Fordmods Logo

180* bend - how much will this hurt? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 180* bend - how much will this hurt?
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'm trying to figure the route for the intercooler piping from the blower to the cooler and then throttle body.
The output of the blower faces up towards the firewall, so i've got two options:
1. Go the long way round, so up towards firewall, over the rocker cover (similar path to the factory NA piping), then over exhaust manifold towards front of car and to cooler. Which also causes headaches for the pipe returning from the cooler as it means less engine bay realestate.
The alternative is no 2. Were I can put a tight 180* bent in the pipe straigh out of the blower, the pipe can then go straight down to the cooler and leaves me heaps of room to do the other side - pipe from cooler to throttle body. Advantages of this are much less pipe used and a lot less pipe anywhere near the hot exhaust. At the end of the day even the first set up double back and turns 180*, just a much longer turn.

So how much will a tight 180* bend hurt the flow?

I guess either way there's not much I can do about it unless I scrape intercooling and stick with the water injection (which I'm not overly keen on).

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ive read tests somewhere it is better to have metres of straight or minimal bends of piping rather than shorter piping with tighter bends.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Ive read tests somewhere it is better to have metres of straight or minimal bends of piping rather than shorter piping with tighter bends.

I've read that about exhausts. BUt I'm not sure if it applies to force induction, as the longer the pipe, the more air in there, and the more air for the unit to compress.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

doesn't um.. forget his name now. owns the NWOLB EA.. rmyers i think? from memory he routed his with a sharp 180 bend. maybe pm him.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

that's an idea. might see if i can dig up some pictures of his engine bay.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

I've read that about exhausts. BUt I'm not sure if it applies to force induction, as the longer the pipe, the more air in there, and the more air for the unit to compress.

That is a fact.

The larger the chamber, The longer it will take to pressurize it, It will have some sort of delay, "lag" if you like.

A short radius 180 degree bend will be fine as long as its a smooth contour and has no kinks in it. A lobsterback would be ok as well as long as you have enough segments to make it smooth.

What size piping will you be using??

If you are increasing the length of the piping for the intercooler, you may want to reduce the ID of the pipe, so it evens out the extra length by having less volume, therefore having Boost come on roughly the same time regardless of the length.

If you are using 2 1/2" ID before hand maybe stepping down to 2" may compensate a bit in my opinion.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

180 will do fine if its big enough.. Its forced induction [Pressurised] which is different to N/A....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

schnoods wrote:
If you are using 2 1/2" ID before hand maybe stepping down to 2" may compensate a bit in my opinion.

Planning to use 2 1/2" piping.

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:53 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

2.5 mandrel bend wont have any noticable effect under boost psi stands for pounds per square inch pushing outward on all surfaces of the container holding the pressure ,the inside flow will have to slow around the bend and bunch up , the outside flow has to increase in speed cause a lower pressure wich cancels the high pressure flow on the inside surface. total into the bend equals total out

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It'll work fine.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I'd only be worried about it if you are chasing every single last poofteenth of a killoWatt in an all out race motor or a dyno queen. Like others have said, the difference is absolute minimal.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
I'd only be worried about it if you are chasing every single last poofteenth of a killoWatt in an all out race motor or a dyno queen. Like others have said, the difference is absolute minimal.

Nah, i just want torque to rip skids. Dyno and quatermile doesn't excit me.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Even a long piping tract isn't the end of the world, plenty of BA turbos make big power with the factory piping. That said there are benefits to a shorter route in terms of lag.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:59 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

ceck out one of the autospeed articles of jim mocks 600 el it uses the factory rubber bend with no lose

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Post up a picture of your engine bay looking down. I'll try an visualise the piping on the photo then use ms paint to draw the easies option.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next