Fordmods Logo

strange prolem with new LPG system. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: strange prolem with new LPG system.
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

OK so had LPG system fitted to the AU2, has a 50l usable tank.

the first tank we did 325km on 50L of gas, close enough to 80km per 1/4 tank. we were kind of happy with that.
When we did the math to work out if it was worth installing we worked on %30 more gas then petrol and the 325km was about %31.

Now, the second tank of gas did 50km on the first 1/4 and 80km for each 1/4 after that, total ont he second tank was 290km from 50L
The third tank we are just over half way through and it's doing the same thing, 50km on first 1/4 an 80km after that.

i'm going try a few different things to try and improve the economy but it would be nice to get this problem sorted out first.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

system?

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

edit.

Last edited by tickford_6 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

How are you getting the fuel useage figures??
Are these off a gauge??
The reason I say is that I've never seen an accurate and linear LPG tank gauge. I've done my consumption figures in the past from bowser figures, from full to running the tank empty.
Are you getting exactly 50L in each time ?? - I would think that figure would vary slightly with ambient temp.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:34 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
How are you getting the fuel useage figures??
Are these off a gauge??
The reason I say is that I've never seen an accurate and linear LPG tank gauge. I've done my consumption figures in the past from bowser figures, from full to running the tank empty.
Are you getting exactly 50L in each time ?? - I would think that figure would vary slightly with ambient temp.

thats my thinking
he is using the guage in the car which is soooo not the way to do it

dude to get your fuel consumption

fill up with gas
note the kms on odo ( or reset trip meter to zero )
drive car for some time to use roughly 3/4 tank or more
fill up again
note kms and amount of gas that has gone in

work out your fuel econ with kms divided by litres
simple and accurate

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thing is though you're still using the gauge reading as the reference which may not be that accurate.
I've had on occasions my tank fill to about 61L, when the tank normally fills to 57L from empty. The gauge will register full both times, but I'd think the useage figure would be reasonably accurate as you're using absolute empty as the reference.
Obviously you don't have this luxury on a gas only vehicle.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

nar snap

i thinku miss read
u use the reading on the pump in litres of course

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Sorry dude - had a f@rt. :?
Yeah, best to go off bowser reading, and of course you don't need to run the tank absolutely dry.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

You have to remember that at some servo's the LPG pump may be a bit weaker than at another servo and not pump as much LPG into the tank,
also take into consideraton the ambiant temp outside,
I find on a colder day/night i get more LPG in my tank and also with a stronger LPG pump I get more LPG into the tank.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

usage was worked out using both the gauge and total KMs and actual amount of LPG used.

we did 325km to 51L on the first tank and 290km to 50L on the second tank and 295km to 51L on the third tank.

The second two tanks both showed 50km to the first 1/4, and total KM vs LPG used on the second two tanks show a drop of 30ish KM from the first one.

i used the same servo to fill up every time, they only have one LPG pump.

When we were using petrol, the car was very good at repeating consumption figures and we were within 5km every tank,

I've never had much to do with LPG befor, all the basics are good, air filters clean, plugs and leads are new, no intake or exhaust leaks and PETROL consumption was consistently between 11.8 and 12.1L/100MK

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

Have you taken the car back for the follow up tune yet?
As the diaphragms in the convertor relax after being used and knocks the tune out abit.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

It's been back for the follow up check and tune,

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
i used the same servo to fill up every time, they only have one LPG pump.When we were using petrol, the car was very good at repeating consumption figures and we were within 5km every tank.
Unfortunately filling up with a fuel that's stored under pressure that varies with temperature won't give you the same consistency as petrol. Other thing is I guess the same tanks that feed that bowser will heat up during the day, and they mightn't give you a consistent fill - there's been a thread recently about this.

tickford_6 wrote:
I've never had much to do with LPG befor, all the basics are good, air filters clean, plugs and leads are new, no intake or exhaust leaks and PETROL consumption was consistently between 11.8 and 12.1L/100MK
And that's about all you can normally do.
Well your gas consumption is around 17L/100km, so that's not too bad - if you get 280-300km for your 4th and 5th fills, that would be pretty consistent. Your petrol consumption is good, so changing the O2 sensor would be a waste of time.
I have had noticeable improvements using EL tickford LPG ECU's in my cars - 2-2.5L/100km better economy highway running, bit less around town - noticeable better pull going up hills.
This is using the LPG spark maps on Impco systems.
I suppose getting an AU2 LPG ECU would be difficult, and the cost too I guess.
IIRC MacGyver has a sticky on tuning OMVL systems, don't know if any of it is applicable to your system.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
i used the same servo to fill up every time, they only have one LPG pump.When we were using petrol, the car was very good at repeating consumption figures and we were within 5km every tank.
Unfortunately filling up with a fuel that's stored under pressure that varies with temperature won't give you the same consistency as petrol. Other thing is I guess the same tanks that feed that bowser will heat up during the day, and they mightn't give you a consistent fill - there's been a thread recently about this.

tickford_6 wrote:
And that's about all you can normally do.
Well your gas consumption is around 17L/100km, so that's not too bad - if you get 280-300km for your 4th and 5th fills, that would be pretty consistent. Your petrol consumption is good, so changing the O2 sensor would be a waste of time.
I have had noticeable improvements using EL tickford LPG ECU's in my cars - 2-2.5L/100km better economy highway running, bit less around town - noticeable better pull going up hills.
This is using the LPG spark maps on Impco systems.
I suppose getting an AU2 LPG ECU would be difficult, and the cost too I guess.
IIRC MacGyver has a sticky on tuning OMVL systems, don't know if any of it is applicable to your system.

i've looking into the LPG ecu, should be able to run both ECUs and have them switch with the lpg/petrol button. I have a contact through work that would enjoy the challenge of getting it to work. Also looking into the mega jolt and edis6 same theory, have it switch between the megajolt and factory ecu depending on feul.

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
i've looking into the LPG ecu, should be able to run both ECUs and have them switch with the lpg/petrol button. I have a contact through work that would enjoy the challenge of getting it to work. Also looking into the mega jolt and edis6 same theory, have it switch between the megajolt and factory ecu depending on feul.
Sounds complicated - my setups just needed one wire from the ECU to the fuel select switch, to switch fuel maps.
Were the dual fuel ECU's discontinued from AU onwards to Egas(LPG only)??
What are your intentions/main uses for the car ??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next