boosting 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: boosting
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2001 au2 sr wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey Guys and girls

ive got me old EL XR6 and im think of giving her more ummf, by boosting her, but as i have very little knowledge about performance or turbo's i would like some help. im plaining on still using it as a daily so i want something reliable and would like about 200 rwk :) and maybe more down the track :D so i was hoping that people could point me in the right directing (not the left :P) with all the information that im would need.

thanks greatly baya

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

There are a few topics on this already (see above this thread).

Most will give you an idea on cost, difficulty and the sort of results you can get.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6, Blueprint, Turbo

VIC, Australia

For it to be reliable, is say atleast $5000 if you want all new items that are good brands, and alot of ebay searching. And can do most of the work yourself.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2001 au2 sr wagon

VIC, Australia

el_xr6_luke wrote:
For it to be reliable, is say atleast $5000 if you want all new items that are good brands, and alot of ebay searching. And can do most of the work yourself.

thats the plan just gotta look at it all the turbo setup and the extra wear on the car so ill fix the other things then get the turbo setup, i dont know what stock internals can take ? as my post said i want 200 at the rears with the ability to do more and keep it as a daily. :) still researching it all.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Can i ask what is the fastest car you have driven before, as 200kw at the rears is huge, 170ish is plenty. If i was near by i would take you for a ride in mine, do you ever come upto Bendigo / Castlemaine area?

170kw's in mine lets me do all the burnouts and boosted take off's i want.
Its seriously heaps of power, to get it to 200rwkw's will take another few thousand dollars.

Starting with a manual transmission, management system and a tune = big dollars!
Maybe its a better idea to buy a car off someone who has spent alot on it and treated it well, its alot less work and heartache (if you get it checked out by a mechanic that knows his boost)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:

170kw's in mine lets me do all the burnouts and boosted take off's i want.
Its seriously heaps of power, to get it to 200rwkw's will take another few thousand dollars.

Thats your own fault for getting a supercharged one :P

A turbo will go from 170-200 with a $50 boost controller.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

200rwkw isn't that much.. and no matter how much power you have, you'll get used to it and bored six months down the track unless you have a Veyron or something.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

fnp wrote:
200rwkw isn't that much.. and no matter how much power you have, you'll get used to it and bored six months down the track unless you have a Veyron or something.

lol man u hav know idea!!!!!!!!!!!
u couldent use 200 rwkw to it full potentiol......... :lol: :lol:

El Futura
Pacemaker extractors, hiflow cat, 2.5 cat back, DBA slotted rotors, K&N, dev 5 head and cam, 75 shot noss, 20's.ba Detroit locker. 3.9 gears, CAI and outher stuff.....

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

my el project wrote:
fnp wrote:

lol, mines has 300rwkw. Heaps of XR6T's run around with a simular power output and quite a few have significantly more.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

200rwkw was pretty good to have 3 years ago but now its a bit average.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

my el project wrote:
fnp wrote:

hahahah you have to be kidding !!!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

300rwkw is actually becoming avarage imo, capa offer a 305rwkw vortech package for the BA-BF for only $5,690 wich includes everything including the flash tuner & dyno runs. bolt on an intercooler and the figure rises 40kw.

its great for the stip with a saftey cage and belts but totaly unnecessary on the road. even the new FG falcons reach these figures, almost 200kw for the base model and 300kw for the FPV, it would be good if they increased the strength of the cabin to match the power but its not going to happen.. the new falcons reportedly weigh less than the current commodores which cant even support the weight of the car on its roof let alone a side impact.

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Capa quote fly wheel figures..
300 rwkw with good tyres and trans ..Is very capable with sensable driving.. If you drive like an inmature wanker you'll run into problems.. But thats the same with any performance vehicle....Respect its power / torque..
Right now we are fitting a tuff as nails Dominello C4 behind a turbo AU engine in E.D Fairmont...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

lol seriously, i think thats why most v6 commo drivers are so reckless on the road, they feel the short stroke "power" and allways try to push it, but when you have the power on tap it demands respect. you dont need to push it cos "it pulls you", lol. the first time went from 110kw to 250+kw i noticed my driving habbits changed dramaticly, allways kept to 60 around the suburbs (south melbourne), i let other drivers have their little power fix getting in front. the rear view mirror pointed to the roof.. all i wanted to do was cruise. i wasnt game to open it up on the street.

all im chasing now is reliable hp for the track with good fuel economy on the street, built ford tough. :wink:

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'd agree with 300rwkw becoming average. It seems especially half the XR6T's on the road have 300rwkw and we forget just how big a number that is and the torque that goes with it.

Ten years ago 300rwkw from off the shelf bolt ons affordable to anyone with a few grand to spare was unthinkable.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]