Baby CAM to suit a supercharged EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Baby CAM to suit a supercharged EL
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo VT, VL Calais Trubo, HQ SS

VIC, Australia

Hi fellas,

I just wanted to pick a few brains and get a few comments of wisdom from those who have already been where I wish to venture.

In the coming months I will be installing a snort supercharger kit to my EL. It will either be the eaton or the sprintex. The car will be set up to run injected gas and also petrol at times.

Therefore I am fitting a EL tickford head (I was going to look at port and polishing however due to the forced induction I have been told its a waste of money)

So other mods that I was going to do at the same time were, bigger valves, better springs, MLS gasket set, and adjustable cam gear.

I was orginally going to use the tickford cam, but now thinking I should just go with a baby cam from wade. The car is going to be a daily. I am just after something that is fun to drive and not nasty on fuel.

In saying that which cam am I best going with? I want something which gives me very good idle and does not ruin my fuel economy.

I gave wade cams a call and they suggested the 1636. What do you guys think? I would love to hear from those who actually using that cam, and what sort of gains did you achieve?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Baby CAM to suit a supercharged EL
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Call Surecam. They custom grind to suit your application.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FORD FE LTD TURBO/ XE TURBO

NSW, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
Hi fellas,

I just wanted to pick a few brains and get a few comments of wisdom from those who have already been where I wish to venture.

In the coming months I will be installing a snort supercharger kit to my EL. It will either be the eaton or the sprintex. The car will be set up to run injected gas and also petrol at times.

Therefore I am fitting a EL tickford head (I was going to look at port and polishing however due to the forced induction I have been told its a waste of money)

So other mods that I was going to do at the same time were, bigger valves, better springs, MLS gasket set, and adjustable cam gear.

I was orginally going to use the tickford cam, but now thinking I should just go with a baby cam from wade. The car is going to be a daily. I am just after something that is fun to drive and not nasty on fuel.

In saying that which cam am I best going with? I want something which gives me very good idle and does not ruin my fuel economy.

I gave wade cams a call and they suggested the 1636. What do you guys think? I would love to hear from those who actually using that cam, and what sort of gains did you achieve?

Thanks in advance

I own a capa supercharged one. The cam in it is a jim mock grind. POrted head as well as springs and s**t. Goes ok

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you dont mind me asking how much was the cam? And whats it like on fuel? I will mostly keep the head standard, with just upgraded springs and valves and do the cam.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

Have used camtech CT006845 before, however ask them to grind it @114 deg. Very good cam and broad area under the curve

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
If you dont mind me asking how much was the cam? And whats it like on fuel? I will mostly keep the head standard, with just upgraded springs and valves and do the cam.

Not sure on the cost. Fuel wise it's ok. 450 to a tank. Thats with twin pumps vortech regulator. Custom tune and bigget injectors. But who cares.... why would you play with a car if its fuel you worry about?

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That sounds like decent average. I know what you mean about chasing power and trying to save. I have 8 cars mate. I want this as a daily and i am just trying to find a happy medium.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
That sounds like decent average. I know what you mean about chasing power and trying to save. I have 8 cars mate. I want this as a daily and i am just trying to find a happy medium.

Don't supercharge it then.... trust me. Leave it as it is and drive it daily.

Otherwise be prepared for knick knacks, pulling it off the road here and there.... it's inevitable.

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I know hiccups are unavoidable but as long as its not too often i am cool with that. I have 8 cars. I can always use another for a few days.

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

BoostedVT wrote:
I know hiccups are unavoidable but as long as its not too often i am cool with that. I have 8 cars. I can always use another for a few days.

cool.
8 regos, fun!

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Hey mate, how are you going with this build, I have been getting my car ready to put on an eaton Kit also M112, and would be intersested to see how yours is progressing, I have got a fair bit of work done now to try and eleviate any issues down the track. I actually went with a Crow 2222549 cam, with heavy duty performance springs, stainless valves, new retainers and collets, re worked tickford head port and polished 94DT, fully rebuild block full gasket set and AU metal head gasket, only got it back a couple of weeks ago and was running bad at idle so got onto Jason at TI performance for a J3 and now it runs atreat, I am so happy with setup, car is responsive. I also had a fully rebuild LSD and 3.45 diff put in (as this will be enough when charger goes in I am advised). Car has all the usual Pacemaker, hi flow cat back 2,5 ( which I will change a section before mandrel bend at back when charger goes in to a 3inch back into 2.5), K&N Pod and au V8 snorkel. I am prb amout 3-4months away from Blower but have researched a fair bit and the eaton I like as it is a bit tidier in engine bay but is fine up to about 10psi non intercooled as it wont heat up as much due to its large capcity. I have some pics I will post up if your interested.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cmon4 wrote:
Hey mate, how are you going with this build, I have been getting my car ready to put on an eaton Kit also M112, and would be intersested to see how yours is progressing, I have got a fair bit of work done now to try and eleviate any issues down the track. I actually went with a Crow 2222549 cam, with heavy duty performance springs, stainless valves, new retainers and collets, re worked tickford head port and polished 94DT, fully rebuild block full gasket set and AU metal head gasket, only got it back a couple of weeks ago and was running bad at idle so got onto Jason at TI performance for a J3 and now it runs atreat, I am so happy with setup, car is responsive. I also had a fully rebuild LSD and 3.45 diff put in (as this will be enough when charger goes in I am advised). Car has all the usual Pacemaker, hi flow cat back 2,5 ( which I will change a section before mandrel bend at back when charger goes in to a 3inch back into 2.5), K&N Pod and au V8 snorkel. I am prb amout 3-4months away from Blower but have researched a fair bit and the eaton I like as it is a bit tidier in engine bay but is fine up to about 10psi non intercooled as it wont heat up as much due to its large capcity. I have some pics I will post up if your interested.

Yes please.... I would love some pics mate. I am still a few months off before i complete my install. I am still gathering all the little parts before I take my car off the road. I was going to go the eaton blower also but now I am going for the whipple with a liquid cooled set up.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon EL

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
File comment: Block
block.jpg
block.jpg [ 443.75 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]

stipped down and getting cleaned up
Attachment:
block2.jpg
block2.jpg [ 433.33 KiB | Viewed 364 times ]

Attachment:
block3.jpg
block3.jpg [ 380.74 KiB | Viewed 369 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Head
Head-side.jpg
Head-side.jpg [ 483.87 KiB | Viewed 357 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Polish
polish.jpg
polish.jpg [ 424.63 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Springs
springs.jpg
springs.jpg [ 373.62 KiB | Viewed 355 times ]

Heavy duty performance springs
Attachment:
File comment: Stainless Valves
valves-stainless.jpg
valves-stainless.jpg [ 479.38 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Engine
Engine.jpg
Engine.jpg [ 109.82 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]

Painted block and ready to go in
Attachment:
Engine2.jpg
Engine2.jpg [ 83.21 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]

Have just got car Back with it all together will post some more up of it all in.
Goes pretty hard now, havent given it heaps yet as just running it in, have done about 1000ks on mineral oil and changing over to a semi synthetic now. I have done a fair bit to interior as well as the body, will update my gallery and am thinking of putting a build up. Keep me up to date with how your going as am keen to see how you go.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cmon4 wrote:
Attachment:
block.jpg

stipped down and getting cleaned up
Attachment:
block2.jpg

Attachment:
block3.jpg

Attachment:
Head-side.jpg

Attachment:
polish.jpg

Attachment:
springs.jpg

Heavy duty performance springs
Attachment:
valves-stainless.jpg

Attachment:
Engine.jpg

Painted block and ready to go in
Attachment:
Engine2.jpg

Have just got car Back with it all together will post some more up of it all in.
Goes pretty hard now, havent given it heaps yet as just running it in, have done about 1000ks on mineral oil and changing over to a semi synthetic now. I have done a fair bit to interior as well as the body, will update my gallery and am thinking of putting a build up. Keep me up to date with how your going as am keen to see how you go.

Looking good mate. I will keep you posted on how I am tracking. I just put a deposit down on a AU tickford head so I will pick it up in a few weeks and then grab the rest of the goodies such as valve springs, head studs etc.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]