Fordmods Logo

blue printing / rebuilding bottom end 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6T

WA, Australia

cheers for your help

will try ovaboost and hyperdrive on monday. nothing wrong with having forges tho :P

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!
No mods, anyone want a xr6t ?

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

thought id keep you guys informed.
just got quoted a much better price of 3000 for fitting a new motor (au series 2/3), reconditioning the head, fitting and supplying forgies and the associated paperwork (engine change) as well as a few little extras (polioshing the cylinders, checking clearances etc etc)
said the could even slightly port it for a lil bit extra

personally i think thats a pretty good price considering it was 1000 in labour for a simple clutch change)

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

seeing as x-speed havent done a falcon before and by the sounds of haveing australias fastest skyline, it is understandable that they have quoted such a high cost for the rebuild and recomended forged internals. As most NON-Turboed cars taht are going to get turboed USUALLY require stronger internals because NA engines arent usually created for HUGE power. take a look at the nissan motors, i now the sr20det has std forged internals and can hold there own for upwards of 230 RWKW in an s13/s14 possibley more, but with a ca18det motor, they are not forged and things break at about 180rwkw in the same cars. and i wouldnt say its the size, as 200cc in cars that can make these sorts of power isnt going to affect it hugely though it will affect it obviously.
in saying that, if they treat a falcon motor like a n16 pulsar motor that somebody wants to turbo, it makes sense they have quoted such a high price as they dont yet know what the falcon i6 motors are capable of holding.
If taht makes absolutely no sense to anyone, please shoot me down i dont mind haha

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

makes sense but as they havent done one before its a tad of a grey area if you get what i mean

sure there is a first time for everythingbut as anyone would - im prolly going to go for someone who has worked these motors before (Y)

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: EF II Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

mate of mine got his RB20 rebuilt to an RB24 and it ended up costing him about $12k.... So they are probably looking at how much it would normally cost to rebuild a Nissan motor, which i am guessing it is cheaper to build an Ausiie motor

Current Rides:
VX SS Commodore

EF II Fairmont Ghia, stock as a rock.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6t

NSW, Australia

ddoth wrote:
thought id keep you guys informed.
just got quoted a much better price of 3000 for fitting a new motor (au series 2/3), reconditioning the head, fitting and supplying forgies and the associated paperwork (engine change) as well as a few little extras (polioshing the cylinders, checking clearances etc etc)
said the could even slightly port it for a lil bit extra

personally i think thats a pretty good price considering it was 1000 in labour for a simple clutch change)

$3000 for the work is deffinately a much better price, but still only worth doing if you have the money to spare. As for xr6t internals i dont think they are much stronger? many xr6ts have blown bottom ends at 270ish rwkw, some have even blown stock.

Rides:
-Ba xr6t, wog cooler, K&N pod on custom intake, battery moved to other side, flash, custom cooler piping, presons auto, car pc, 19" lenso speed 6, going for 300rwkw
-FZR 250- run around bike

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF XR8 & 2002 GSXR-1000

WA, Australia

X-Speed are a f-king good shop. That is the price you pay for their service. Upon saying that, if they haven't touched a Falcon before (which doesn't suprise me, as they are heavily concentrated on the imports market), I wouldn't be going there to be the first.

Apparently BPT (A sponsor of this site) is now doing drive in-drive out snort kits for the e-series. One would assume they do rebuilds for them as well.

Also might want to try Simon at Xtreme Ford Tuning. He currently has a 500+RWKW Typhoon (I know it isn't an eseries, but at least he has worked on the 4L before), so he must be doing something right as well.

The fast fun: Suzuki GSXR1000
The one I use when I can't use the fast fun: Blown EF XR8

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Xtreme tuning sounds familiar. I believe I rang him up ... wonder why i didnt go to them *ponders*

I get the car back on tuesday - atleast i hope so, they have changed the date 3 times now *cries*

It is all balanced now, just need to put her in and hook everything up - hope nothing goes wrong, that would be BAD !

Next step stronger internals for the box. Shall be turboed at the end of the year :D

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Kilma wrote:
X-Speed are a f-king good shop. That is the price you pay for their service. Upon saying that, if they haven't touched a Falcon before (which doesn't suprise me, as they are heavily concentrated on the imports market), I wouldn't be going there to be the first.

Apparently BPT (A sponsor of this site) is now doing drive in-drive out snort kits for the e-series. One would assume they do rebuilds for them as well.

Also might want to try Simon at Xtreme Ford Tuning. He currently has a 500+RWKW Typhoon (I know it isn't an eseries, but at least he has worked on the 4L before), so he must be doing something right as well.

Was looking the X-Speed site, they honestly do look like a bloddy good shop :) but for 12 grand for a rebuild *ponders*

Looked at the BPT site and they havent mentioned anything about snort kits etc - might have to ring them to find out if they would do it.

Found a tutorial for putting it all together :) Looks easy enough. Girlfriends dad welds good (works at water corp) so I shall be talking to him.

Engine is currently been rebuild at Hi-Tech Cylinder Heads. Good people to deal with however the shop is quite small so it takes a long time to get anything done :(

Turbo will be on within 6 months but I wont be able to run a high figure as the gearbox will most likely go BOOM !
G-Force do internals (though they are in the US ... )

On a brighter note the company I work for just signed up with a gearbox company (mainly into industial)
Will keep you posted on the outcome of that

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2