Fordmods Logo

Show us your gas injection 

Page 4 of 11 [ 164 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Post subject: Re: Show us your gas injection
Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:21 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

The ambient temp in Townsville is sure as likely to cause a lot more problems than what they have in Europe. IE: tanks not filling because they are too hot and so on. do you Vac all your tanks down when you do a conversion, I know we are supposed to but I don't think any one in Melb does. Regards TPVM.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

We vac ours down to about 18-20inches, manifold vacuum, (connect the service outlet a vacuum port on the intake for a for a few mins) either that or you have spend over $1000 on a vac pump.
The tank in my own car was not, car was not converted by me. I sometimes have issues with filling, (only seems to be BP) Not that i ever use BP anymore. It cost to much and the car runs like crap with poor economy. I've found United has the cheapest and in the last few years i've never had an issue with the quality of the product.

It's not uncommon to see temps inside cars go over 70c, you can imagine what that does with tanks mounted in the boot of a sedans or wagons.

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:53 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The Panel Van Man wrote:
The ambient temp in Townsville is sure as likely to cause a lot more problems than what they have in Europe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it gets just as hot in Italy (where the ICOM JTG system was developed) as it does in many parts of Australia.

We have had minor issues filling the tanks of ALL our LPG cars in the past, but these issues were caused by less than satisfactory pumps at the servos rather than the temperatures of the tanks themselves. We simply took our cars to another servo and hey presto, problem solved.

I know that it isn't always possible to do this when you're in the bush, and remember that difficulty with filling also occurs with standard gas systems. This is why I always recommend aftermarket dual fuel solutions as opposed to single fuel factory solutions when it comes to LPG.

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:26 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

That was a general gas question not specific to liquid. Don't know the average mean temperature for Rome or Townsville but I think Townsville would be hotter. Regards TPVM.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:22 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The Panel Van Man wrote:
That was a general gas question not specific to liquid. Don't know the average mean temperature for Rome or Townsville but I think Townsville would be hotter. Regards TPVM.

Here you go, just for laughs... :)

http://www.wordtravels.com/Cities/Italy/Rome/Climate

It does get awfully hot in Rome in the Summer with temperatures over 40C not uncommon.

Not far off from Townsville actually...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsville,_Queensland#Climate

2005 VZ Commodore SV6 with OMVL Dream XXI SVI LPG
2004 BA Falcon XT with Orbital Liquid LPG Injection
2004 BA Falcon XR6 with icom JTG Liquid LPG Injection

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
JX Autogas on my EL wagon.

I wouldn't be leaving the service line that long without extra attachments or hang the lockoff like that off the regulator without a bracket also lock-offs should be mounted upright.

Have you had any issues with your system, is it this system Cheap Ebay LPG injection kit
Attachment:
ebay lpg injection.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well there you go. Just as well I didn't say anything rash. And yes the Lockoff does need a bracket and to be vertical, and the service line clipped up. Regards TPVM.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Macca wrote:
I wouldn't be leaving the service line that long without extra attachments or hang the lockoff like that off the regulator without a bracket also lock-offs should be mounted upright.
That's how the line was with the old Impco vapour converter, all I did was cut it a bit shorter, fitted a new brass fitting, and reflared it. See my comments below.
Macca wrote:
Have you had any issues with your system, is it this system Cheap Ebay LPG injection kit
That's the one - view the thread I've listed with the pics on the previous page. Surprisingly, it still runs very well - considerably better than the previous converter/mixer setup, no issues so far, but as I've said in that thread, time will tell.
In my testing, LPG consumption is around 1-2 L/100km worse than petrol, but the system is 2-3L/100km better than what I was ever getting with the traditional vapour system.
The Panel Van Man wrote:
Well there you go. Just as well I didn't say anything rash.
You're a qualified LPG installer ??? You don't back your own assessments til someone else says something ???
Your thread said show your system - this is it, I fitted it, and had a good friend certify it, he didn't pick these things up, that's why I need comments like these, so i can attend to them.
The Panel Van Man wrote:
And yes the Lockoff does need a bracket and to be vertical, and the service line clipped up. Regards TPVM.
As above, that's how it was - not that I was totally happy with it, I couldn't really come up with any decent bracketing, there's not really any options around the master cyl - suggestions ??? Reroute, run a flex line instead, etc ???
I put the lock off in that position for some reason that escapes me - I had to redrill and retap the converter to take the fittings - is the lock off filter positioning critical ???

BTW - points taken on board and appreciated.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Last edited by snap0964 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I have seen lock off's mounted on a bracket that fits on a bolt off the shocker, maybe that is a thought for you snap0964?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:11 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I had approached a few local installers to fit the kit, amidst laughter, and advice it couldn't be fitted to non SEFI cars (e.g. I6 E series falcon's) - funnily enough, my friend the installer has fixed a few of their LPG installations - wiring issues mainly, bad connections - scotchlocks even :shock:
He doesn't do full installs anymore as he isn't as mobile as he used to be.

Thanks for the suggestion - I can't remember if the lock off actually had any tang, etc to mount a bracket to - best option I have perhaps is the mounting bolt for the filter itself.

TBH at the time, I was more concerned with the coolant hose connections and supporting of them - they're a plastic fitting with O ring and held in with a Y bracket.
I have noticed later that the BRC converters run the same setup, so I guess they may not be that bad after all.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Last edited by snap0964 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Your welcome for the suggestion snap0964!

My lock off & regulator in the engine bay just use a slightly longer bolt thru the reg and that screws thru a metal plate that supports it & fits under a bolt of the shocker mount. It's not brilliant, i reckon i could make it better, but it's what the gas installer did.

Food for thought anyway.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nah's that's fine - it didn't dawn on me, til it was mentioned about the lockoff bracket, and now that I think of it, I have seen lockoff's mounted to the converter bracket.
Both my cars though(Impco model L converters), the converter lock off was not bracketed, and my ute has the lockoff filter sitting horizontal, as it won't clear the suspension tower sitting vertical.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
As above, that's how it was - not that I was totally happy with it, I couldn't really come up with any decent bracketing, there's not really any options around the master cyl - suggestions ??? Reroute, run a flex line instead, etc ???

BTW - points taken on board and appreciated.

The standard says service line must be clamped at intervals of not MORE then 600mm.
Personly I try to clamp at 300mm intervals.

Last edited by tickford_6 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, thanks for that - I spoke to Mick today (who supplied the kits), and 600mm is what he said as well.
The line does come along the passenger floor, and up the firewall, and along the firewall to the drivers side, last clip is at the firewall near the brake booster.
The line length to the lock off is just a bit over 300 mm, so I mightn't bother with any clipping.
There is a tang on the lockoff filter, so I can bracket it to the strut tower, and I should be able to rotate the lockoff to have the filter at 45 deg. That bracketing might be enough to give sufficient support.
Mick did say the lockoff filter orientation wasn't absolutely critical, but obviously it traps crap from the liquid phase, so the more gravity helps it, the better.

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The other option is a filter lockoff with bracket mounted to the tower and a short line to the reg. It does appear that your lockoff does not have a mounting point and as such would not pass Aust standards 1425. They are not allowed to hang on their fittings. As long as the line between the reg and lockoff is no longer than 500 all's well. Regards Alan TPVM.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 11  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next