Fordmods Logo

24LB Blue Top Injectors....what power level? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 24LB Blue Top Injectors....what power level?
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Hi Fellas,

Does anyone know what power level the 24LB blue top injectors will run up to?

I've had a bit of a search and there's been plenty for sale, but I can't find info on what they're suitable for.

They're standard on some of the XR8s, so I'm thinking around 180ish rwkw? I've noted also that Troyman on his raptor falcon has needed to use 29LB injectors at around the 200rwkw mark.

I have a set on my vehicle (supercharged), and having upgraded some bits I'm wondering if they're now up to the task. If they're not I'd like to upgrade before the next lot of tuning I pay for!

Cheers,
Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Post subject: Re: 24LB Blue Top Injectors....what power level?
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i think the 24lb injectors will still be good for over 200rwkw its just weather you want to run a rising rate reg or not..
im not running a rising rate reg thats why i went up to the 29 lb..

the problem i had was i was given poor information when i was trying to get the car tuned.
i was first told to use the rising rate reg with the std injectors,(this didnt flow enough)
then i was told to fit the ba injectors..(this was to much)
this was due to the poor quality of the first piggyback ecu i was running..
so i then got the 24lb and was told i didnt need them and just use the 29lb (which is in it now).

long story short, with the right combination of fuel pressure,tuning device,and a decent tune.. i think the 24lb are good for over 200rwkw..

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Cool, thats helpful troyman. Any reason why you didn't use the injectors supplied with the raptor kit (36LB or something from memory)?

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

24lb injectors can support 391HP @ 100% duty cycle and standard fuel pressure. This is gross flywheel HP.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:26 am 

NSW, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
Cool, thats helpful troyman. Any reason why you didn't use the injectors supplied with the raptor kit (36LB or something from memory)?

yes the kit came with 36lb injectors..
i didnt use them because the person that did the tune said they were over kill for the piggyback ecu i was running and not necessary?
so i listened!! :oops:

but now im running the ems ecu i can use them. but it was tuned with the 29ld injuctors and the afrs were fine with plenty or room for more or less fuel so i kept them in for now

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
24lb injectors can support 391HP @ 100% duty cycle and standard fuel pressure. This is gross flywheel HP.

xafalcon, that's great info. In this case on my last tune (before some upgrades) I had 250rwhp....so this would be between 295 - 312ish flywheel hp. I can't see my upgrades pushing power up near 390 flywheel hp, so should be safe to keep using them.

TROYMAN wrote:
JoeXR6 wrote:

yes the kit came with 36lb injectors..
i didnt use them because the person that did the tune said they were over kill for the piggyback ecu i was running and not necessary?
so i listened!! :oops:

but now im running the ems ecu i can use them. but it was tuned with the 29ld injuctors and the afrs were fine with plenty or room for more or less fuel so i kept them in for now

Makes sense. Good that the xr6t injectors have worked out suitably. Interesting that raptor chooses to use the 36lb injectors in their kit when power levels don't require them? Maybe Tim is just allowing room for future upgrades.

Cheers,
Joe

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:04 pm 

NSW, Australia

[quote="JoeXR6]

Makes sense. Good that the xr6t injectors have worked out suitably. Interesting that raptor chooses to use the 36lb injectors in their kit when power levels don't require them? Maybe Tim is just allowing room for future upgrades.

Cheers,
Joe[/quote]

i think its better to be safe than sorry!!
ive kept the 36lb injectors for the purpose of future upgrades to the engine.
and ive just upgraded the supercharger pulley for more boost.. :D

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If your building an engine yourself I wouldn't go any smaller then 36Lb injectors..
What the power specs are for N/A is totally different to forced induction..
A Walbro 255 intank pump is also a minimum must !!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
If your building an engine yourself I wouldn't go any smaller then 36Lb injectors..

EBXR8380, what do you mean by 'building an engine yourself'? This isn't a rebuild....just a small (2psi) boost increase...

24lb injectors have been suitable up til now, so would there be a real reason to buy, fit and tune for new ones?

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:

EBXR8380, what do you mean by 'building an engine yourself'? This isn't a rebuild....just a small (2psi) boost increase...

24lb injectors have been suitable up til now, so would there be a real reason to buy, fit and tune for new ones?

Good luck !! Trust be boost never stays that low and your compressor map won't be anywhere near it's efficiancy map...You'll get away with it for a while on a poverty pack tune...
Building a turbo engine I should have said... No re builds required with modest power / boost levels..
These are Ford after all !!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

In the initial post you asked about the power rating of blue XR8 injectors. I replied around the 391HP mark. This was calculated for an XR8 (any 8 cylinder with 8 injectors). I see now that this relates to a 6 cyl application. So the new max gross flywheel is 294HP. 30lb injectors are good for 267HP and 36lb injectors 441HP, all gross flywheel with 6 (not 8) injectors.

Remember also that pressure differential accross the injector has an effect on fuel mass flow. Use a rising rate FP reg to offset this.

Sorry about the earlier post being a red-herring. I'm strictly a V8 person.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:32 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
In the initial post you asked about the power rating of blue XR8 injectors. I replied around the 391HP mark. This was calculated for an XR8 (any 8 cylinder with 8 injectors). I see now that this relates to a 6 cyl application. So the new max gross flywheel is 294HP. 30lb injectors are good for 267HP and 36lb injectors 441HP, all gross flywheel with 6 (not 8) injectors.

Remember also that pressure differential accross the injector has an effect on fuel mass flow. Use a rising rate FP reg to offset this.

Sorry about the earlier post being a red-herring. I'm strictly a V8 person.

xafalcon, no probs - thanks for the updated info! That changes my situation, as it appears the 24lb injectors would be maxing out at the engine's current power level.

I assume you ment 30lb injectors are good for 367hp in the previous post? Troyman, interested in selling those 36lber's!?

Joe

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Update: I spoke with my tuner this morning who pulled up the last tune file. Injector duty cycle was in the 70% range. He said with motec (my ecu) that a diagnostic error comes up if injectors reach 80% duty cycle, and this hadn't happened.

His recommendation was to leave these 24lb injectors in until they became a problem, as the spray pattern will be better for economy and driveability. Any thoughts on this?

My setup is the 'capa' kit, which runs the standard fuel pump + an extra 'T-Rex' (I think this might be a Vortech product?) slimline fuel pump. I looked on capa's website and they are using this pump in the xr6t kits they produce up to 400kw level, so it seems this combo should be up to the job. Maybe this with the fuel pressure regulator is allowing the 24lb injectors to deliver enough fuel?

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:36 am 

NSW, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
Troyman, interested in selling those 36lber's!?

Joe

i was selling them before but now that ive upgraded my pulley i might use them when i finally get it re tuned..
sorry....
JoeXR6 wrote:
Update:
His recommendation was to leave these 24lb injectors in until they became a problem, as the spray pattern will be better for economy and driveability. Any thoughts on this?

some people say that the ev6 29lb or 36lb injectors spray pattern is too different and dont suit e series?
but i beg to differ.. the au ev6 injectors have the same spray pattern as the 29 and 36lb?
and from what ive been told the ev6 atomizes fuel better?? but im no expert..
i can say that with the 29lb injectors i have great throttle responce and im using 9ltr per 100km on freeway and around 14 ltr per 100km around city.. and city driving has a fair amount of first gear boosting lol...
so on average it uses about the same as it did when it was na.

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

No probs Troyman! Bought some rebuilt 36lb boschs from ebay tonight....just in case I need them come re-tune.

Thanks for the all the helpful info fellas.

Joe

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next