Fordmods Logo

ED Fairmont going Turbo 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ED Fairmont going Turbo
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hi everyone, been a member here for a few years now, but havnt used it much. I am after some help, I am currently in the process of getting my Ed Fairmont ready for a stage 2 turbo snort kit to bolt on in June, There are just some things that i am unsure about, due to some people say yes and some say no to certain things which leaves me wondering at times. All help would very much appreciated.

So here i go, i will just start with telling you the engine is stock, apart from the head, i am have just picked my tickford head that i just got rebuilt. The things i am looking for info on is -

*Is a J3 chip ok for running everything, its a stage 2 snort kit, so not a monster.
*Should i change my injectors and fuel pump for this
*I have read some things about the PCV valve hose and rear breather causing pressure build in sump, how do i set up a oil/air separator basic, to avoid this.
*Do i need to upgrade my brakes in QLD to pass the MOD plate
*What spark plugs do u guys use in yours with out any problems

I sure there is another is more but thats all i can think of right now. Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Josh

OI OI

Post subject: Re: ED Fairmont going Turbo
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

jdebnam wrote:
Hi everyone, been a member here for a few years now, but havnt used it much. I am after some help, I am currently in the process of getting my Ed Fairmont ready for a stage 2 turbo snort kit to bolt on in June, There are just some things that i am unsure about, due to some people say yes and some say no to certain things which leaves me wondering at times. All help would very much appreciated.

So here i go, i will just start with telling you the engine is stock, apart from the head, i am have just picked my tickford head that i just got rebuilt. The things i am looking for info on is -

*Is a J3 chip ok for running everything, its a stage 2 snort kit, so not a monster.
It will be OK, but you should do it once, and do it right with an aftermarket ECU that can read boost
*Should i change my injectors and fuel pump for this
Yes!
*I have read some things about the PCV valve hose and rear breather causing pressure build in sump, how do i set up a oil/air separator basic, to avoid this.
*Do i need to upgrade my brakes in QLD to pass the MOD plate
Nope, stock brakes will be legal
*What spark plugs do u guys use in yours with out any problems
stock XR6 plugs

I sure there is another is more but thats all i can think of right now. Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Josh

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

depends how much boost you want to run, and how long you want to drive your car before it goes BANG!!!

a j3 is fine for low boost but you need a Rising rate regulator
but as said before a ecu that can read boost is years ahead and also more expensive

iv never herd about the problem with the PCV valve hose and rear breather

injectors and pump will be good for 200rwkw or about 6-7psi

xr6 spark plugs will be the best to go with, and possibly re-gapping them will make it a touch smoother..

give snort performance a call mate, tell him what you want and what you can spend and he'll take care of you.

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The pump cant deal with the pressure required

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

your std pcv will work fine as it will close under boost..

but your rear breather needs to be re routed from the throttle body to a catch can or somewhere before the turbo..
otherwise, yes it will cause pressure build up in the crank case while under boost..

and you can use the std xr6 plugs just gap them to between .8 and .9mm

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Thanks 4 everyones help so far, so the boost reference fuel regulator that comes with the snort stage 2 do the job u think, or should i get an aftermarket adjustable one.

OI OI

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

jdebnam wrote:
Thanks 4 everyones help so far, so the boost reference fuel regulator that comes with the snort stage 2 do the job u think, or should i get an aftermarket adjustable one.

BI6TIM used 24lb injectors, a 12:1 rising rate regulator and an ED XR6 ECU to make 270ish rwkw. The snort supplied regulator gets plumbed into the return line after the stock regulator. A Walbro pump will be a minimum requirement for the 12:1 regulator.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]