Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BOOST SOLENOID MAINTENANCE - BA/BF TURBO'S
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Howdy,

FNP actually recommended that I do this simple little thing and, be stuffed, it works! Big thanks to FNP for the hot tip.

I had the car in for a service today and got the dealer to lube the boost solenoid and bugger me! It certainly makes a difference!

Boost comes on harder and stronger and the whole car feels fantastic! Definantly recommend this at service time or for anyone who can do it at home.

Here is the link;

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index ... ntry526483

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Link doesn't work :twisted:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My bad.

Try this one;

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index ... t+solenoid

If that doesn't work, just go to; www.fordxr6turbo.com and search for "boost solenoid maintenance"

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB Fairmont

SA, Australia

Both links work, you just gotta be a member to view them.

Doin it for Scotty.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I am writing this to let members know about a very common problem that affects the Turbo Falcons. The electronic boost solenoid gets sticky after about 10,000km.
I did this maintenance on my car last Saturday night after reading about it on another forum. My car felt sluggish going onto boost. While the car still pulled like a freight train, it did not come onto power like it used to, so I thought I would try out the procedure. The difference was noticeable on the Bathurst Christmas cruise as the boost came on like it used to without the lag that I was experiencing before the maintenance.

Now I have tried to write this for anyone with the right tools and a very basic mechanical knowledge. If you do not feel at ease under the bonnet, you may be best to get your friendly mechanic or mate to do it.

Firstly the parts:
Can of WD40 or similar (I used Nulon spray)
10 and 12mm spanner
Long nose pliers
10 minutes of your time.

Now this work can be done with the battery installed, but is easiest if the battery is removed.

1. Open the bonnet and locate the battery and remove it using the 12mm spanner, removing both terminals and then the battery clamp.
The arrow is pointing to where the boost solenoid is located

2. With the battery removed, locate the boost solenoid pic has a circle around it

3. You can either grab the hose with the long nose pliers or undo the 10mm bolt to make removing the hose easier.

Once you have removed the solenoid, remove the top black hose adjacent to the plug with the long nose pliers. It is important that you do this carefully and pull the hose straight off, do not wiggle it off or you could break the plastic tube.
The hose can be grabbed above the metal clamp and pulled straight off with a little force.
Once the hose is removed, spray a liberal amount of lubricant (WD40) into the plastic tube and also up the rubber hose.
Reverse the whole procedure and go for a drive. You should notice a significant improvement in the way your car comes on boost.
This should be done every 10,000km for optimal results

No pics available (can't be stuffed wacking them up), but this mod is worth doing.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

please explain what a boost solenoid is

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Its a solenoid that goes into the line from the turbo wastegate actuator to the inlet manifold (or compressor housing on cars such as stock VL turbo's). By opening and closing very quickly it regulates the amount of boost the turbo makes.

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Its a solenoid that goes into the line from the turbo wastegate actuator to the inlet manifold (or compressor housing on cars such as stock VL turbo's). By opening and closing very quickly it regulates the amount of boost the turbo makes.

So pretty much an electronic boost controller (by boost controller I'm thinking of those Turbosmart type aftermarket ones with the knob on them that you wind up/down to alter the boost signal going to the wastegate)?

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 221 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I was guna have a look at doing this today or just checking it out but its bloody raining.

Is anyone guna do a doco on doing it???

I cant join up as a memember on that XR6Turbo website cos you cant use a free email address does anyone know away around this???

Griffo

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

griffo161 wrote:
I was guna have a look at doing this today or just checking it out but its bloody raining.

I cant join up as a memember on that XR6Turbo website cos you cant use a free email address does anyone know away around this???

Griffo

If your not going to be squeezer, you can use my account.

I don't really like the site that much. Too much bulldust on there and the site is a mongrel to navigate. Saying that though, there is some awesome info if you are willing to cipher through the dust to find it. :D

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 221 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Yea i was trying to go through as much of it as i could. It seems really s**t laid out. I actually think fordmods is one of the best sites out there, easy to navigate around it.

Is it actually any good of a site apart from just the good info you can get off it?

Griffo

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

brother did it this morning and says it made a very noticable difference.

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

So pretty much an electronic boost controller (by boost controller I'm thinking of those Turbosmart type aftermarket ones with the knob on them that you wind up/down to alter the boost signal going to the wastegate)?

Yes. The old school boost controllers like the turbosmart you mention were not electronic. They are just a simple tap, my brother has a ball valve in his and it does the same job but is pretty touchy in adjustment. The solenoid is just a current version of the tap. It just opens and shuts (no in between) and the boost controller simply controls how fast the solenoid opens and shuts.

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
brother did it this morning and says it made a very noticable difference.

It's a top mod for the Turbs hey? :D

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

downingj wrote:
griffo161 wrote:

Griffo

I don't really like the site that much. Too much bulldust on there and the site is a mongrel to navigate. Saying that though, there is some awesome info if you are willing to cipher through the dust to find it. :D

my thoughts exactly!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next