Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: LF better than Pedders TASCCO controled suspension package
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BAII Futura

VIC, Australia

Hi,
I'm building up an ED Falcon as a dedicated track car for fun days and sprints, maybe hillclimbs.
I have been looking at the Pedders suspension package used on saloon cars ( ~$1700 for parts).

Would any one know what better/cheaper set up I could look for?
As I said, the car won't be on the road so I'd like it as low and stiff to handle like a go-kart.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Post subject: Re: LF better than Pedders TASCCO controled suspension package
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Koni/Bilstein, Big swaybars + Customs springs. The only way for handling and stiffness.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon Street Stock

TAS, Australia

Plz explain the difference between Pedders and Tascco.

Before you lash out at the Bank Account get your car on a set of Scales. Corner weigh the car.

It's so very very important.

You need to have the corner weights in the ball park then modify from there. Get assistance if your not sure what to do or where to get Scales.

Disconnect the Sway Bars and Shocks. If you don't you will get weird readings.

Have the Driver aboard for all weighing.

Low and stiff has for's and against's if you get my 'drift'.

Now you need to think about tyres. What tyres are you going to use and what sort of life do you want. Experience is the best guide here whether it be yours or the local Dunlop Bridgy Federal Michchelin Dealer. If the tyre shop doesn't know go elsewhere. Federals are cheapest semi and a step above any road tyre and they work in Hill Climbs where you can't usually get a lot of heat in the tyre.

Basically the stiffer the suspension the shorter the usable tyre life over race distance.

For Qualifying stiffen the suspension a little or leave it the way you have for race distance and just drive it in a little deeper and get on the gas a little sooner.

As you lower the front from std the Roll Centre rises. Way low is not the way to go for EL's.

Lowering the rear suspension means the rear Roll Centre goes up too and the net result is a 'loose' rear as in tail coming around sooner than it should.

I've found the rear of EL's like to be around the height of 'Low' Springs.

The EL secret is with Shocks. I'm playing with a Customer EL and I have Internally Adjustable Koni's set for maximum stiff for a tacky track. If it rains I soften the Shocks up. Externally adjustable shocks are easier to live with.

Springs - I like Kings as they are affordable and are a Linear Rate Spring. You can play later with variable rate Springs but I recommend you start with Linear stuff. Give the Pedder's stuff a miss. They do have great road gear. Head straight for the hi-performance Shocks with some adjustability so you can tune.

Another thing, don't go cutting Springs. The Rate goes to hell and EL's slide too much with crazy rates.

One last thing if your not sure about anything just look at the XR model as a good starting base. Ford did a pretty decent job at the Wheel Alignment(!) and Suspension.

And the faster :D you go the smoother you must be!

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I had Pedders AU saloon shocks fitted with Eibach 'pro' springs in the front of me EL for a couple of weeks while I was modifying my shocks.
They were noticeably stiffer on bump, but geez they made the car feel stable over big bumps.

You could probably get a better setup when you have experience, but the Pedders saloon car stuff is definitely capable of getting these cars around a track quickly.

@Trikes
The Pedders gear is the control suspension for the Saloon car series. (TASCCO)
It is their gas sports ryder shocks with valving changes to suit race conditions.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon Street Stock

TAS, Australia

Righto MAD gotcha.

Ok so you have to use Pedders hmmm.

Do they offer a couple of differing shocks or do you only get a shot at one type?

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have Pedders GSR shocks with heat sinks, genuine EL XR6 springs, SuperPro bushes all round, 30mm and 27mm sway bars, 3.27 LSD.
You will need to strengthen the rear sway bar mounts on the frame rails....they will break.
I made the front sway bar end mountings, and sideways travel limityers as well.
I had B'stone Eager SF340's in 235/60R15 (not available anymore) and it handled like a go cart.
Since having tried some other tyres, it doesn't handle as well.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

CJH if you're up for new tyres any time soon give the bridgestone potenzas in 225-60-15 a go.

I found them to be awesome and heaps better then some s**t 17s I have on the EB at the moment.

I don't know what you spend on rubber however as they are a bit pricey for 15s but I think I paid around $160 a tyre a year or two ago now..

I've always wanted to try 235-60-15s, shame they don't do them anymore :(

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Lukeee wrote:
CJH if you're up for new tyres any time soon give the bridgestone potenzas in 225-60-15 a go.

I found them to be awesome and heaps better then some s**t 17s I have on the EB at the moment.

I don't know what you spend on rubber however as they are a bit pricey for 15s but I think I paid around $160 a tyre a year or two ago now..

I've always wanted to try 235-60-15s, shame they don't do them anymore :(

Yeah.....I currently have Hercules H/P 4000's in RWL in 235/60R15.....only on the front, still have Eagers on the rear.
The Herc's look narrower than the Eagers.....more rounded shoulders than the Eagers.
The sidewall is deffinately softer, as the ride isn't as harsh as it was with the Eagers.
The tyres have the same rating/ply rating as the Eagers.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]