Fordmods Logo

4l cortina 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: 4l cortina
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hello there, i have a few questions if anyone has the time, i have a te cortina race car, which at the moment is running a ef/el stock 4l motor, with a custom manifold to fit a cain manifold and holley carb, wade cam, au crank girdle, xr valve springs, tap racing c4 box, anyway im looking at doing up a turbo motor, i have read a few post about fitting baxr turbo rods and pistons, but am still a little unclear what is exaclty involved, i see you have to have the valve cut outs put in the pistons but is that all is there any mods needed for the crank etc to fit the rods are the ba rods and pistons same high etc as the el/ef, any handy hints and tips to look out for when fitting them.

also has any one heard of tap racing gear boxs, its a strange set up, the torque converter has been cut in half and has a pipe welded in the gearbox behind the converter, which runs of to a tap then comes back to the side of the gear box, what happens is if i have the tap lever down i am able to put the car in gear, but it will not move, you can rev the s**t out of it then tap the little lever up and the car will take off, but you cant pull up or anything if you have the tap lever up (engaged) as i have only brought the car i havent tryed it out yet if any one knows a little about the set up would be great, its a prick to get of the trailer any way, your sort of on or off i think its some way by passing the oil untill you engage the tap lever.

ok cheers for your time guys.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Big bad transbrake!
I take it that this is a drag car?

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

nah it was a pro mod speedway car, but i will be racing dirt circuit with it, so its a trans brake.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: F350, EF2 Ghia, XC & Corty

Power: 218 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You have nothing to gain by fitting BA Turbo pistons, unless you opt for aftermarket forged pistons. The Std BA turbo pistons are cast, same as ef/el (hypereutectic) but with different valve reliefs.
As for conrods, Std ones will hold up fine for 90% of ppl. but if you need better get a set of H-beam rods for a BA. Will bolt straight in without mods.
Acl made a forged BA turbo piston, buy it and get the extra valve reliefs cut.

13.28@103.73mph

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

yer i think your right, i have been thinking a lillte more about and i would expect power around 200, 250 kw at the rears would be fine, been on dirt you would be struggling to control it with any more than that, me anyway. like a few people have said a well preped standard bottom end is good for the power range id be after, to be honest i only wanna blitz me mate who has just built a eb falcon with a gen3 in it, yer dont tell me what a @&%k, anyway thats tuned to 230 rwkw. anything around that to shut him up would be sweet.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The a sohc engine's rotating assembly will take 300 rwkw with ease with good safe tune...Besides there are 100,000 of them in wreckers anyway...
I would weld wings on sump to prevent oil surge and help with cooling.. It would be better if it was efi and turbo... You'll need atleast 30 Lb injectors..
I have some 55's around here somewhere???

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]