Fordmods Logo

FS [NSW]: 68mm Throttle Body with modified shaft 

Page 5 of 17 [ 245 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

Post subject: Re: FS [NSW]: 68mm Throttle Body with modified shaft
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Quote:
ill give someone in the top 8 5 bucks to swap positions with me hahaha

haha dont worry mate everyone will get one, i already have a ninth, and am waiting on more...

Quote:
.looks really good mate how did you cut the butterflys out,did you spin them on the lathe and bore them out.looks really good mate :D

the butterflies have been CNC machined, they are actually an elipse, it is an exact scaled up copy of a standard butterfly it sits exactly as the standard one does...

i might also add, although most would have realised this, but you may have to adjust your idle speed screw to allow for the difference in air entering as the circumfrence is bigger..

i should be picking up the TBs on tuesday, ill post up picks then email the lucky first eight with details

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

Hey mate if you have any spare to sell or need any more t/b let me know I have 2 EA/EB ones and 1 EF one sitting in the shed.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok, we have good news and bad news!

good news: throttle bodies have been bored out and i have picked them up already.

bad news: 4 out of the 8 throttle bodies are damaged. i have come to the conclusion that 68mm is pushing the boundary too far, as the machinist broke throught the wall section on four of them, i saw the jig he used to set them up and they are exactly concentric and no fault of the machinist... there must be inconsistancies in the castings due to worpage or something which affected half of them.

my only option at this stage is to reduce the diametre of the bore to 67, or 67.5, as i cant afford to have 50% of the throttle bodies i get machined being scraped...

this means i need to get new butterflies cut to suit the new diameter.

the breakthrough happened in the same spot on all four, there is a round indentation around the boss where the shaft goes, which reduces the wall section in that area (on the spring side)

with the 4 throttle bodies that have been damaged during machining, i have 2 options.
1. i scrap them
2. i try to repair them, either weld or steel putty (this is on the spring side and will not be visible as its covered by the black plastic washer)and if your not happy with them you can return them and ill refund the money no problems

in my opinion, a 67mm bore will be the best possible solution, with new butterflies...
i have 3 ef/el and 1 au throttle body already assembled which i will give to the 1st 4 on the list, i will pm them shortly with details.

the remaining 4 people who would have had one from this lot, please let me know if you want to wait for a 67mm TB or if you would like a repaired one, if its dodgey im not going to sent it..

please let me know what your feelings are... and i will proceed with what you all think is best. i will not proceed with 67mm bore untill you guys tell me that you are happy or not to go this way...

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ooo thats a bit annoying, cant be much done about that. Its Fords dodgy inconsistancy in making the throttle bodies. With the 4 68mm throttle bodies you have, are they ok to use? like there not going to be too weak at the walls? Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

and here is a photo of one of the complete units

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 82.73 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah id put it down to ford machining the bore off center, and becasue the bore has been used as the datum the new hole is also offset causing the breakthrough...

the 4 throttle bodies are fine, as i said its only one small point where there is a thin wall, but even so you would have to hammer a screw driver through it...

i wont be sending out anything that is dodgey

so yeah, no problems with the 4 that im sending out, i need to know if people are still happy to proceed with a 67mm bore
- the difference is 31.4cm2 (at 67mm) compared to 32.6cm2(at 68mm) standard is 26.1 cm2, an increase of 20% over standard

i await your feedback

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

mate i will be happy with a 67mm throttle body, still a 20% improvement which still sounds great to me. if its going to make the whole process a heap easier i am willing to shave off 1mm! surely couldnt have that much effect, 1-2kw??

Do you think a 67mm throttle body would be noticable in comparison to the 68mm throttle body you had? I know its hard since you havent had a 67mm but just in your opinion maybe referring to the difference between stock and a 68.

El xr6
14.268 @ 96.77mph--- motorplex 4/3/08

549 crow cam
chiptorque chip
pacemakers
hiflo cat
cai w/ k&n panel filter
3.89:1 diff gears

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

idd be happy with the 67 if it is going to be stonger etc.

As im on the list for one that has been damaged, will the repairs be stable under use, as im not quite sure where the break is, just worried about having it crack or break in the future, if this is a slight possibility i'dd prefur to go to the 67mm.

Just a question, the ebay one that were up claimed to be 69mm from memory, how did they manage to bore to that depth?

Cheers.
Rushed

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Ebay throttle body, getting one of these soon, then comes a crow billet cam.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Last edited by EL__Fairmont on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

rushed wrote:
idd be happy with the 67 if it is going to be stonger etc.

As im on the list for one that has been damaged, will the repairs be stable under use, as im not quite sure where the break is, just worried about having it crack or break in the future, if this is a slight possibility i'dd prefur to go to the 67mm.

Just a question, the ebay one that were up claimed to be 69mm from memory, how did they manage to bore to that depth?

Cheers.
Rushed

You will probly find the ebay one is probly 69mm at the opening and gets more narrow as it goes in. If 68mm is hittings the walls an some are being damaged, there is no way you can completey bored it out 69mm

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

I am interested in these still but is there anyway we can tell which T/B flow better the Ebay ones or these? As said before ebay ones might not be bored right through which you would think it wouldn't be as good. Would be great if someone could test both of the T/B.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Hmmm.

Is it not possible to bore slightly off-centre in order to avoid this weak area?

Having said that, it's only air intake; it's not like there's 200 tons of pressure on it.

Hope a good solution can be found - and quick!

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Well, I'm still keen as mustard on my one (being first on the list has its privileges, you have to understand. FASTXR - I have bought some of this stuff http://ultrabond.8m.com/ from a local Aussie character and it would fix your problems if you have access to a decent flame source. Thanks again to Ricks EF Fairmont Wagon for this tip.

Get some of this (about $20AUD for a dozen sticks or so) and heat the thin area up until this stuff melts into it, a little like old school oxy-acetylene welding. You can weld up alloy beer cans with it if you're half onto it.

- - -

As for people posting pictures of another product and saying loudly that they're going to buy from Ebay, they're entitled to do that... I'd prefer to support the guy who developed his idea for the world to see on FordMods... With feedback and criticism from other FordMod members.

This site has been of great help to me over the last year or so since I bought my first spanner (not with standing the fact it now looks like every other boring a*** site - I'm doing my best to provide some graphic relief...)

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

from what i know now, 69mm is an impossability, even if you were lucky enough to sneak it through there would be no wall section left and would probably break it half at the neck where the intake pipe sits on.

yes it is possible to machine it offset, but i never knew they had been machined offset to start with... if i offset the machining i run the risk off ruining the bearings, 68mm cuts into both bearings, any more and they would be disturbed too much.

im going to make the decision to go ahead with 67mm, ill even try to get a new dyno run organised to show the gains. it seams most people are happy to go this way.

with the ruined ones, after closer inspection im only happy to have a go at repairing 2 of them, they have a hairline crack only, the other 2 have small holes which id prefer not to even touch, im going to get them silver soldered(54%), they will be solid and no risk of any problems... so i can say that i have 6 throttle bodies at 68...

sorry about this, we live and we learn!

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

1. fiend (ef/el)
2. GeZza200 (ef/el)
3. Doofus (ef/el)

4. Rushed (ef)
5. LG (au3)
6.TurboFreak(EA)
7. InspectorRectum(EF)
8. metasaiah (EF)
9. Shortshift (EF)
10. twindongs (EL)
11 StrawbZ (AU3)
12. weeman (ef/el)

i will contact the people in bold shortly to organise payment, the underlined people please wait as i confirm the repairs, ill have them soldered tomorrow and ill let you know how they turn out (im 99% confident)
sorry to turbo ea, you have been skiped because the only ea TB i had is now beyond repair... but im on it, everyone should have one in the next group of 67mm

thanks

07 BF MKII XR6T

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 17  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next