Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: charging up
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

TROYMAN wrote:
tickfordte wrote:
had a bit of a brain wave whilst speaking to a panle beater mate of mine.

what does the enginere check exactly?
the strenght of the blower bracket??

if its just got to do with power upgrades then a cai and exhaust are power upgrages, so are haed swaps and cams, shuld they be checked?

also ive put in much better brakes (crossdrilled and slotted with ultimate pads)
and the sussy has been played with (pedders springs, koni adj shocks and whileline adj sway bars)
shuld these also be checked out as beeing modifications and upgrades??

when my ed was engineered when it was supercharged, he checked the blower was mounted saftely, he checked and required the blowoff valve was plumbed back, the pod filter had to be semi enclosed, the car had to have the factory ecu with all factory sensors, purge caniser ect, otherwise an emission test would have been needed.
he checked ride height and checked that the suspension had proper lowered springs, checked wheel track and noted that it had 18" wheels, measured ride height and required me to raise the car to a legal height, he did a noise test which required it to be 90db or lower at 3200rpm. required me to have a new cat, checked and measured that my bonnet bulge was structurly sound and didnt obstruct the view from the cabin, noted that the car was fitted with an aftermarket steering wheel and was over the minimum size, and did a general stopping test..

so basically the car had to be legal enough to adhere to the adr's for the car plus any modifications were done correctly and didnt effect the safety of the car..

what did all that cost troyman ?
just want a rough estimate

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:24 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
tickfordte wrote:

if its just got to do with power upgrades then a cai and exhaust are power upgrages, so are haed swaps and cams, shuld they be checked?

also ive put in much better brakes (crossdrilled and slotted with ultimate pads)
and the sussy has been played with (pedders springs, koni adj shocks and whileline adj sway bars)

when my ed was engineered when it was supercharged, he checked the blower was mounted saftely, he checked and required the blowoff valve was plumbed back, the pod filter had to be semi enclosed, the car had to have the factory ecu with all factory sensors, purge caniser ect, otherwise an emission test would have been needed.
he checked ride height and checked that the suspension had proper lowered springs, checked wheel track and noted that it had 18" wheels, measured ride height and required me to raise the car to a legal height, he did a noise test which required it to be 90db or lower at 3200rpm. required me to have a new cat, checked and measured that my bonnet bulge was structurly sound and didnt obstruct the view from the cabin, noted that the car was fitted with an aftermarket steering wheel and was over the minimum size, and did a general stopping test..

so basically the car had to be legal enough to adhere to the adr's for the car plus any modifications were done correctly and didnt effect the safety of the car..

with the few things i had to fix, like raise the car, fit another muffler ect. it was just over $1100 the engineer report itself was about $800..

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TROYMAN wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
tickfordte wrote:

with the few things i had to fix, like raise the car, fit another muffler ect. it was just over $1100 the engineer report itself was about $800..

ok thats good i was thinking it was going to be roughly $1-3K thats alot better that makes me feel alot better

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Where are you located Fordsrule? NSW, or Vic/elsewhere. A stock coyote shouldn't need emissions testing but if you get an N/A crate engine from the states and whack our blower on it then you will most definitely need the couple of grand for emissions testing in VIC.

Bear in mind that since your porject is more intense you may reqiure consultation with the engineer prior to starting the project and he may want to inspect the car at various stages of its build. Time is money, and in the engineering industry money starts at around 100-150/hr (can go up to $300/hr+ if you employ the services of a company). So if you want to minimise costs you better get your s**t together before you make the call.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xcabbi wrote:
Where are you located Fordsrule? NSW, or Vic/elsewhere. A stock coyote shouldn't need emissions testing but if you get an N/A crate engine from the states and whack our blower on it then you will most definitely need the couple of grand for emissions testing in VIC.

Bear in mind that since your porject is more intense you may reqiure consultation with the engineer prior to starting the project and he may want to inspect the car at various stages of its build. Time is money, and in the engineering industry money starts at around 100-150/hr (can go up to $300/hr+ if you employ the services of a company). So if you want to minimise costs you better get your s**t together before you make the call.

i live in NSW if i went with the coyote i dont think it would be supercharged as a NA motor the coyote does 400BHP (my min goal HP) so id be happy with that

if i supercharged the 4.0L its getting forged internals and the works
so the math is pretty simple for it
$4500 (blower)
$2500 (forged and all internals bearings etc plenty of extra to cover extras i dont know might need replacing)
$2500 for head and cam
$250-$500 to get it all balanced
$1500 (over estimated costs of engineering)
plus whatever the costs of a T56
($200) for the J3
($500) for tuning

so im looking at roughly $11750 at max plus the costs of the T56 for the I6 idea but ive been told the coyote crate engine sets ya back $10,000 in AUD once it here and you still gotta pay like $2000 more for its wiring harness plus all the costs of engineering and the T56

so the supercharged I6 maybe the way to go and it would prob do better on fuel as the coyote achieves roughly 14L/100km in city my I6 currently does better than that with all its old worn out gear

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

tickfordte -> I think you need to go read over the modifications rules that each state provides on their roads authority site, there are upgrades that don't require engineering and some that do. Each state varies.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
tickfordte -> I think you need to go read over the modifications rules that each state provides on their roads authority site, there are upgrades that don't require engineering and some that do. Each state varies.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

This. My Brothers Rotrex blown AU Ute is getting tuned Thursday, then off to Mercury to be Mod Plated Thursday arvo. $80 for a legal S/C 6 in QLD FTMFW!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's dirt cheap. I paid around $500 for my mighty boy to be engineered for the engine swap, probably spend up to $1k on the turbo & efi conversion, as well as seats, rims, steering wheel & so on..... Worth it in the end to be legal!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au2 xr6 te cortina

VIC, Australia

where did u go for that in vic toranaguy?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickfordte wrote:
where did u go for that in vic toranaguy?

A guy in Melton. Don't go to him, he is very "unpleasant" to deal with.

New engineering report being done by a different mob, when I get the last few bits done.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

If anyone deals with a good one in Perth, I'd love to hear about it.

I can use my contacts in the engineering depts here at the uni to get the job up to standard, but will still need an experienced vehicular engineer to sign off on it, and in Perth (being the as$ end of Australia) is nearly always more expensive.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au2 xr6 te cortina

VIC, Australia

I spoke to capa and another loxal eng called archie robertson today....
Good news!
Capa kits dont need emissions testing as they are ok. check website
eng said he will pass a capa kit with upgraded brakes and a capa only chip/ecu
also after that is all installed he wants to look it over and no emissions
needed on stock or capa ecu

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4