Coil Packs For Turbo Application 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Coil Packs For Turbo Application
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: ED fairmont turbo

QLD, Australia

JUst had my car on the dyno and was having some problems with the ignition and the guy said i need to get coil packs instead of using just the 1 coil, i currently have a pro-comp CDI with a pro-comp coil. Any suggestions

ED Fairmont: Master Power GT45, race spec T5, Wolf v4, 870cc Injectors, EF bottom end, EF Head, Surcam custom Grind Cam, Crane LX92 Coil

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

OH and i was thinking i could use some ef coil packs i have lying around but unsure about there ability to perform and work with wolf ecu

ED Fairmont: Master Power GT45, race spec T5, Wolf v4, 870cc Injectors, EF bottom end, EF Head, Surcam custom Grind Cam, Crane LX92 Coil

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

get some new plugs and leads, and close the spark gap to 0.7 - 0.8mm.

u would need to rewire the ignition system and switch to the ef or au crank and cam angle setup, if u wanted to run coil packs

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Depending what ECU you have? Your ecu should have atleast 6 ignition drivers so your fine..
You also need crank & cam angle sensor ..
From latter model engine, could use cop als so .. Coil on plug...
BUT as said above close plug gap down alittle..
Can go as close as .030... Mind you ?? You shouldn't have to..
Spark is more acurate with crank sensor etc over dissy..
Esp when pushing decent power !! ..2 or 3* can make alot of difference..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

i currently am using a wolf v4

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

http://wolfems.cart.net.au/cat/3760.html

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6 (Formally PYROAY)

WA, Australia

Alot of ur problem could be the "Pro comp" gear.... A change to MSD or Crane wold be a huge improvement..

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

yes very good suggestion, i am currently looing at changing to the crane ignition setup

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

IMPRTETA wrote:
Alot of ur problem could be the "Pro comp" gear.... A change to MSD or Crane wold be a huge improvement..

i agree with that.

we had a WB ute (308) at work that had pro comp dizzy, coil and CDI.

ran like s**t, would detonate at high rpm and had this miss fire at about 3000rpm.

put a nardek brand stock replacment electric dizzy and a blaster2 coil it.
magicly witht e same base timing of 12deg that miss fire was gone and detonation stopped

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:13 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

If you are going to use a single coil then CDI or you can even use a step up transformer and put 20 volts thru the primary side of the coil on the existing inductive setup. I have used this with success but not yet on a turbo, but it will sure help.

The ultimate is multicoil inductive IMO but you need to know how to set it up properly.

CDI is easy to setup and you cant go wrong but it does compromise the spark. I wont use CDI in any of my street engines anymore after looking into it in more detail.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
I wont use CDI in any of my street engines anymore after looking into it in more detail.

PLEASE EXPLAIN??

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I just read that line and I want a please explain too. Theres no turning back now turbotrana.

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:37 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

In the past the most common setup was one coil per engine. With a single coil inductive setup there is not alot of time to saturate the coil for a full charge. You really gotta know your coils, setting dwell time to get a single coil to work otherwise the ignition breaks down under boost/load.

But instead of mucking around with coils and dwell time which requires a bit of knowhow, a good cheap and easy solution is the CDI. Just plug it in and it will fire these high RPM mixtures. And its fine for a race engine and it was really the only thing around in the good old days that seemed to work, especially when we were dealling with "contact points" which you couldnt really do much with . Now we have way better electronics to take advantage of inductive setups.

But then for a street car you want good economy/drivabilty at low revs. This is where a CDI does not perform very well when compared to a good inductive setup. A good inductive setup can OPEN that tuning window heaps where it will basically burn any mixture (with in reason) that you throw at it. A CDI will simply not run with these lean mixtures. Not all sparks are the same. You need a long inductive spark with AMPS, not voltage for nice drivabilty/economy and easy tuning.

Now what about performance. ICE ignition do performance single coil inductive setups and basically what they are doing is increasing the voltage to the primary side of the coil via a step up transformer .

So I have been running 20 volts to the coil (via a MSD voltage booster)and it makes HEAPS of difference. But you gotta know what coil to use and what dwell to set coil saturation. I am using an old Jacobs Ultra coil.

The other option is multi coil which allows plenty of time for coil saturation.

When people say they made more power with CDI, its cause their inductive setup was not the best. But they could have made the same power with a good inductive setup and improve drivabilty economy.

I am running 16:1 airfuel ratio on cruise/light acceleration and even WOT at high revs. Could never do this with CDI. I also run AU injectors which help heaps with better atomisation when compared to the old pintle.

Dont beleive the term "once its lit, its lit" Not totally true. Spark enery makes heaps of diff. You want spark with AMPs, not voltage.

There is heaps of info on the net to back my view up.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

good info there turbo trana, thanks

my el runs around 16:1 at cruise with no problems, and that's with crane hi-6 and 83lb injectors.

im still a bit undecided on what ignition system i will use on my new motor. it will defiantly be multi coil.

if i can get a autronic 500r cdi for the right price i will run that along with 6x mercury coils.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have wasted spark M&W coils and runing out of spark.. Plug gap is down to .020 to make 482 rwkw.. At 11.7 fuel ratio..
COP won't give me any better ignition.. I was going to fit M&W system ??
http://www.mwignitions.com/

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next