Fordmods Logo

Ba xr6 Turbo mrk2 pistons and rods into my el i6? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Ba xr6 Turbo mrk2 pistons and rods into my el i6?
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:50 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

would the ba pistons and con rods fit into my el engine ?would i have any problems?

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

yes, you need to have the pistons flycut, cos the ba pistons arent suited for the 2 valve head, other than that they should fit fine

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:01 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
yes, you need to have the pistons flycut, cos the ba pistons arent suited for the 2 valve head, other than that they should fit fine

how much would this cost?
how much are forgies for a el engine low comp pistons?

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:07 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I've attached a pic of the BA XR6t piston showing the two exhaust valve reliefs at the back of the pic. Note the direction of the arrow on the piston crown and the fairly minimal amount of dish.

Compared to an E-series piston which has one valve relief on the inlet side. The depth of the valve relief is deeper in EF than AU. As you probably know, a stock EF piston is actually an ACL hyperutectic piston with relatively low comp due to its dish.

So to use a BA type piston you obviously have to use the 6.0" rods to suit the higher pin height of the longer rods. The differences in the crown would be a slight comp increase over stock dished pistons (as the chambers of the twin cam head have a larger volume). Accordingly you can get the crown machined down a touch as there is a fair bit of meat in them. The inlet valve relief would need to be fly cut on each piston at a rough cost of $25 ea and there would be an associated cost of removing and replacing pistons on rods. Since they are a floating pin type alignment is not an issue.

The subsequent compression issue is not one i have yet done the maths on but experience tells me you would then have to CC your E-series head. Since the e-series heads have a large quench area you can de-shroud around the inlet valve a bit and also pic up some volume on the opposing side. This is a job for the experienced and would require a quality burette to measure the differences and equalise the chambers.

If you search you might find where others have priced the different types of rods including LPG and typhoon rods. Turbotrana has also recently posted some prices for aftermarket rods. In short it will cost you a fair bit but it is entirely possible to do.

IMHO stick with stock pistons, prep your stock rods with a resize, ream to 7/16 and use ARP bolts from an AMC rambler (IIRC). Polish and shotpeen then balance.

Attachments:
BA acl race series forged.jpg
BA acl race series forged.jpg [ 21.43 KiB | Viewed 219 times ]

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]