Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: LR-69 4wd Systems Lokka
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Tickmont Turbo

SA, Australia

Selling My LR-69 Lokka
It hasnt been used since December 08 due to my Car being written off, had only been used for around 2000k's
It was the best performance buy i have done, much better than an LSD and more Durable
had the intention of putting it into my Turbo EF but i am going to get out of the E series and upgrade to the B series
it has been Pulled down and new bearings on the housing replaced with Timken bearings, all worn parts been replaced and all back together ready to have the crown gear installed and fitted to an e-series diff

Price - $350
Location - Adelaide
Postage avaliable but it would require dissasemblement and carrier would be left behind, also postage at buyers expence

Link To Their Website
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29

Attachments:
File comment: Lokka
lokka.jpg
lokka.jpg [ 80.41 KiB | Viewed 88 times ]

Current Ride - Phantom BA XR6 Turbo
EF II Fairmont Tickford Optioned, J3 Chip, Converted To 5 Speed
R.I.P. Nelly .... My NL V8 Fairlane..... Totaled by a kombivan

Post subject: Re: FS [SA]: LR-69 4wd Systems Lokka
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Excuse me but still fairly new to all the different diff types...

The advantages of this over an LSD would be what?

And also do the backlash and pre-load and those other fancy names need to be re set by a diff place, as in does this move the crown wheel or change anything to require a resetting of these measurements...

Are lockers the diff type that give a loud bang when they lock up or unlock or something like that I was reading somewhere once?

Thanks,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

you may need to check the position of the crown to the pinion, checking its heel and toe but if you keep the two side shims in the correct spots the position should be fairly ok, it is in an open wheeler carrier as its what its designed to be in

the lokka does make a clicking noise while turning, i actually like the noise, i got the lokka when they were first made and changed the springs a few times to the new and advanced springs
it has the latest springs in it now, making it open up alot easier when turning and quieter,

the advantages i see over lsd is its durability to continue to perform under any circumstances, garanteed to lock up over 15% of torque giving constant drive / power to the ground
ask around i am positive that anyone with a Lokka will have nothing but praise for them

only reason i am selling it is i dont have a use for it, soon to be selling the EF and getting a B series

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Tezza393 wrote:
you may need to check the position of the crown to the pinion, checking its heel and toe but if you keep the two side shims in the correct spots the position should be fairly ok, it is in an open wheeler carrier as its what its designed to be in

the lokka does make a clicking noise while turning, i actually like the noise, i got the lokka when they were first made and changed the springs a few times to the new and advanced springs
it has the latest springs in it now, making it open up alot easier when turning and quieter,

the advantages i see over lsd is its durability to continue to perform under any circumstances, garanteed to lock up over 15% of torque giving constant drive / power to the ground
ask around i am positive that anyone with a Lokka will have nothing but praise for them

only reason i am selling it is i dont have a use for it, soon to be selling the EF and getting a B series

You are not wrong there Tezza, they also don't wear out. My Lokka came into it forte yesterday, skidpan days show the best of Lokka's

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

So more traction than a LSD? So to get the in you actually have to take the planetary system out? and this replaces all the gears inside the hemisphere? Judging by the photos off the website?

They are guaranteed to last forever or they still wear out? Just take longer than LSD's?

If I were to purchase would be able to get some pics or something of what I've got to take note on and check when its back together? As all this diff terminology really doesn't mean anything to me?

It'd be going in a 3.27 ED Open Centre Diff... I imagine the internals for these models would be same? Both 28 spline, etc, etc?

Also what are they worth new? And what do you reckon postage to NSW 2705 would be worth?

Lockers are Lockers are they? I did read something about "Detroit Lockers" there once...

Thanks,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

From what i understand of an LSD they have cone clutches inside and run on friction, where this is a lokka and it locks up by rolling itself up on the cross shafts being unable to unlock till deceleration
if you park with one wheel on dirt and one on ashfault, on flat throttle it would rely on the ashfult to push forward, the wheel on the dirt is unable to speed up any faster or slower as its locked up 1 to 1 pushing you forward and not spinning the wheels . unless you have oodles of power
it is a Detroit type locker,

and it does replace the spider gears inside the open wheeler, i still have the instructions, and if you ever need anything you can just email 4wd systems and they will do replacement parts for free
if you use your own center, when you pull it out, their are two shims, one either side, dont mix them up, they adjust the heal and toe, and because you dont pull the pinion out you wont need to do much checking, and the bolts in the crown are LH thread, make sure you do it back to tension and you should be fine

for piece of mind, i get asked alot, does it unlock when driving, yes it does, when cruising you can turn, ie highway, it does unlock stopping the wheels skipping, and most of the time you take your foot off the accelerator to turn so its pretty tame for the roads

worth new is nearly $600, and for something that doesnt wear out its a bargin i would have to say,
i am sad to see it go but i cant use it
they are made from billit
parts that do wear out are the thrust washers which would require replacing everytime you do bearings really, which most people do every 150,000 some times double that

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I might have some interest... Let me know what you think for freight?

I asked my old man as he is a ford mechanic and he said the only Detroit Locker he has ever heard of is ones to go in a Ford 9" so he isn't real sure on how they work and their suitability either... So he is gonna make a couple of calls tomorrow and get some other opinions and I'll let you know how I go... I can't an LSD out here in the country... But reading the sales spiel on that website it sounds great... In the mean time if anyone else has one and has pros and cons for them I'd be happy to hear them...

Thanks for your prompt help so far...

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

its not a detroit locker
but its more the same design, the LR-69 is designed and made for the ford 8inch diff
but if anyone else has views on it feel free to post,
this is perfect for both off road and on road applications,
and the write up on the website is true, if your dad wants to call 4wd direct i am sure they will be more than happy to discus their items

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Sounds good... thanks for your info Tezza... Like I said I'm very keen... Sounds better than a LSD... Just trying to get an understanding of them and their operation and that... So yeah...

Being Billet it wouldn't be overly heavy for post?

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
I might have some interest... Let me know what you think for freight?

I asked my old man as he is a ford mechanic and he said the only Detroit Locker he has ever heard of is ones to go in a Ford 9" so he isn't real sure on how they work and their suitability either... So he is gonna make a couple of calls tomorrow and get some other opinions and I'll let you know how I go... I can't an LSD out here in the country... But reading the sales spiel on that website it sounds great... In the mean time if anyone else has one and has pros and cons for them I'd be happy to hear them...

Thanks for your prompt help so far...

I have one.
Pro's: better traction, doesn't allow one wheel to spin, legal, doesn't wear out
Con's: Clicks when cornering slowly.

My car is a daily so it gets used, I love it, and if it gets setup right, you barely notice it is there. IMHO best value for money centre out there

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

To support what Tezza is saying, I too had a Lokka in my EL Fairmont. It was very streetable, when you accelerate you have 100% locked rear axles. No loss of traction due to one wheel letting go.
They do not wear out, there are no clutches etc in them.
The operate much smoother than a detriot locker.
They will click around corners when you are coasting, I too liked it. You get weird looks from pedestrians who don't know what it is ;)
If you are powering through a corner it will be locked but that is not an issue. V8 Supercars run locked rear ends and as you can see, they go around corners.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Supercars are fully locked and I think that the only way to get them to corner is to be doing it while accelerating isn't it? Otherwise they don't like turning... Well these certainly sound good... Can't believe I've never heard of these before for the 8"... They seem rather common...

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

My point was that if you are powering through a corner, it will turn perfectly fine. If you're coasting, its unlocked so its not an issue.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have one in the front diff of my Maverick and they are great.
I love mine so much that I have a rear one sitting here waiting to go into one of my road cars.
Just need to work out which one to put it in.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Just ask another question...

Can this be installed with the diff in the car? I.e just remove the hat off the back of the diff and access everything you need through there?

The photos off the website show the 2 spline diff being done through a hole in the side of the hemisphere housing, will it work this way in a Ford diff or it does have to be dismantled to get the bits in?

Thanks,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next