. Good news the contract price for December should bring LPG into to high 30s in the Melb metro areas this month. We are really only seeing November contract prices the in the last week of the month at around 49.9c. Greedy companies and useless ACCC = us ripped off :(

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

What is this about "Contract Price?"

Can someone explain? I've only just converted :-)

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:33 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Mitsubishi TE Magna

VIC, Australia

we found that at goulburn once when me and dad were going up to sydney..

lpg at goulburn was a right rip off. we only put a splash in to make it to marulan up the highway

iirc marulan was 60cpl goulburn was 87cpl
no effing way we ere going to fill up at that price.

was cheaper to buy petrol but dads wagons fuel pump had s**t itself so we were straight lpg only

this was last year though

whoops meant to type guolburn not yass

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

contract pricing:

In January 1991, the Federal Government deregulated the wholesale price of LPG in Australia. As part of this process, Australian LPG prices moved to reflect the fact that LPG is an internationally traded commodity, and thus influenced by international prices.

The major international price benchmark impacting LPG markets in the Far East (includes Australia) is the Saudi Aramco Contract Price ("Saudi CP" or just "CP") expressed in US dollars per metric tonne. This is because Saudi Arabia is the major supplier of LPG to term contract buyers in Asia. The Saudi CP is set and published on the first business day of the month .

The Bass Strait producers and other producers in South and Western Australia can export their LPG at such international prices (in US Dollars). Importers of LPG into Australia’s east coast have to pay international LPG prices, including freight, to land the propane. Australian LPG prices therefore reflect international price movements.

This is consistent with all commodities traded internationally. Agriculture and resource producers are similar to LPG producers in that they are price takers in international commodity markets and do not control the prices they can obtain for their product. Australia does not have an influence on price benchmarks as our production of LPG is small compared to other Far East producers. Similarly, Australian pricing of crude oil and refined products is linked to international prices.

Post subject: LPG
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Well explained creeture3. You can find the current contract prices at www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au for all fuels :)

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

hell you guys have it good, the servo 300mm from my house has LPG for 90.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock: :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unleeded is 99.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

our unleaded is still 117.9 :evil:

LPG 66.9-81.9 (depending on servo)

diesel 147.9 :shock:

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I saw 88.9cpl for E10 yesterday :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Post subject: Yes LPG at Gundagai is a rip off
Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

I avoid Gundagai at all cost and fill in Wagga before heading too Sydney. Also Fill on outskirts of Sydney on the way home too Wagga. I just make it home without visiting the dog on the Tuckerbox. Unfortunately us country folk are at the mercy of greedy corporations who charge what they like when no competition is around. Also our elected government representatives refuse to challenge them for fear of scaring the corps off shore and losing all those tax dollars. LPG in Wagga is 57.9cpl and Penrith was 42.9cpl last week. We know it doesn't cost this much to transport a litre of LPG 400 kms further down the road.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

i live in adelaide, when i speak to my dad on the phone (he lives in victoria) the price of autogas is usualy about 15-25cpl more then adelaide city prices. he lives near halls gap so its kind of rural but not really too rural.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

lpg in perth on friday, filled up before i left down south - 45.9cpl

into marg river, 300kms south of perth - 72cpl

that is a f**k rip! :shock:

R.I.P. Scotty

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next