Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: $2500 turbo kit
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:

the thing is, the snort kits dont come with intercooler pipework,silicon joiners and no tuning solutions..

I just had a look and you're right, I thought they came with all the plumbing.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

93_eb_fairmont wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

the thing is, the snort kits dont come with intercooler pipework,silicon joiners and no tuning solutions..

I just had a look and you're right, I thought they came with all the plumbing.

Snort can provide intercooler piping etc, but yeah its an extra cost.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

little red wagon wrote:
I just had a quick look at the stage 2 SP kit thread (why is there no Stage 1??) anyway, I did notice the SP kit uses an internal wastegated turbo, whereas this cheaper kit uses a 38mm external gate.

This has to be worth something, I'm not so familiar with the Falcon sixes but similar sized turbos on rotary's tend to have the internal gates closed up and external gates fitted to prevent overboosting, but this may have something to do with the airflow characteristics.

if you're using that to compare prices, ''cheap'' external wastegates are exactly that.. ''cheap''
whilst they work, and i myself am using one, they don't add much to the price of the kit.

in terms of performance, internal gate is more then adequate at low to moderate power.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Strange as it may seem especially with decent turbo..
The wastegate needs to work well on low boost as exh pressure is lower but requires plenty of flow to sustain correct boost levels..Efficiency has alot to do with the way it's fabricated...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

I can see where your coming from with this kit, not everyone wants a Garrett or hks turbo as they would blow their budget. And I myself just bought a Garrett gt3540 for my ef. But I'd back this kit if I had an old e series I wanted to boost just for fun. :)

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

3 things with a turbo setup but you can only have 2 of the 3 no matter what you do
1# cheap but not powerful
2# powerful but not reliable
3# reliable but not cheap

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

Would be awsome if you could fit a W2A intercooler between the turbo and the throttle body.

Hummmmm :wink:

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Hi, 93 eb fairmont, if you can supply us with everything in our kit for $1800 we may as well buy them off you as thats slightly cheaper than our cost price for the complete kit! We have a small profit margin and plan on selling many of these to do alright from it. Being a complete kit dont forget the little things all add up, wiring, relay, efi clamps and efi hose, pressure switch, nuts and bolts, heatwrap, many brass fittings (not cheap!), fuel pump fittings, gaskets, vband kit, studs/nuts, etc etc. Im sure you would probably stuggle to find all the parts required, i no we did. We have also just made a kit to order for a customer running straight lpg. Complete kit minus full fuel system for $2000 directly through us. I still think the fuel system was the hardest part of the kit to get sorted but we can supply without if requested.

As far as internal vers external wastegates, as long as boost pressure is consistent and there is no boost creep then it really dosnt make much difference. With wastegates its generally the bigger the better.

To edxr6 poly ive heard this statment many times, i personally think its a bit of bulldust invented by people with big budgets. Ive got a mate with an eb 5spd burnout car, cheap car and plenty powerful using nitrous only on stock motor, its also been very reliable for the last two seasons. Our skid car has also been cheap, powerfull and reliable. Its all in the combination and how its put together. Ive seen plenty of times people spend heaps, end up with an unreliable setup and not great power per dollar.

4ledboy, w2a could be setup with a pwr barrell or similar. Might not be enough bonnet clearance though.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
To edxr6 poly ive heard this statment many times, i personally think its a bit of bulldust invented by people with big budgets. Ive got a mate with an eb 5spd burnout car, cheap car and plenty powerful using nitrous only on stock motor, its also been very reliable for the last two seasons. Our skid car has also been cheap, powerfull and reliable. Its all in the combination and how its put together. Ive seen plenty of times people spend heaps, end up with an unreliable setup and not great power per dollar.

Funnily enough i agree.
The problem is peoples idea of ''fast''
250rwkw can be had cheap and reliably, but many wouldn't consider that powerful, others would.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU III Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

4LEDboy wrote:
Would be awsome if you could fit a W2A intercooler between the turbo and the throttle body.

Hummmmm :wink:

You could use the Snort water2air inlet manifold. Bolts in where the BBM is and the throttle body is in the same spot

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Sure could, its a nice looking plenum, it would be a neat setup without all the usual intercooler piping.

As a side note we are now completely out of stock of kits and required parts. Due to huge demand we are now going to offer these as basic intercooled tuners/diy kits at a reduced price as they contain less.

Tuners/diy kit will include various parts from the complete kit: turbo, turbo manifold, full oil feed kit, full oil drain kit, all required bolts, t3 gasket, turbo oil gaskets, wastegate, dump pipe and vband kit, screamer pipe, 4" pod filter, stainless heat shield and 600x300x76 intercooler. Priced at $1790 through us directly. Cooler piping, stud kit and fuel/tuning systems etc required. All parts not included are still avaliable through us inc fuel system etc, contact us for details. Any suggestions welcome, thanks will.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

This is a great read for both pros and cons of this set up. Looking at going turbo in about a year so starting to research now.... Can't wait...

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3