Fordmods Logo

$2500 turbo kit 

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: $2500 turbo kit
Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Ok i have been tipped off from a mate our kit is getting hate from this forum :( . My name is Will, i run affordable performance and mech repairs in adelaide. We have spent freakin ages devolping this complete kit for the low cost of $2500 or 3k fitted. Whilst we do list our product on ebay dont go assuming its a chinese "ebay spec" kit full of s**t that will fail the first time it boosts. The only reason its on there is its the cheapest most effictive form of advertising for us. Everything is backed by a warranty. All parts chosen have been used by us for some time and well tested, i wouldnt doubt we have wasted well over $2000 in reasearching parts that have proved unreliable/sub standard.

So many people seem to be hating the fuel system, we have a wideband in the car, as soon as boost hits we hold rock steady flat 11 afr all the way to the limiter. This can be adjusted via fuel pressure which obviously affects afr. Way better than rising rate regs and fuel management units which are very inconnsistent and NOT adjustable. If you think our fuel pumps are s**t why do they hold 140psi fuel pressure @ 200rwkw. We have used these for ages never had any probs.

The car and turbo setup has been through so much abuse its not funny, last weekend it killed 6 new tyres and was happy holding 2nd 100-120kph with 3.08s mini spool and full car. Nothing has ever broken or let us down except one melted brake boosted from before the dump pipe was heatwrapped and we just couldnt wait to do skids at uleynats. We are so confident in the kit otherwise it wouldnt have been out both days at gazzantas. More to say ran out of page!

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:01 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Our turbos are shipped directly from the usa, the reason they are cheap is they are old school technology, bush bearings oil cooled etc. Again we have used these for a while on personal/ customer cars without issues. Funnily enough the turbo r31 we built last month for a customer had turbo probs, GARRETT turbo probs. Brand new genuine gt3540 arrived with comp wheel scrapping cover, had to be sent back. Im not trying to say our turbos are the best around, they are however a great low budget turbo with plenty of power and well tested.

Sure you could buy another branded kit but it wouldn't be complete, little things like fuel pump/setup, heatwrap, gaskets etc etc all add up. If your worried about intercooling get yourself a cooler, simple, we can supply 600x300x76 for addittional $200. We have done bulk street kms on our old wagon with this kit and intake temps arent as high as you all would seem to make out, def not too hot to touch. Think back to the 80s, cordia turbo, pulsar turbo, 280xz turbo, sigma turbo, charade turbo etc all non intercooled from factory with factory warranty. For competition work intercooling is neccessary although we have proved that even without it you can make great power in burnout comps, heatsoak will set in slowing the fun after a 30sec skid. These kits are aimed squarelly at street cars, everyday cars, your pride and joy, not just ex taxi s**t, we just want to prove our kit, what better way than the torture of burnouts.

Any questions please ask. Anyone serious please call me to arrange a chat to explain everything and view the kit fitted to our skid car. Thanks Will

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I wouldn't say getting hate, but it is getting discussion on the forums. Which isn't a bad thing.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Who makes the turbo's and fuel pumps that you use?

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:30 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Hi guys, people labelling our products as s**t without stating a valid reason isnt good for any new product if someone isnt there to stick up for it. As always we are open to constructive cricticism but sayin something is s**t just because it is cheap/not yet well known is ignorant. To the people saying our turbos/pumps and fuel setup/manifolds are crap please give us a reason as to why you think this? As to where our turbos/pumps come from, we know they obviously come from our suppliers but asking them who their wholesalers are isnt going to happen as we could then go through them and cut out the middle man. All we know is we are 100% happy with the parts we source and use and i would be happy for anyone to pick a kit up from my homes front doorstep.

At the end of the day we are the cheapest complete kit on the market that were aware of. Our kit is basic but fully functional with room for future upgrades such as intercooling, more boost/ecu mods. There wouldnt be many that could say they have successfully boosted their eseries for $2500 let alone bought a new kit for $2500 and fitted it without having to spend extra on fuel system, stud kit, piping, filter etc etc. Thanks Will

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

as some constuctive critisism then, offer an intercooled setup :P

also, is there a reason you turbo is set so far back? makes the dump pipew fairly tight

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
Hi guys, people labelling our products as s**t without stating a valid reason isnt good for any new product if someone isnt there to stick up for it. As always we are open to constructive cricticism but sayin something is s**t just because it is cheap/not yet well known is ignorant. To the people saying our turbos/pumps and fuel setup/manifolds are crap please give us a reason as to why you think this? As to where our turbos/pumps come from, we know they obviously come from our suppliers but asking them who their wholesalers are isnt going to happen as we could then go through them and cut out the middle man. All we know is we are 100% happy with the parts we source and use and i would be happy for anyone to pick a kit up from my homes front doorstep.

At the end of the day we are the cheapest complete kit on the market that were aware of. Our kit is basic but fully functional with room for future upgrades such as intercooling, more boost/ecu mods. There wouldnt be many that could say they have successfully boosted their eseries for $2500 let alone bought a new kit for $2500 and fitted it without having to spend extra on fuel system, stud kit, piping, filter etc etc. Thanks Will

The reason why every one asks who makes the turbos and the fuel systems and crap, is becuase there is alot of crap stuff out there, which brakes or fails etc

I dont think no one will buy a non branded turbo and fuel pumps and s**t with out see proof it actually works and never fails

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:12 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

We do plan on offering a complete cooler kit very soon for efs and els with ms piping which will be a bolt on upgrade to the basic kit. The turbo is located rear of centre so the crossover pipe is straight accross and to allow room for pod filter without having to relocate battery. There is plenty of room for the 3" mandrel dump to fit with good clearance.

I am aware there is a load of cheap parts around that are rubbish, i have a big pile of parts we have tried that are useless, we especially had trouble finding a good fuel pressure reg that could hold a steady high pressure and be repeatable every time. We could have opted for a similar sized garrett however these alone retail more than $2000 making our affordable kit not so affordable for most people. I agree no one will by our pruducts without proof they work hence we have the turbo taxi out competing in as many events possible proving our kit dosnt fall apart. I guess the first few are always going to be harder to sell untill we have a few happy customers backing us. Thanks for the imput guys, Will

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:36 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

There are a couple of vids on youtube now for you guys to see
http://www.youtube.com/user/affordableperformanc

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Wagon

NT, Australia

I cant see anything really wrong with this kit, I am sort of playing with the idea of turbo ing our EF wagon, and I dont think I'd be able to do it for that price.

I'm not a big fan of the pod next to the exhaust, or no intercooler, but for the price of the manifold and turbo alone its a good starting point for an intercooled, reocated battery setup surely.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

turbo_will wrote:

If its going to be cheap, then fine, all is well. But it isnt that cheap, when for $500 more you can go to Snort and get (what is known to be) a more reliable, much better looking and more complete kit. For $1800 or so your kit would be good, but at $2555 its overpriced. If you are aiming for cheapness (which you are) it has to cost a lot less.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

93_eb_fairmont wrote:
turbo_will wrote:

If its going to be cheap, then fine, all is well. But it isnt that cheap, when for $500 more you can go to Snort and get (what is known to be) a more reliable, much better looking and more complete kit. For $1800 or so your kit would be good, but at $2555 its overpriced. If you are aiming for cheapness (which you are) it has to cost a lot less.

sorry but your assumptions are way off.
Snort gear is good and has proven it self time and time again, but the kits are not ''complete''

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
93_eb_fairmont wrote:
turbo_will wrote:

Snort gear is good and has proven it self time and time again, but the kits are not ''complete''

I know that, but theyre a more complete kit. Intercooled aswell. By the time you get a good intercooler for this kit, and some nice stainless bends and silicone joiners, you might as well have just gone with the snort kit.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Wagon

NT, Australia

I just had a quick look at the stage 2 SP kit thread (why is there no Stage 1??) anyway, I did notice the SP kit uses an internal wastegated turbo, whereas this cheaper kit uses a 38mm external gate.

This has to be worth something, I'm not so familiar with the Falcon sixes but similar sized turbos on rotary's tend to have the internal gates closed up and external gates fitted to prevent overboosting, but this may have something to do with the airflow characteristics.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:07 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

93_eb_fairmont wrote:
EFFalcon wrote:
93_eb_fairmont wrote:
turbo_will wrote:

I know that, but theyre a more complete kit. Intercooled aswell. By the time you get a good intercooler for this kit, and some nice stainless bends and silicone joiners, you might as well have just gone with the snort kit.

the thing is, the snort kits dont come with intercooler pipework,silicon joiners and no tuning solutions..

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next