Fordmods Logo

Anyone running 4l turbo on straight gas?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Anyone running 4l turbo on straight gas??
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XF Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Just dropped a ED XR6 4L in my XF Ghia. Got it running fine on straight gas using the XF EFI computer and Air Flow Meter. Now I want to bolt on my turbo kit (T04 with T07 compressor wheel). And also want to dump the AFM. It's been suggested that I should have an XE dizzy modded to suit 4L therefore not using the XF comp at all. This works out cheaper than aftermarket ECU The biggest question with this setup is how to regulate the gas intake. I have been told it should be fine.. but looking to get a few opions on that.
I'm interested to hear your thoughts and about any straight gas turbo setup!! Is there another way I can set this up without spending the $2500 on the ECU?

Build it yourself, you'll appreciate it more!

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

A couple of answers.

1. Yes - use the XE Dizzzy. Get it regraphed to do what you want.
1a. Alternate : Use the silicon chip Programmable ignition system to run the Dizzy. Little bit of mucking, but it will work now, and it will work when you do something silly (turbo).

2. The Gas computer doesnt use the Petrol one - this is a really good idea.
2a. Actually, if its really an 86 XF or so, you might not have a Gas computer. This might actually be better as you just need to make sure the LPG system is tuned (GasResearch perhaps) and you will be fine. Just the Ignition needs sorting and you will have less reliability issues (See 1 and 1a)
2b. The LPG ECU may actually be needed depending on exactly when you had your system installed - emiisions etc. LPG ECU's arent as smart as petrol ones and just trim the LPG to suit. Hence it will be realy important that you get the system tuned correctly.

Cheers

Nigel

p.s. Im running an EF Ghia with LPG (mostly LPG, not using petrol if I can help it) and Im getting very tempted to run the silicon chip ignition controller. Mucho simpler. I would use an EB/D/L Dizzy in that case. The Dizzy has an igniter built into it, so the silicon chip ignition stuff would recieve the Dizzy signal, and trigger the TFI module for ignition. Sounds easy in theory.

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

So.. what your saying is:
I could either get the XE dizzy setup or the silicone chip setup. Checked out their site and couldn't find price. I did find a setup on MSD here's the link http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=5859

Your spot on with the gas. It's not running a gas comp as far as I know. (87 model). It currently relies on the vacuum through the gas feed ring. It's an Air Rod setup. Fitted new approx 6 months ago. Maybe I should give Air rod a call and see what they think...

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Id still look at the silicon chip thing (go to www.jaycar.com.au) - look for programmable ignition controller. About $80 from memory, another $40 or so for the hand controller to program it.

As for the LPG side.... yeah check with airod

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Probably a silly question.. should I get the silicone chip setup and run it with my CPI dizzy or get XE custom dizzy and also run it with the chip? Does it come with good instructions?

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I dont know for you.
I believe the XE Dissy will need a modification to work correctly - cant remember what it is.

For me : Id use the silicon chip kit (easy to build) and go that way. Means you have to get involved technically but thats not a bad thing

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Heaps cheaper then the MSD unit! I've have good think about it!!

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Sure is.

Your runnign an XF arent you : I believe that used a special relay to control the fuel pump - and the same relay can be used as the LPG Lock off control. If not - you have the choice of using an XE relay (Injection control relay i think its called) or getting an LPG Lock off.

Ahh for the good old days (I used to have an XD with straight LPG 250 injected in it)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]