Fordmods Logo

charging up 

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: charging up
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EB GLI

VIC, Australia

Wont get much change out of $4000. If it fails the test you have to pay again.

EBT-747 -

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

f**k that, glad I dont live down there

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

$4000????? you could turbo the car twice when you calculate how much it would cost you to set it all up then get it engneered cost ya an arm and a leg.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

NSW, Australia

wild-el wrote:
$4000????? you could turbo the car twice when you calculate how much it would cost you to set it all up then get it engneered cost ya an arm and a leg.

heard a story today stock au with big turbo strapped to the side ALL stock internals running full boost and a 100 shot of NOS engine lasted 5000k only el cheapo wreckers engines used WHY NOT

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

tickfordte wrote:
hey guys
im after some help
im leaning to supercharging my au2 xr6 vct with a raptor kit
but im worried about legalities in vic regarding engerneers certificartes and adr aproval
anyone shine some light on this matter??

cheers
Stell

Go and talk to a few engineers. Some will scare you off quoting thousands of $$ for emissions tests, other's will tell the full story, which is that *IF* you retain the stock ecu you don't need an emissions test, as the car can be found to be still complying with the relevant adr in regards to emissions, as the ecu is FACTORY FIT.

This was found after consulting a number of engineers about my mighty boy's engine swap & in the works turbo setup, as well as asking about turbocharging my EB Ghia.

Yes this will limit boost & fun, but you can get it engineered & be legally allowed to drive it on a public road as well as retain your insurance, including the TAC insurance you pay as part of your rego! People have shown good results with the stock ecu & low boost.

Otherwise, an aftermarket ecu & a big power setup will cost a lot of money, require emissions testing & might fail. Depends on what you want & what you can afford!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au2 xr6 te cortina

VIC, Australia

like i said
thanks guys,
im gonna call some tomorow localy and see the out come

guess i shuld sell my cars and a kideny and get an fg gt s/charged

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Be sure to let us all know how you go. That way the VIC members have something to go off if they choose to pursue this option.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Be sure to let us all know how you go. That way the VIC members have something to go off if they choose to pursue this option.

A good idea.

There is one Engineer up Bendigo way that is reasonable to deal with. Can be found in the yellow pages.

Forget the guy in Melton, he is as arrogant as they come (if he is still in the game, vic roads has him listed as being in the game still, but that list is way out of date!). Yes, I have used him once & never again!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i called some around bayswater and they dont want to know me unless they epa check it and call the supplyer for a chat, what for i dont know.

also the bad thing would be if i get one and they knock nack the bracket or someting.

no luck as yet

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i called some around bayswater and they dont want to know me unless they epa check it and call the supplyer for a chat, what for i dont know.

also the bad thing would be if i get one and they knock nack the bracket or someting.

no luck as yet

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Did you explain to them that you were planning on running the standard ecu?

There are two types of engineer out there. Ones that follow the letter of the law and others that follow the spirit of the law. The ones that follow the letter of the law will pass a stock ecu without an epa test because its factory fitment and the car was epa certified with it in place from the factory. The guys that follow the spirit of the law know that stock ecu's can be J3 chipped, flashed, or modified in various ways and they also know that even with a "stock" ecu you can still be ordered in for an epa test on suspicion. Therefore they don't want their name associated with any of those shennanigans so they refuse to touch it unless the epa approves of it before they put pen to paper.

As for which engineer is the prefered choice well it depends on how wild you want to go with your motor. The hard markers are always prefered but there's only so many things you can do before an engineered car is simply not viable and you take a gamble.

My advice, find a guy that's hard but fair. Not a tosspot with his head up his a*** and won't pass the car without even taking the time to listen to what you've got planned, and not a loose goose guy that passes cars sight unseen.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Did you explain that it still retains the stock ECU, no EPA test required as it complied when it was built & tested by FORD?

Xcabbi is spot on the money with his post. Keep calling around, but make sure you stress that you are working with the stock ecu, which is already EPA complied. Should get some better discussion going then.

You should consider talking with this dude, details pulled from the internet. That's who I've been speaking with about my projects. Yes it's a ways from home. There's also a guy around the Geelong way that has a good rep for being hard but fair, research him.

BENDIGO
Peter Holden (VASS No. 1014)
Matward Engineering
144 Strickland Rd
03 5443 8459
p.holden@impulse.net.au

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I was about to ask if the stock ECU with a J3 in it is still classed as a "stock" CPU?

Then I realised that all the people out there selling tunes for BA/BF/FG's would be making cars illegal, so J3 could hardly be any less legal in that regard.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

any aftermarket ecu, j3 ecu or flash tuned car is considered illegal as far as emissions are concerned..
unless the car has been re tested and passed...

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That's why you just "shut the f**k up" about J3's and what not. Any questions asked, simply say Its a stock ECU and you don't know what a J3 chip is. What's he going to do, order you pull your ECU apart in the hope of finding a J3?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next