Fordmods Logo

Custom twin throttle body ...a worthwhile mod on a N/A I6? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Custom twin throttle body ...a worthwhile mod on a N/A I6?
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Hey guys,

I've got the JMM Dev 5 upgrade in my EL XR6, with JMM headers & zorst, and the JMM ultra-intake ...which is essentially an SS Inductions snorkel going the the standard airbox fitted with a K&N filter, then 3" mandrel bend pipe to the TB.

My question is ...WOULD I BENEFIT FROM A CUSTOM TWIN THROTTLE BODY SET-UP?

i.e. Single pipe coming from the airbox that then branches into 2 mechanically-linked TB's mounted in a custom intake manifold.

It's just that we have a couple of cars here (SVO XR6 to name one) that have a custom twin throttle body set-up ...and everyone seems to rave about how much difference they make in power etc.

How does a twin throttle body improve performance? More importantly ...is it a worthwhile mod option for my car, or am I just going to waste my money for little or no gain?

Forgot to mention, I'm soon going to be shelling out for the BPT / SCT custom flash & dyno tune (Eliminator chip) ...so if the twin throttle body IS worthwhile, should I hold off on the tune until the twin TB is fitted?

Any advice / opinions would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I would say yes you will, SVO XR6 seemed to make good power with it for a NA 6

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

id say u will make more power as well but hold off on the tune until after the twin throts

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

Im pretty sure johno had a thread on his installation - and also differences to tuning. He pretty much tuned it all himself on the street and then got it tidied up a bit on the dyno.

You will probably need a decent cam and ported heads to take full advantage of twins though.

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

KTASTRPHE wrote:
Im pretty sure johno had a thread on his installation - and also differences to tuning. He pretty much tuned it all himself on the street and then got it tidied up a bit on the dyno.

You will probably need a decent cam and ported heads to take full advantage of twins though.

Any links to his install?

Yeah, I got the JMM DEV 5 (big cam, race ported heads, rebuilt internals) so sounds like twin TB could be the go! :wink:

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:22 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

got lots of $$$? you'll need to get a full aftermarket ECU to make it work to its full potential as well

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

And I see big kev is selling a brand new Wolf3d ;)

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

im guessing you would see very little gains for the cost... the 4l has a very large throttle body vs engine capacity std.

and how would the maniold be designed?? which way would you point the throttles? and how do you plan on connecting the intake pipes?? i think it would be a pain in the a*** for minimal gains, better off just getting the nizpro plenum top with forwards mounted throttle and using that...

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

MooseMan wrote:
And I see big kev is selling a brand new Wolf3d ;)

hehe sure do :) killer kit..and never been touched.

Mark ... I dunno exactly how much extra perfoamnce you will see on paper but certainly you will see more mid to upper range torque.....talk to the RPD boys..Jaysen and mitchg911..since he fabricated one. See what they reckon

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ebs_4l wrote:
im guessing you would see very little gains for the cost... the 4l has a very large throttle body vs engine capacity std.

and how would the maniold be designed?? which way would you point the throttles? and how do you plan on connecting the intake pipes?? i think it would be a pain in the a*** for minimal gains, better off just getting the nizpro plenum top with forwards mounted throttle and using that...

Designed like pics below...

And Fraser ...why would I need an aftermarket ECU if BPT can reflash & dyno tune my stock ECU?

BPT have already confirmed they can tune for Turbo set-ups ...so why not an N/A with twin TB?

Attachments:
Twin TB 3.jpg
Twin TB 3.jpg [ 88.04 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]
Twin TB 2.jpg
Twin TB 2.jpg [ 26.96 KiB | Viewed 270 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]