stay 2 1/2 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 26

Post subject: Re: advantages of 3" exhaust on supercharged 4ltr
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

you should be running the 36lbs injectors if you bought the raptor kit. Im surprised you got 155 with stock injectors as it is. Mine original ones peaked out as soon as boost hit. What fuel pump are you running? or are you using a rising rate?

The VCT engine should handle heaps more than 175rwkw. I would have thought at least, 185+.

Sounds like a bit more tuning once the right injectors are fitted and you should see a much better gain.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

well the kit came with the 36lb injectors but were to big..
so i fitted the ba 29lb injectors and with the fuel table deep in the minus while being tuned (piggyback ecu) its still to rich.
im running the walbro 255 pump aswell..

but its now back at the tuner re fitted the ba injectors today and the tuner is going to pull more fuel out on the tune.. and ill see what happens..

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
well the kit came with the 36lb injectors but were to big..
so i fitted the ba 29lb injectors and with the fuel table deep in the minus while being tuned (piggyback ecu) its still to rich.
im running the walbro 255 pump aswell..

but its now back at the tuner re fitted the ba injectors today and the tuner is going to pull more fuel out on the tune.. and ill see what happens..

ah ok. sounds like you still running the e-series ecu. I know with mine (AU) Im running the flash tuner and I think that has the capabilities to control the flow rates of the injectors. I know my engine has more in it, but the cam is struggling. Im gonna keep the 2.5" in exhaust though. I dont think thats my issue either. I reckon a cam will improve things in the meantime with some added boost, then a w2a system later.

I dont understand why Im not running at 8-9lbs boost. Im only getting 4-5lbs for some reason. Do you think my tuner had backed the boost off due to the cam, pinging, cooling etc?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:57 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

boost with superchargers is dicated by pulley size.
you should speak with whoever made the charger to find out how much boost your pulley size should be giving.
if it's a 10psi pulley, you should look at any restrictions in the piping, intake and charge, or possible boost leaks, from joiners or the BOV.
or you engine is much more efficient with the cam, in which case it would explain you making the same power as troyman with less boost.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:57 pm 

NSW, Australia

yea im running the el ecu..
soon ill be removing the vct head and fitting a port and polished ef head i had on the previous engine. then ill look at the 3" exhaust.

is your set up still running the au plastic pipe to the throttle body??
as when i had it on mine it was loosing boost through the rubber seal around the throttle body..

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
yea im running the el ecu..
soon ill be removing the vct head and fitting a port and polished ef head i had on the previous engine. then ill look at the 3" exhaust.

is your set up still running the au plastic pipe to the throttle body??
as when i had it on mine it was loosing boost through the rubber seal around the throttle body..

aaaah. yes, I am running the plastic bendy pipe from the straight steel pipe supplied with the system.

Do you reckon that I have a boost leak like Steady ED has mentioned???

Here is my setup

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:13 pm 

NSW, Australia

ahh yep....
what i did before i got new alloy pipe made up, i removed that spring band thats around the rubber that goes to the throttle body and put the narrow factory hose clamp around the rubber and throttle body and it was making boost easy..

Attachments:
DSC01421.JPG
DSC01421.JPG [ 301.44 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
ahh yep....
what i did before i got new alloy pipe made up, i removed that spring band thats around the rubber that goes to the throttle body and put the narrow factory hose clamp around the rubber and throttle body and it was making boost easy..

aaaah I see yes. I reckon Im gonna do that first thing tomorrow. Dam I knew it was something simple like that. LOL

Do you think I will need a retune to compensate for this?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

shav wrote:
But generally speaking a w2a system loses less boost than a a2a system.

Yes and no. It has very little to do with the type of itnercooler (be it a2a or W2A), it is to do with the volume of air to be compressed. Typically you are correct that W2A setups loose less boost through the intercooler and associated pipe work, but this is dominately due to the fact that W2A intercoolers are smaller and the pipe work is a lot shorter (as it doesn't have to be run to the front of the car) and as a result of these the volume of air to be compressed is less, and therefore less boost drop.
You'd find that if you set your W2A setup at the front of your car where the A2A intercooler would go in a FMIC setup (yes, I realise that you wouldn't as there's no point but this is for hypothetical argument), and the internal volume of the W2A is the same as the internal volume of the A2A intercooler that the reduction in boost would be pretty much equal as the volume of air to be compressed is the same.
Basically the point is it's about how you set it up. Often people will use smaller intercooler piping etc. to change the effect.

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
boost with superchargers is dicated by pulley size.

Yes, but there are more factors than just that. The boost rating of a pulley is for a particular setup (usually pipe straight from centri blower to throttlebody). If you change the volume of air between the supercharger and engine (e.g. due to a FMIC setup) then that rating is no longer applicable as the volume of air is different.
A Toyota factory fitted sueprcharger with a 6psi pulley on the factory setup fitted to a Falcon engine (and setup so that the supercharger is getting the exact same RPM as it was in the Toyota factory setup) won't boost 6psi on the larger engine - the 6psi pulley on it is rated based on the setup.

I just read the post above yours though and realise now what your responding too, the fella above seemed to indicate that he thought his tuner reduced the boost through the tune - not possible with a supercharger, have to physically change something in the setup - be it the pulley or volume of air to be compressed.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4