Fordmods Logo

best computer to use with a turbo?? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: best computer to use with a turbo??
Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

james88 wrote:
how hard is the ems to install. Like how many wires. Is the 4424 good for my ef turbo

the 4424 is probably the easiest to install and is the cheaper of the ems ecu's..
its not cheap quality wise, it just doesnt have as many inputs and outputs the 6860 has..

the 4424 can read up to 30psi boost, has 4 injector outputs, 4 ignition outputs, 4 aux outputs
that can be used for, thermo fans,fuel pump,bbm activation, idle speed controler. ect
it also has an input for nos activation or anti lag, launch control or a idle up trigger for when air con is triggered or when put into gear(auto)..

im running a 4424 and i think its pretty cool, can read,tune,adjust and data log via my lap top.
the only extra thing required if your running coil packs is an ignition igniter/module to drive the coils..

where the 6860 is pretty much the same but has 6 injector outputs( sequential injection) 6 ignition outputs (sequential ignition) 6 aux outputs..
tuning software is the same for the 4424,6860 and 8860....

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
james88 wrote:
quick question. With an aftermarket ecu with the map sensors do they run manifold pressure hose to the actual ecu it.self or manifold pressure to a map sensor then a signal to the ecu

in the case of an ems ecu the map is built into the ecu.. so a vacuum line runs from the manifold directly to the ecu..

Megasquirt is also setup like this.

Cheers

ToranaGuy.

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

im looking at the 4424 starter kits now. And when they say to suit 1 coil or 2 coil etc. How many will i need for my ef i thought 1. And ask when you said about the injector outputs how are the ef injectors firing on the factory computer in 3 groups of two or what

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

so when you talk about the upper models have 6 injector outputs you mean each injector can be controlled seperate. Which isn't really needed. And for the 4424 which has 4 injector out puts can fire the injectors in 3 groups of two etc

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

but the ef has sequential injection doesn't that mean instead of every injector firing at the same time they all fire seperately from a signal from the crank sensor

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:59 pm 

NSW, Australia

james88 wrote:
im looking at the 4424 starter kits now. And when they say to suit 1 coil or 2 coil etc. How many will i need for my ef i thought 1. And ask when you said about the injector outputs how are the ef injectors firing on the factory computer in 3 groups of two or what

you need a 3 coil igniter, ef coil pack is actually 3 coils..

james88 wrote:
so when you talk about the upper models have 6 injector outputs you mean each injector can be controlled seperate. Which isn't really needed. And for the 4424 which has 4 injector out puts can fire the injectors in 3 groups of two etc

yep 6 outputs mean you can run 1 injector per output,(full sequential)
with the ems 4424 you run batch fire injectors, 1 output drives 3 injectors and another runs the other 3.

james88 wrote:
but the ef has sequential injection doesn't that mean instead of every injector firing at the same time they all fire seperately from a signal from the crank sensor

actually ef is not sequential, its still batch fire, au was the first to run sequential injection..

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok great thanks for your help. I've heard of some people running 6 coils from a ls1 or something and firing each coil seperately which also isn't really needed for what i want i think ill get the 4424 with 3 coil and the igniter. What exactly does that ignition igniter do

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm 

NSW, Australia

james88 wrote:
ok great thanks for your help. I've heard of some people running 6 coils from a ls1 or something and firing each coil seperately which also isn't really needed for what i want i think ill get the 4424 with 3 coil and the igniter. What exactly does that ignition igniter do

the coil igniter is what triggers the coil to spark.. similar to how a tfi module works..
but in the ef ecu the coil igniters are built into the ecu..

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok thanks a heap i will most likely be asking more questions while im installing the 4424 to my car. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the 4424 just so i can see whats involved

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:53 pm 

NSW, Australia

here are a few links to (aem) the ems forum..
http://www.enginemanagement.com.au/foru ... c6d988c1c2
a link to download the tuning software so you can check it out..
http://www.enginemanagement.com.au/down ... ngerV2.exe

there are also diagrams and manuals on the ems site..
http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/emsheaderpage.htm

this way you get a good look at everything before you buy one..

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Adaptronic http://www.adaptronic.com.au/
Is another cheap good ecu..
Btw cop can also be wasted spark...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

james88 wrote:
yeah i know a few people that have been to him and they speak highly of him. Also with my above post im also looking for price when lookin for the ecu

you talking bout Paul from LMG bro?

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yeah for sure mate. i talked to him a bit and i know alot of people that speak very highly of him

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

james88 wrote:

you can also use LS1 coils in the same fashion as EF coils. So 2 coils fire at one time (wasted spark). With the 6860 or 8860 you can in sequential spark and fuel on an I6.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford ef

SA, Australia

just wondering i wont be able to a ford to buy a brand new one just wondering if would be to hard to buy a second hand one from a diffrant car and change to fit to my ef falcon cheers

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next