Fordmods Logo

Turbo on gas Your thoughts? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Turbo on gas Your thoughts?
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF S1 XR8

NSW, Australia

I have an XR8 Series 1 (AUTO) and am looking to turbocharge the car. for power to weight and emitions reasons would be converting it to straight gas.
I have a couple of questions.

How to people rig the TPS's so that the gearbox is getting the right info? if say using gas carby.
also will the Dizzy need remapping (i suspect this would be a big Yes)

Also what carby would people recoment as a blow through system? gra mention that they arnt realy made to run in this kind of setup.

also duel converters. are they needed or is there a single item that will feed my need?

any other wireing that will need to be modifed to work will also be appreciated.
I will be doing most of the work myself and getting it inspected buy a friend of a friend.
The setup will also be engineered.

Thanks for you help.

Post subject: Re: Turbo on gas Your thoughts?
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There are quite a few Turbo LPG setups out there.

See here: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/ef-falcon-gli-got-mods-t75323.html .. that's a GRA setup

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

bbgcomputers wrote:
I have an XR8 Series 1 (AUTO) and am looking to turbocharge the car. for power to weight and emitions reasons would be converting it to straight gas.
I have a couple of questions.

How to people rig the TPS's so that the gearbox is getting the right info? if say using gas carby.
also will the Dizzy need remapping (i suspect this would be a big Yes)

Also what carby would people recoment as a blow through system? gra mention that they arnt realy made to run in this kind of setup.

also duel converters. are they needed or is there a single item that will feed my need?

any other wireing that will need to be modifed to work will also be appreciated.
I will be doing most of the work myself and getting it inspected buy a friend of a friend.
The setup will also be engineered.

Thanks for you help.

GRA carbs have provisions for TPS.
If you're running an EF Dizzy you won't be remapping it, you can get a J3 chip to alter ignition timing, or maybe go for an old school windsor dizzy (i don't know if they're a straight fitment)

I'd recommend an GRA S440, they work perfectly fine when set up for Blow Through, GRA don't 'recommend' it simply because they're covering their a*** :P

I'd suggest running 2 B2 converters setup for GRA throttle.
Its a tried and tested combo thats good for 300+rwkw.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF S1 XR8

NSW, Australia

Thanks for your info so far. what about tank size? i was thinking in the vacinity of 120L

thanks for the J3 tip i will look into this. dos anyone have a base tune for something like the gra and 2x b2 converters?

keep all the hints comming.

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tank size is upto you, and what range you want.
i'm still running a 67litre usable tank.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Turbo LPG - hell yeah! I'm building a turbo lpg setup in my torana atm. GRA in draw thru with a T04. It's old school but should work well enough to have some fun & be much cheaper to run than the 45 DCOE webber was!

As stated, there are plenty of people out there with Blow thru GRA setup's that work fine. There is a couple of things that need to be done if you use it in this config, just download the document from their website (if it's still there) and it will tell you how to plumb the balance pipe to make sure you keep lpg up to the engine when on boost.

If i wasn't such a fan of lpg injection, i'd already have a GRA setup on my g/f's tx5 turbo. But i'd rather a nice injected setup, and i'm waiting on the liquid injection - to see what a few people say about them, and maybe get that & wind up the boost some more. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Turbo LPG - hell yeah! I'm building a turbo lpg setup in my torana atm. GRA in draw thru with a T04. It's old school but should work well enough to have some fun & be much cheaper to run than the 45 DCOE webber was!

As stated, there are plenty of people out there with Blow thru GRA setup's that work fine. There is a couple of things that need to be done if you use it in this config, just download the document from their website (if it's still there) and it will tell you how to plumb the balance pipe to make sure you keep lpg up to the engine when on boost.

If i wasn't such a fan of lpg injection, i'd already have a GRA setup on my g/f's tx5 turbo. But i'd rather a nice injected setup, and i'm waiting on the liquid injection - to see what a few people say about them, and maybe get that & wind up the boost some more. :twisted:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Theres a BA XR6T with liquid injection on street fords forums. 350rwkw.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:

Theres a BA XR6T with liquid injection on street fords forums. 350rwkw.

Cool. I'll have to go & check it out.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

yeah gas injection would be nice but at $4000+ it kinda defeats the original purpose of the conversion...ie cheap....$4000 could be better spent if your just after performance

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
yeah gas injection would be nice but at $4000+ it kinda defeats the original purpose of the conversion...ie cheap....$4000 could be better spent if your just after performance

That's how some people feel about the cost of injection over a traditional mixer setup. BUT there are other things to also consider. EG, you use less gas with an injection setup, which helps compound your savings over time. Then the government rebate means your not out of pocket $4000, meaning the payback time of your conversion is halved. If do do the mileage i do every year, in the range of 40-60,000, LPG makes big sense! Especially the extra outlay for the injection to use less fuel every 100kms i travel.

Then there is lower emissions, which is a great thing. In a correctly setup performance engine, lpg has properties that should see the engine last longer than the same engine running petrol. I personally have run LPG for more than 100,000 kms on my rebuilt engine in my Torana, and when i stripped it down, my mechanic mate thought i was bull$hitting him that i'd done that many kms on the engine, he couldn't see the normal wear you expect from a petrol engine! I've done more than 150,000 kms on my EB's engine before i pulled it down, it had done 202,000 on petrol before the conversion, and it was still serviceable after all that time! I wanted to rebuild it but got a low km engine to swap in instead, due to time constraints.

Price is a good reason to change to LPG, but don't skimp too much on the conversion outlay! We all have seen or heard of poor installs & crappy hardware doing mega bucks worth of damage! Also worth a mention, i believe there are some car's you just can't fit anything other than LPG Injection to, for emissions reasons / law compliance.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

what are the leading brands in gas injection?

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
what are the leading brands in gas injection?

Good question - there a few systems getting around these days, and really depends on what your fitter likes to play with. I have an Easyjet system, which is fit to a lot of taxi's, but i wouldn't suggest it for a performance car, it's too limited in power.(200 flywheel KW iirc) At the time, back in early 2004, it was all that was around. Boemo engineering use the Easyjet gear still, fitting it to many taxi's, but parnell have moved onto the Prins system, which has been fit to XR6 turbo's.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Guys dont get confussed between VSI aka vapour gas injection and liquid injection

Easyjet is a VSI system and costs about $1000-1500 more than liquid injection

The only liquid injection system available is the LPG warehouse Icom JTG liquid injection kit which costs $5000 depending on which state u in and workshop u deal with

OMEGAS VSI is the best setup for boosted cars

http://www.apollogas.com.au/Omegas_Installers_NSW.html

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Guys dont get confussed between VSI aka vapour gas injection and liquid injection

Easyjet is a VSI system and costs about $1000-1500 more than liquid injection

The only liquid injection system available is the LPG warehouse Icom JTG liquid injection kit which costs $5000 depending on which state u in and workshop u deal with

OMEGAS VSI is the best setup for boosted cars

http://www.apollogas.com.au/Omegas_Installers_NSW.html

You do mean that EasyJet costs less, don't you dude?

I don't think anyone in this thread confused about liquid or vapor injection, we have been talking about vapor injection except for my line saying i'm waiting on the liquid gear for my g/f's car. It's currently too new & too expensive for a car only worth $5k lol.

I've just had a read thru the specs on the regulator & injectors of your mentioned vapor injection system - only 40kw per injector? The prins injectors are also supposed to be capable of a fair bit more than 40kw per injector.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You can select different injectors for the OMEGAS lpg kit to suit your application

I think this bunch also use easyjet lpg and also do performance lpg

http://www.apsservicecentre.com.au/default.aspx

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next