Smell of LPG when Gas is put into my Lane 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Smell of LPG when Gas is put into my Lane
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have a 93 Nc Failrlane with an LPG tank thats 4 years old. The tank is mounted in the bood behind the rear seat. Its dual fuel. When I put any gas into the car for about 10 minutes after there is a strong smell of gas that fills the cabin but cannot be smelt outside the car. I dropped the back seat last time and the smell was strong from the tank. What could it be apart from maybe a loose connection?

Post subject: Re: Smell of LPG when Gas is put into my Lane
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XB wagon / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

you have a real problem there that's for sure....hope nobody smokes....urgent check by gas fitter....say no more......tom

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

There are a couple of points that might be leaking. It sounds like it's something that happens during filling.

If you remove the inspection cover off the LPG tank, if it's got a 4 hole tank, the first thing to check for a leak is the filler pipe. On a lot but not all conversion this will be a big black flexible pipe that runs from the filler neck to the tank, usually on the right hand side. It should have a flare type fitting, if the nut is tight enough it will seal. Shouldn't need yellow plumbers thread tape on it.

Check the nut is nice & tight.

If your leaking on the outlet side of the tank, it must be a minor leak if it doesn't allow the gas line to freeze, causing the car to stall (starved of fuel) when running on LPG.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Your right Torrie, its only after puting gas in her. Does not matter how much either. I reckon Im about 3 to 5 k from the station i get gas at and it stinks all the way home and is gone by the time I get home and put my stuff inside. I am also finding I'm using a bit of gas atm, so that might even be the reason why. I just thought it was a bad tune( still maybe). Im pretty crook with tonsilitas and conjunctivitis at the moment but will try to have a squizz this weekend. I will post if I need anymore help or if that is the problem. If that pipe is loose at the join I might even turn the tank off and run some plumbers tape on the join then retighten it. Thanks for the insight

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Np mate. Hope you get the gas leak sorted, it's not very safe having one dude. If you need to use thread tape, the yellow plumbers gas tape will do the job. I made an adapter so i can siphon LPG tanks with some fittings & yellow plumbers tape, no leaks.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

REMOVED THE COVER PLATE TODAY AND IT SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM AROUND THE OUTSIDE PLATE SCREWED INTO THE TANK ON THE INLET SIDE OF THE TANK ( KNOW ITS THE INLET BECAUSE THE OUTLET HAS A SOLENOID ATTACHED TO IT). I GUESS IT MUST HAVE A SEAL OF SOME SORT.THE SOROUND OF THE PLATE IS COVERED IN A GREASY MATTER. CAN THESE BE REPLACED BY MYSELF OR IS IT ONE OF THOSE JOBS YOU DEFINATELY NEED TO GET DONE BY A GAS MECHANIC? NOT HAPPY AS THE TANK IS ONLY 4 YEARS OLD!!!!!

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's a gas joint job mate. No idea on what it will cost, i would be asking if they will restamp the date on the tank once it's fixed.

I've had tanks that are many years old, and many years out of test that don't leak, weird to read about one only 4 years old leaking.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]