Fordmods Logo

2 t28's be alright on V8? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 2 t28's be alright on V8?
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

ok, my aim here is to get about 270-300RWKW for street with a twin turbo conversion and then when im off street i will also use my NOS to boost it up to 370-400RWKW but i also don't want to spend to to much(eg. 20 grand), im going to have to go forged internals if i stay 5.0 litree or not im not sure yet of the price difference, but i wouldn't mind going 347 if it's not a heap more, then worked GT40p heads, and i may also import a gt40 intake manifold, then get a not to over done cam, then roller rockers, 42lb injectors, fuel pump, upgrade exhuast to at least 3 inch, 75mm TB, Wolf 3d, etc.

but main reason for post is im thinking about going 2 T28's off like a GTR, then get a reasonably big intercooler, depends how big i can fit in my front bar, im planning on going to one of those import wreckers and find a good pair of t28's (yes i know the risk of buying s/h turbo's).

now t28's right turbo you think for a twin turbo v8 on NOS?, i thought that would be the best choice but i was just wondering what other people think here (giving my aim in power anyway).

My car is mainly a dyno car, not a strip car so i am really just worry about power on dyno, seeing 400RWKW on a dyno is always good :D, but im a cheat and use NOS, lol, but im guessing on the strip it would also fly......thats if i can get traction....

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Apparantly the blocks are prone to splitting in half once you reach 500hp so budget in a new block while your at it.

I dont think a pair of GTR turbos would be big enough. You have twice the capacity as a GTR engine.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah i have heard about the block splitting LTDHO is running 350RWKW in his, and thats fine at the moment, and i'd be happy with that so, im not going overboard......as much as i'd like to, but im not mr money man.............wish i was.

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Dansedgli wrote:
Apparantly the blocks are prone to splitting in half once you reach 500hp so budget in a new block while your at it.

I dont think a pair of GTR turbos would be big enough. You have twice the capacity as a GTR engine.

yeah gtr turbos would be a bit small.

though if you are looking for cheap i have a pair of turbos here from
RB25 engines. that would still be a bit marginal on a 5L V8 but it would work.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

maybe two gt3071's ??? or since your concerned mainly with dyno figures maybe you could use standard bearing turbos instead of ball bearing turbos to save some money... maybe some gt3271's ??? if you stroke it you will need bigger turbos again so that could up the price if you cant find some second hand...
cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:

yeah gtr turbos would be a bit small.

though if you are looking for cheap i have a pair of turbos here from
RB25 engines. that would still be a bit marginal on a 5L V8 but it would work.

Yeah i forgot the GTR's are 2.6 litre's, guess your right, i might need 2 T4's....., guess im going with T4's then, unless someone else has any better ideas?

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

You wont need big ported heads, or a 347 stroker to make the sort of power you are after with a turbo...

Recent article from MM&FF where they fitted a single turbo kit to a stock 92 LX Mustang. Kit was made up of a Turbonetics 62mm turbo, 42lb injectors, C&L MAF, Kirban AFPR, front mount intercooler, 3" exhaust.

They set max timing to 23 degrees, and tuned fuel with the AFPR. It made 390hp and 487ft-lb of torque at the wheels with 9psi of boost.

Thats with the stock E7 heads, stock HO inlet manifold, and stock cam.

Turbo kit was from Hellion Power Systems, http://www.hellionpowersystems.com

So you don't need to get too radical with heads, cams, intakes, and strokers to make good power with a turbo...especially for the street.

You are playing with fire at those power levels with the stock block at that power level IMO. It may last 2 years, it may last 3 months, but fact is the stock late-model roller 5.0L Windsor wasn't designed for nearly that much power.

Get turbo selection, fuel system, exhaust, intercooler, and something to pull ignition timing w/boost, and you will be laughing :)

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

spack-pilot wrote:
maybe two gt3071's ??? or since your concerned mainly with dyno figures maybe you could use standard bearing turbos instead of ball bearing turbos to save some money... maybe some gt3271's ??? if you stroke it you will need bigger turbos again so that could up the price if you cant find some second hand...
cheers

lol, the turbo's you named i've never heard of in my life, but comparing the gt3271's to t4 difference is what?

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xf

NSW, Australia

check out the GCG website for turbos those are genuine garret turbos (no ebay crap) and the first one i named is slightly larger than a t28 i think the g is just infront to say garret (i dont really know or maybe its a new series...) but have a look at the gcg website ...
cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
You wont need big ported heads, or a 347 stroker to make the sort of power you are after with a turbo...

Recent article from MM&FF where they fitted a single turbo kit to a stock 92 LX Mustang. Kit was made up of a Turbonetics 62mm turbo, 42lb injectors, C&L MAF, Kirban AFPR, front mount intercooler, 3" exhaust.

They set max timing to 23 degrees, and tuned fuel with the AFPR. It made 390hp and 487ft-lb of torque at the wheels with 9psi of boost.

Thats with the stock E7 heads, stock HO inlet manifold, and stock cam.

Turbo kit was from Hellion Power Systems, http://www.hellionpowersystems.com

So you don't need to get too radical with heads, cams, intakes, and strokers to make good power with a turbo...especially for the street.

You are playing with fire at those power levels with the stock block at that power level IMO. It may last 2 years, it may last 3 months, but fact is the stock late-model roller 5.0L Windsor wasn't designed for nearly that much power.

Get turbo selection, fuel system, exhaust, intercooler, and something to pull ignition timing w/boost, and you will be laughing :)

yeah i've seen N/A V8's put 300RWKW out before at dyno days i know no turbo is needed, but easy to just put one on there plus it's funner.

and yes those power levels stock block is not good but since NOS only goes on once every once and while it's not as bad, it's not like im driving around with that 24/7, thats why i just want about 280RWKW for street.

you may not need gt40p heads etc, but it helps and i hate the e7's and ho stuff, the gt40's and better intake manifold will be alot better. just running my 210RWKW now you can feel a heap of restriction(spelling)

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Run a T70 single much less hassle...
Check this out for strength...
http://www.turbomustangs.com/techarticl ... kblock.php
Good read...
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/
And ..
http://www.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=312
;
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0509sr_windsor/

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok, thanks for that

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:12 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

Power: 320 rwkw

VIC, Australia

for the block issues, make sure the engine is balanced properly, this puts less strain on the block.
perhaps 2 t03's say off vl commodores, that is a reasonable size, plus are in gated.

can you fit twin turbos on an EB with the air con ??

BA Ghia 320 rwkw @ FordMods dyno day
Ford Capri nat asp 9.7 @ 140 mph
Other car 580 hp @ wheels now 624.7 hp !!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

v8capri wrote:
for the block issues, make sure the engine is balanced properly, this puts less strain on the block.
perhaps 2 t03's say off vl commodores, that is a reasonable size, plus are in gated.

can you fit twin turbos on an EB with the air con ??

well i have been offered 2 t3's for a reasonably good price, im really thinking about getting them......., and thay are gated too

umm, not sure if you can fit twin turbo's on a EB with aircon......., we'll see i guess, coz i think it'll be a go ahead :wink:

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:25 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EBII Falcon & BF Falcon

WA, Australia

i been offered like a t28, dunno if its worth taken for my EB I6 probly a heap too small i'd think?

EB2 Turbo & BF Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next