Dyno Vs Dyno ! 

Page 7 of 7 [ 104 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:17 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FairmontEL wrote:
But Adrian your still forgetting the variables!!!!!!!

LOL

Read the post again f**k!!!! :evil:

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:31 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Who says their software is right (anyone other then them?). How many guess or assumptions are made in the software, as it can't possibly take into account ALL the variables. This just proves it's NOT a scientific instrument.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Who says their software is right (anyone other then them?). How many guess or assumptions are made in the software, as it can't possibly take into account ALL the variables. This just proves it's NOT a scientific instrument.

Scientific instrument and guesses/assumptions aside, all it means is that, even if their software is wrong, all these variables that you pointed out are still void.

Even if their software is screwy, it will always be using the same screwy logic, with inbuilt screwy correction tables.

Therefore, if using the same dyno, the figures should be easily repeatable.

And, as I said before... We are not trying to find the accurate (by dictionary definitions) figure.. I'm sure that is something we will never find. We are tying to find why one dyno of the same brand is able to have a, sometimes, massively different figure.

All I'm trying to say in my latest post is that all these variables that people talk of are nil and void in the equation, according to the manufacturer.

I think sometimes people are loosing sight of what the question is. Its an open forum. We have opinions from everyone about variables, etc, etc... But I have just pointed that your opinion on variables, according to the maufacturer, are all wrong.

Last edited by arm79 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

A few interesting reads which i looked at in an attempt to get my head around this topic:

http://www.bishopsperformance.com/dynoinfo.htm

http://www.sdsefi.com/techdyno.htm

http://www.idavette.net/hib/dynojet/

From what i could tell the people who have done dyno vs dyno tests have been quite successful in getting close results between different dynos using what appear to be ner-control conditions. Note that the similar results have been achieved by using the same brand dynos...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Have a read of this: http://www.dyno.com.au/shootout.htm and read the bit about being able to accurately reproduce figures, regardless of the variables.

I had a little chat to Dyno Dynamics this afternoon. They tell me that their Shootout software takes into account many ambient, atmospheric and operator variables and will accurately reproduce the same figures regardless. Their words were (not verbatim I'm afraid) "You do not need to reproduce the exact conditions to get the same results, our software will account for this"... Now, how does that kill every little opinion so far in this thread?

Very interesting read Adrian. I'd love to see somewhat of a design of their software, just to see how many variables are taken into account, and how these are all measured. Without trying to be picky, or arguementative, I would love to know how some of the very hard to measure variable are accounted for, some examples being - wear on dyno, operator input (by way of throttle application, gear shifts etc) and length of time between dyno calibarations. But as you mentioned below, these are all going to be very small discrepancies, and that is not what we are worried about.

arm79 wrote:
Plus, we are not looking for a little pissy 1 or 2% or 2 or 3kw difference here. These are explainable. We are looking to explain excessive differences... 10% or 15% or 17% or 20%...

To explain the greater differences, I think it is going to take more than inquiries to the manufacturer, or anyone else with a vested interest in the outcome for that matter. This is turning into a very interesting discussion and I for one am learning quite a lot! :)

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Post subject: just thinking
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

LOL

hi

let me say it how it reads

seems some dyno operaters like to over inflate the dyno figures

:wink: :wink: :idea: :?: wander why PMSFL

people think wot the question is being asked

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:54 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

Power: 320 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The interesting thing really is with all of these dynos,
maybe some read high, maybe some read low.
If only we could have an accurate benchmark we could do some accurate comparasims.

BA Ghia 320 rwkw @ FordMods dyno day
Ford Capri nat asp 9.7 @ 140 mph
Other car 580 hp @ wheels now 624.7 hp !!

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Is there an industry standard set of test parrameters? or is that what shootout mode is spose to be?

But does it really matter if some read more than others as anything to do with readouts via computers can be fudged... a timeslip has to be the best way of comparison between cars

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

Power: 320 rwkw

VIC, Australia

CHEF wrote:
Is there an industry standard set of test parrameters? or is that what shootout mode is spose to be?

But does it really matter if some read more than others as anything to do with readouts via computers can be fudged... a timeslip has to be the best way of comparison between cars

A time slips just shows how well you put the power you have to the ground, not neccesarily highest peak horsepower will be the fastest car

BA Ghia 320 rwkw @ FordMods dyno day
Ford Capri nat asp 9.7 @ 140 mph
Other car 580 hp @ wheels now 624.7 hp !!

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:55 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

shootout mode is DynoDynamics 'standard' unfortuntely it doesn't help any one comparing between dynos of different makes.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Post subject: NEWTON
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

v8capri wrote:
CHEF wrote:

A time slips just shows how well you put the power you have to the ground, not neccesarily highest peak horsepower will be the fastest car

are u sure about that?

horsepower for a give mass will always move quicker than a less horsepower for that same given mass

:idea: newtons law if im not mistaken cause what u just said contradicts all of his physics LOL

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Post subject: jesss i love these quotes
Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Confucius Says ..."Man who run in front of car get tired"

Confucius Says ..."Man who run behind car get exhausted"

Confu;)cius Says ..."Man with hand in pocket feel C**k all day"

Confucius say...He who walk through airport door sideways going to Bangkok.

thought i mght add a bit of humour in here seems we all tense

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:54 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

The ET on your time slip is a very good measure of the average overall power to weight of the car. Its very handy to see if your mods are actually an overall improvemnet or not. Many cams fail this test even though they look good on a dyno.

Its an average power over the rev range the gears allow to the weight.

So in a traction perfect pretend world the same car with a three speed would have a lower TS than if it had a four speed as the ave power would be higher the tighet the rev range.

The car with the highest TS will also be the hardest to beat in a real world roll on power contest without the benefit of a drag strip start.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

Not to mention wheelspin, driver error, shift timing, track/weather conditions etc...

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 7  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7