Fordmods Logo

BA pistons/rods into E series block 

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: rod & pistons
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

i just orderd a set of spool rods and cp pistons for my 4ltr build, will try get some pics up when they come.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

What did they cost you mate?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

were $2090, of ebay.

Post subject: Re: BA pistons/rods into E series block
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
I dropped off my forged BA pistons to my engine machinist to have the valve relief milled out to match a stock E series piston.

He suggested that I first check with the dummy assembly as to whether it actually needs the notches milled as he reckons he has come across a few engines that have notches milled but when they checked found that they could get away with no notch. The valve notch when done is the weak area of the piston.

Has anyone ever checked this. It would entail most of the engine assembled then rotating it with some plasticine in the critical area to see what clearance you get on a full rotation of the engine.

The inlet valve will hit since there is no valve relief notch on the inlet side of the piston

I just milled my block and pistons to zero deck height clearance " meaning pistons are level with the block height. Actual pistons were poking out of the block , have corrected that . Bit of a juggling act in a milling machine with piston and rod still together.

Should see some nice compression ratio , have measure it yet.

The pistons needed inlet and exhaust valve releifs machined using a AU bottom end with a early series cylinder head.

Big custome grind crow camshaft over 600th@280 advertised duration.

Attachments:
DSC00109M.JPG
DSC00109M.JPG [ 29.48 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Post subject: the obvious Question
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont Wagon

QLD, Australia

Why has no one asked WHY???
Why not get some after market pistons and rods etc that are correct from the get go.
For the price, labour and risk some one in the "States" must do custom parts to your spec's and take the sweating away on the first crank over.

Post subject: Re: the obvious Question
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

kiwi in oz wrote:
Why not get some after market pistons and rods etc that are correct from the get go.
For the price, labour and risk some one in the "States" must do custom parts to your spec's and take the sweating away on the first crank over.

good point! ...is it not possible to do a mock up with light checking springs to get your P-V clearance
i think youll find that cam duration and valve overlap will be more of a problem than lift ...and how quick the cam ramps up

Post subject: Re: the obvious Question
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:32 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

kiwi in oz wrote:

The OP was talking about aftermarket pistons, its alot cheaper to get aftermarket pistons that are already available for the AU/BA rod, and deal with the consequences of that then is to get custom pistons made up to suit an E-Series rod...

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

With lower comp pistons there's hardly any notching required...
I got some C.P pistons custom made for 1UZ motor for $1500 I assume a 6 would be cheaper...
Order or ask here Jason Bonney <jason@qri.biz>
Through Quanum racing...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Last edited by EBXR8380 on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BA pistons/rods into E series block
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
I dropped off my forged BA pistons to my engine machinist to have the valve relief milled out to match a stock E series piston.

He suggested that I first check with the dummy assembly as to whether it actually needs the notches milled as he reckons he has come across a few engines that have notches milled but when they checked found that they could get away with no notch. The valve notch when done is the weak area of the piston.

Has anyone ever checked this. It would entail most of the engine assembled then rotating it with some plasticine in the critical area to see what clearance you get on a full rotation of the engine.

If you are using a cam with more than 500 thou lift at the valve, it pays to get the pistons fly cut, at least it gives you the option to go for lift up to say 570 thou, but I believe ther is no gain to be made after say 560 thou lift.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Peak lift is not the problem. it's the lift around TDC that determins if you need to cut the pistons.

you could run .600" and still not have to touch the pistons so as the duration is short enough and the LSA wide enough to have very low lifts around TDC.

bottom line is, mock up the engine and check it

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:34 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

i mocked up the engine without the head gasket and got 0.2mm clearance with the inlet valve. Now with the a stock 40 thou gasket thats plenty of clearance but with a AU gasket of 0.5mm it gives me a total clerance of 0.7mm (28thou). The question is is this enough ( think it is). I am using a pretty mild cam.

My piston to deck height is zero which also gives only 20thou piston to head clearance which is very tight. Does anyone know what clearances the AU pistons (or even BA pistons) run. I would think that the AU pistons are around 10 to 20thou below the deck to get at least 30thou piston to head clearance.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

you need to bolt the head on with one set of soft springs on one cylinder only, with cam and t/c then slowly spin the engine. Check for clearance thru the whole rototation. We prefer to have a min of 0.080" but I have seen others run 0.060".

With just over 500" lift I am running 095" clearance. Thats with ACL flat tops, 0.005 deck height

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

turbotrana wrote:
i mocked up the engine without the head gasket and got 0.2mm clearance with the inlet valve. Now with the a stock 40 thou gasket thats plenty of clearance but with a AU gasket of 0.5mm it gives me a total clerance of 0.7mm (28thou). The question is is this enough ( think it is). I am using a pretty mild cam.

My piston to deck height is zero which also gives only 20thou piston to head clearance which is very tight. Does anyone know what clearances the AU pistons (or even BA pistons) run. I would think that the AU pistons are around 10 to 20thou below the deck to get at least 30thou piston to head clearance.

piston to head clearence should be no less then 35thou.

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:57 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Thanks. The piston manufacturer recomends 30thou and the norm nowadays is 35thou.

My inlet valve pockets have to be made deeper. I reckon a piston to valve for the inlet of 55thou will be OK.

I havent accounted for the fact that the head will have to be faced so either way the pistons need some more machining done to them. Thank god for floating pistons pins.

I am wondering about the guys who are replacing their 1mm normal head gasket with the the commetic steel shim metal head gaskets which are about .5 to .6mm thickness in the E series. They are probably getting a piston to head clearance of 25 thou and dont seem to have clearance problems.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

I may be going out on a limb here.... but why not use a full BA motor since there are plenty of smashed up donor cars around?

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next