Fordmods Logo

DIY Powerdyne Rebuild 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: DIY Powerdyne Rebuild
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

what i can see the 2.5" 63mm would more than likely be there 9 psi rated pulley?

im only comparing this to the raptor pulley size which is the same type of pulley..
the raptor 62mm is a 9-10psi pulley made about 8 psi on mine, the 59mm is there 12psi pulley which makes about 10 psi on mine..

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

The Raptor is a different blower, with slightly different gear ratio, different impeller, scroll, efficiency curve etc. You can't really compare pulley sizes on different blowers...

The BD-11A step-up ratio is 1:3.05. The XB-11A (gear driven) is 1:3.44. Raptor-V is 1:3.00.

http://www.928motorsports.com/services/ ... ulley.html

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:24 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

thanks for that link.. good info!

i previously calculated that my raptor impeller is spinning up to 50,017rpm...@ 5800 engine rpm..

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:38 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Yup, it's pretty fun to drive :D

The difference in boost levels has been explained to me like this. Unlike a Turbo, which regulates turbine speed to achieve a desired boost level, a blower produces a fixed amount of air for the input shaft speed. Depending on how well an engine breathes (i.e. exhaust, head/camshaft, intake), it will take a different amount of air to present the same restriction at the intake. This is why you will find a modified engine with a supercharger will produce a lower boost level with the same sized pulley compared to a stock engine but make more power.

I think the pulley I have would be good for 7-ish psi on a stock engine.

galapogos01 wrote:
The Raptor is a different blower, with slightly different gear ratio, different impeller, scroll, efficiency curve etc. You can't really compare pulley sizes on different blowers...

The BD-11A step-up ratio is 1:3.05. The XB-11A (gear driven) is 1:3.44. Raptor-V is 1:3.00.

http://www.928motorsports.com/services/ ... ulley.html

I've read that 928 link before and forgotten about it....very educational! That explains a lot. My engine used to make approx. 9psi on the boost guage. I've now got a less restrictive intake, and have had minor headwork done, and it seems to only make 7psi, despite the impeller upgrade. Hopefully this is increased engine efficiency!

My car is being worked on right now to try to sort some of the issues I've had. Mechanic this morning has decided to fit the 36lb injectors I purchased, and upgrade the in-tank fuel pump, as it seems to sometimes be running out of fuel up top on the dyno. He's checked everything else - new VCT solenoid (operation is good), bbm operation, camshaft position, etc, so it seems that mechanical side of engine can be removed as a variable. I'm really hoping it just needs more fuel!

Will update once I have some futher results. Hopefully some other powerdyne owners will post their specs on this list too..

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Update on my powerdyne setup:

Engine - AUIII I6 (VCT)
Transmission - T5 Manual
BOV - Bosch (standard plastic one fitted to heaps of OEM turbo vehicles)
Pulley Size - 9psi from CAPA (sorry, not sure in inches),
Km since rebuild - 45000kms (rebuilt on 8/5/08 - driven daily since)
Blower Upgrades - 928 motorsort impeller, raptor ceramic bearing and high strength belt.
Camshaft - Standard VCT
Power - 294 rwhp@5000rpm (approx. 220rwkw).

It's now intercooled as well.

Cheers,
Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just a small update on shimming the impeller as I finally pulled the blower off the car.

The impeller shaft OD is 10.2mm or 0.4in. This guide http://www.928motorsports.com/pdf/Impel ... imming.pdf recommends shimming to 0.15mm (0.006in). I had approx 1.2mm clearance before and shimmed it to around 0.25mm. Doing this gave around 1psi more boost at the same RPM. The blower whistles less after shimming too (you can still hear the belt of course).

As per other threads on Boosted i've since ran 207rwkw & an 13.85 sec 100mph ET on this blower at 6psi (prior to shimming).

Cheers,
Jason

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Minor update;

I bought another blower kit (for another car) and needed to rebuild it also, so I needed some more shims. Found these:

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/part ... /1/10.300/

which seem like they'll work. See how we go once they arrive! I also have 2 CNC impellers on the way from http://superchargerrebuilds.com too.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the impellers. I found it made a massive difference to low/mid range boost development and power on mine...probably had the best effect on driving (other than intercooler) out of all the modifications to my car. Joe

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Initial impressions arent that great. I went from a tightly shimmed stock impeller to the CNC one with a large gap. As a result boost is only mildly higher than before. It does agree with what you say - more boost earlier.

Once these shims arrive I will give it a fair comparison.

Pic of the 2nd blower w/ impeller -

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2