Fordmods Logo

breaking down 4ltr turbo. 

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: breaking down 4ltr turbo.
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

howdy guys finaly got me car running, and took it to adelaide the other day too get dynod, but it was breaking down real bad, gets to about 3500 -4000 revs and and starts breaking down, im running a brand new ignition setup dissy, leads coil etc with a msd ignition box, checked all the wiring every thing seems, the dyno bloke told me its the valve springs, so when i got back i took off the race springs from my good motor (which is waiting to go in) put them on and still doing the same thing, its a el 4ltr, garret 35/40, 65lbs injectors, tial wastegate, ems 8860, msd ignition with single coil setup, on the data read out from the dyno the chart showed no hesitaten or ups and downs anywere, any ideas would be great cheers.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

What have you gapped the plugs to?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Private9 wrote:
What have you gapped the plugs to?

are not sure the dyno bloke regapped them, its similar to a rev limiter but its not?, the only other thing i havent tried is maybe the cam is a little to big its only a camtech stage 3 cam, but maybe theres a little bit to much lift not sure

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el ghia

WA, Australia

Might sound stupid but is your cat blocked?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

lowghia wrote:
Might sound stupid but is your cat blocked?

nah its in me race car no mufflers, i can only think of two things 1 cam too big , but its only a cam tech stage 3 cam, i would of thought that would be ok to run
2 im running 65lb low independence injectors, but running them in bank fire 3 injectors too one driver, but on the dyno, there was no hesitation or ups and downs in the fuel trim till it broke down fuel afr were fine.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

the cam is fine,

it will be a ignition problem

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

Why arent you running sequential ignition??? Make sure the Ford TFI isnt connected at all....This was the cause of my breaking down issue. Have a read through my old thread......

Sounds like your dyno guy is an idiot.........

Cheers

:D Daz :D

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

DA22LE wrote:
Hey,

Why arent you running sequential ignition??? Make sure the Ford TFI isnt connected at all....This was the cause of my breaking down issue. Have a read through my old thread......

Sounds like your dyno guy is an idiot.........

Cheers

:D Daz :D

whats the tfi sorry? is that the bit on the side of the dissy.
first thing you think of when you hear it is electrical problem, ive fitted brand new dissy, cap, leads, plugs, msd 6al, it revs fine up untill about 3800 - 4000 revs then breaks down i guess thats about were its making its peak boost (only running 7 psi), checked all my earths etc. its even worse when you try drive the car soon as its under load wont even get over the 4000 revs, i all so notice its popen through the inlet side too when it happens.

Last edited by boosted22 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: dissy.
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

i have wired the dissy so that i have only one wire from the dissy going back to the ecu, then the pink wire from the ecu to the msd 6al, and from the msd to the coil, and the power wire from the dissy to ignition, the other few wires on the dissy are not conected. and was told i dont need a ems 1 coil driver this way, if any of this makes sense.

Post subject: Re: dissy.
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

boosted22 wrote:
i have wired the dissy so that i have only one wire from the dissy going back to the ecu, then the pink wire from the ecu to the msd 6al, and from the msd to the coil, and the power wire from the dissy to ignition, the other few wires on the dissy are not conected. and was told i dont need a ems 1 coil driver this way, if any of this makes sense.

Sounds pretty much the same way mine is connected, but i am using the EMS 1 coil ignitor. Did the engine ping on the dyno at all while tuning?? NO?? this is because the ems cant control the spark properly. You definately need an ignitor..........

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

my turbo was breaking down at about 3200. people told me she was starving for fuel. i gapped the plugs to 0.8mm and she sails to 5400 at 14psi...........perfect

if the bar aint bendin your just pretendin

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

had the same thing happen to mine.. re-gaped the plugs to 0.8mm, solved my problem..

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Post subject: Re: dissy.
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB turbo

Power: 276 rwkw

SA, Australia

DA22LE wrote:
boosted22 wrote:

Sounds pretty much the same way mine is connected, but i am using the EMS 1 coil ignitor. Did the engine ping on the dyno at all while tuning?? NO?? this is because the ems cant control the spark properly. You definately need an ignitor..........

Cheers

Daz

Hey is it possible for someone to make a diagram or take a pick of how to do this. Im geting close to finnishing mine now and if this is going to be a problem for me also id like to nip it in the butt before it is tuned. I am using EMS also. I was under the impression you didn't need an igniter with the tfi. :( Looks like it needs to be done though. Also is the msd a requirement if done this way, or just a luxury. Sory to hijack the post but still learning as i go, its all very interesting. Cheers

EB 2,T5, snort kit, 3 inch, 044, turbosmart reg, LC1, 46lb, crow cam, EMS stinger
Now with 275.7 rwkw @13 psi

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Definitely gap the plugs to 0.8 but what heat range are you using? Ive found BPR7ES or BCP7ES are the best (for my setup).
I had a problem with breaking down too, changed the plugs (to the above) made it a bit better. I am also running A msd, I had the blaster 2 coil, it wasn't very suitable upgraded to the fire control c4 was a little better but i surprisingly eliminated it with the standard coil! (all the above was hooked up too the msd).
It might sound stupid but is your standard ecu still controlling anything? My ecu (standard xr) was cutting out at 10psi as it was getting a bad signal from the stock map sensor. so i just put a one way valve in so it only gets vacume and no boost. i know you said it was only getting 7psi but it might help?

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Okay I have just gone through this, you have the same symptoms also and what you have said youhave done seems to indicate it s the same.

I used the original Dizzy with the TFI module and hooked up a Crane Hi6 Fireball ignition, but heres the cruncher, the dizzy through the TFI module puts out a Base TIMING signal that then goes to the ECU, an output signal called "Spark out" or "Spout" for short returns from the ECU to the TFI module then to the ignition coil. this is a triggered negative to the coil., the other side of the coil is held positive.

Your spark breakdown is due to the ignition timing no having any advance like it is only 10 degrees and not rising to say 22 degrees or 30 degrees.
I found this out because the dope who installed my ECU interceptor tapped into the TFI out signal similar thing.
I hope this answers your problem

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next