Fordmods Logo

06 typhoon missing/surging 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 06 typhoon missing/surging
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef xr6, bf typhoon, mk2 cortina

SA, Australia

hi all. as the subject surgests i'm having a prob with my typhoon. just after i got it at the start of the year a few time when i put the boot in to it i noticed it missing about 5k in first gear. the few times it did it it had about 1/4 of a tank, so just put it down to fuel pulling away from the pickup. i've kept it above 1/4 of a tank since then and haven't had a prob until the other night.
was leave a mates place thursday night and gave it some s@#t (as u do leaving a holden lovers house lol). just befor it changed from 1 to 2(auto box) it missed big time. had full tank at the time. about 10 to 15 pops in about a second like a cylinder dropped out. guessing a coils on its way out.

now my question is has anyone else had this prob or got any other ideas what it could be?
do a major service in the next few day's ie;fuel/oil/trans/turbo filter, engine/trans/diff oil, coils & plugs, brake pads and coolent because we are heading to vic for the last few days of the hoildays to see the inlaws. cars done 120k i've had it since 109k. always been looked after and serviced on time and has a easy life (wife drives it most the time). any help would be much appreciated becasue what it sorted befor we go away.

cheers
by the way car its stock

95 ef xr6 project, 69 mk2 2 door cortina project, 06 bf typhoon, 89 vn ss, 95 vs s pack. time for a new house cos i need more room lol.

Post subject: Re: 06 typhoon missing/surging
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Could be fuel filter if its never been changed.

But the typical answer is coilpacks. They are known to fail as they age. If you get replacements, just make sure they are Ford genuine. The aftermarket are known to die quickly in turbos.

Also check the plugs and gaps. FPV recommend plus swaps every 30,000, so maybe they havent been done towards the end if its warranty period.

I also have occasional surge issues with mine when the plugs come loose. Usually a combination of cylinders 3 to 5. Its a pain in the a** at times.

And just thinking, you sure you didnt hit rev limiter when you left your mates place. Very easy in first gear.

Prepare yourself for the price of the auto service too. And its really something that should be done professionally.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

thats mate. aready got all the stuff, knew it was going to be pricey so been pickin bits and pieces up for a few weeks now. and nar wasn't the rev lim, when it happened it lost all power. was definitely dropping cylinders. cheers for the tip on the plugs i'll check to see if they have come lose

95 ef xr6 project, 69 mk2 2 door cortina project, 06 bf typhoon, 89 vn ss, 95 vs s pack. time for a new house cos i need more room lol.

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Cool. Just make sure you read up on servicing the ZF. Doing the wrong thing can kill the box, specially when your pulling the pan off.

And wasn't traction control? If your spinning wheels it will get to the point it will just shut the throttle and everything will go dead.

Its a f**k of a thing if you've forgot to turn the thing off and you're trying to impress someone.. :lol:

I've had it cut throttle mid corner cos it's occasionally retarded. :evil:

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

cheers mate got a book i'll be right on that side of things. t/c was off. lol its part of my start up routine, no point having it if i leave the t/c on. kill the power to much when ur taking those small gaps. plus best mate owns a tyre shop so treads no prob :D .

Post subject: Re: 06 typhoon missing/surging UPDATE!!!!!
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

just a update on the typhoon. got in it this morning and didn't sound rite. clicked it into drive to see what would happen under under load. it running like a pig. losing revs and coughing/splattering to the point of almost stalling. just waiting for some one to open(every thing is closed in sa at the mo due to hoildays) so i can grab some oil and a filter. hoping there's no other issues with it. see how it go's after plugs, coils and fuel filter are changed. going to do it in stages to isolate the prob for piece of mind( plus may help someone else if they run into a simaler prob). i keep every one posted

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]