Fordmods Logo

ED turbo project. Up and running....New pictures. 

Page 3 of 10 [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

maddog wrote:
Everyone is complementing you on your manifold but IMO I would not rate the engineering of it very highly. His welding might be good but he has got the positioning of the turbo and wastegate in the wrong position for your model falcon. You might have thought you bought cheap but at the end of the day a better engineered setup would have cost you alot less to set up and worked alot better.
What was the makers point of doing it in stainless steel when mild steam pipe bends would have sufficed.
Now it seems this guy set up this manifold to fit on a EA with the different style radiator overflow tank. So you may have to remove this style overflow tank, untack the support panel, relocate the relays and screw them onto the wheel arch panel. Then you may have room to get a bend in there.
But at the end of the day alot of piss f@rt around for something that should of been thought of before.

I see alot of poorly engineered setups and I can only feel sorry for you guys who are eager to get a good setup but find alot of the stuff you thought was good at the time is really only good for the tip when you want to get real serious power a year down the track. In this case its not even up to a reasonable engineering standard before you have got it up and running.

Here we go again......do u just go around bagging all geoffs kits or what?

EA Falcon S Sprint
Snort Performance Custom Turbo Setup
340rwkw on 13psi...tuned by CVE

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Seton 005...looking good!. Interesting to see how she goes! :wink:

EA Falcon S Sprint

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi, as Pierre said we did a XR6 VCT & the customer picked the vehicle just before easter, some slight problems with the manifold but with some feed back Geoff's kits are much better, new manifold design & fuel system control in progress, in total his kits are good value for money, rumor has it that JMM fitted one of Goeff's kits & it totaly blew them away, so as per usual OMI you'l going to find that being the entrepenur that JM is there going to try & market it as one of there own, just like Herrod dose with most of his gear.
First dyno run 181rwkw@ 6psi engine is going to go to 15psi as planed, had to remove gearbox after first run as flywheel bolts came loose, gear box was out & repaird 6 months prior by someone in Caslte Hill ??

Also I belive that Jason had a great time at Wakefield Park the winner of the dyno day... so again thanks to Leo Geoghegan & to Jase for finally getting on the track, lol. So if there is intrests in having another dyno day in mid June (date to be confirmed) please contact me or Peirre.

cheers

Joe Crescent Motorsport

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Are you the builder of this manifold. If yes or no then whats the deal with the snail pointing towards the overflow tank. How is the turbo outlet pipe going to be connected and how much stuffing around and cost is involved. Or would have it been better to design it with the outlet pipe in mind in the first place. And yes I will bag something that does not do the job as intended.

EASPRINT wrote:
maddog wrote:
Everyone is complementing you on your manifold but IMO I would not rate the engineering of it very highly. His welding might be good but he has got the positioning of the turbo and wastegate in the wrong position for your model falcon. You might have thought you bought cheap but at the end of the day a better engineered setup would have cost you alot less to set up and worked alot better.
What was the makers point of doing it in stainless steel when mild steam pipe bends would have sufficed.
Now it seems this guy set up this manifold to fit on a EA with the different style radiator overflow tank. So you may have to remove this style overflow tank, untack the support panel, relocate the relays and screw them onto the wheel arch panel. Then you may have room to get a bend in there.
But at the end of the day alot of piss f@rt around for something that should of been thought of before.

I see alot of poorly engineered setups and I can only feel sorry for you guys who are eager to get a good setup but find alot of the stuff you thought was good at the time is really only good for the tip when you want to get real serious power a year down the track. In this case its not even up to a reasonable engineering standard before you have got it up and running.

Here we go again......do u just go around bagging all geoffs kits or what?

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

maddog wrote:
Are you the builder of this manifold. If yes or no then whats the deal with the snail pointing towards the overflow tank. How is the turbo outlet pipe going to be connected and how much stuffing around and cost is involved. Or would have it been better to design it with the outlet pipe in mind in the first place. And yes I will bag something that does not do the job as intended.

I'd be more worried about the quality of the engineering that went into the actual pipework than where the compressor outlet is. Now i don't know how good the actual design is, but if you've got a nice stainless manifold that works well and has good exhaust flow with low restriction then it's better to move a coolant tank than to change to a manifold that might not be as good.

And to Seton005 ... enjoy the car mate, i oinly wish i could afford to do more to my car. It sucks being a poor uni student.

KANYE, IS YOU SNORIN IN MY CLASS??? WAKE UP MR WEST...

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

seton005 wrote:
Spork wrote:
tjb45 wrote:
Good luck with the turbo setup, I've been running one of Geoffs kits for over 6 months now, and couldnt recommened it enought. if you need any help dont hessitate to ask..
check this site http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=101967 the guy is trying to sell some injectors, there from an 8, so you could have 2 spare :D
cheers

Tim

This set-up looks awsome. How do you find the turbo. How much boost are you running and when do you get full boost? Any lag?
How much did an Intercooler, fuel pump and computer cost for you?
Settle down dude I only got it yesterday :lol: . Intercooler $288 off ebay. Fuel pump $170 off ebay. EMS 8860 $1600 supply only. Im gunna have a go at the EMS myself and just get someone else to tune it.

I was asking tjb34! :D

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

maddog wrote:

Ive had one minor problem and youve come out guns a blazin. I spoke to Geoff today and he is only too eager to rectify the problem. The rest of it is no worries. And as for the wastegate being in the wrong position, what are you basing that comment on? And I got two quotes from reputable speed shops in my area and they estimated 7 to 9 G's and maybe higher for a low pressure setup using a reconditioned T3 (so I dont know what your basing the assumption that a "better engineered" setup would be cheaper). Dont feel sorry for me. Ill be grinning from ear to ear when she's all done.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ED fairmont

VIC, Australia

all you lucky barstards with your ea- eds getting turbo setups, what about me!

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Maddog if your question is directed to me about the manifold set up /design the answer is no, also being the type of bloke that Geoff is I know that he will sorted it out. I had a 2 hour conversation with Geoff tonight & it seems that there is a minority that whats to bag him & his product !!...... as far as I'm concerned the man has put in an enormas amount of time in developing these kits to make them affordable & reliable & I will support him & sell his product, in fact that the dyno day that I wish to have in June I have asked Geoff to come over & answer any questions that's being circulating bout his kits & bring some of his hardwere & toys as well. So have fun with your turbo kit seton005 & we might see you down at WSID to see what you get.

Joe
Crescent Motorsport.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:35 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Well it appears Geoff is a nice guy and helpfull but it still does not change the fact that a manifold and turbo was sold to a guy that does not allow the compressor outlet pipe to be able to be fitted to the turbine. This is not a small oversight and the purchaser of that kit has a BIG problem that he should not have had. And there should be no reason to relocate/modify the overflow tank if it was designed properly.

I would really like to hear Geoffs input on this matter and find out what he is going to do to rectify this???

Is he either going to weld him up another manifold which positions the turbo in a better location or is he going to refund his money. Something has to be done.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Top stuff! Good on ya, for spending the money! Your gonna have a ripper of a car.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

maddog wrote:
Well it appears Geoff is a nice guy and helpfull but it still does not change the fact that a manifold and turbo was sold to a guy that does not allow the compressor outlet pipe to be able to be fitted to the turbine. This is not a small oversight and the purchaser of that kit has a BIG problem that he should not have had. And there should be no reason to relocate/modify the overflow tank if it was designed properly.

I would really like to hear Geoffs input on this matter and find out what he is going to do to rectify this???

Is he either going to weld him up another manifold which positions the turbo in a better location or is he going to refund his money. Something has to be done.
Im sure he would refund the dosh if I wanted him too but why would I? Wether you wish to agree or not these kits are excellent value for money. I spoke to Geoff today and Ill be sending the kit back to be fixed. What Ill get back is a newly designed exhaust manifold (as per the ebay link posted earlier in this thread) that looks more like tuned length extractors than a turbo manifold. The mounting flange sits closer to the engine and the design also allows for the compressor housing to be angled down which will cure the problem. And yeah Joe youll see me at WSID and hopefully the next dyno day you have if its all running sweet by then (even if its not I may come over for a look). I just hope others will listen to what the people running Geoff's kits think of them as opposed to a couple of people who obviously have a gripe with Geoff or his kits or both.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Chill out Maddog - you sound like quite an extremist.
This Geoff guy seems alright - give him a chance to fix the problem before getting out the knives.
It is good to see someone out there putting out a product for our vehicles and doing it at a good price.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I was being critical of this kit for a completely legitimate reason. If anyone else has been critical it probably is for a good reason. They are just not picking on him for fun in most instances.
Its pretty sad that a turbo kit is sold, fitted up, found not to fit then has to be returned. All the postage/handling, fitting up time, fiddling around time to see whether it can be made to work all cost money in time/frustration, car having to be off road while all this is happennig, and if the basics of the kit are not correct then what else isn't correct.

Who ever said these kits are cheap are kidding themselves. The stuffing around is worth $500 at least IMO.

It is really poor of the vendor to do this to you, but there are many vendors who will sell something knowing full well it will stuff the purchaser around alot. Dont kid yourself either as guys in the 17 to 25 braket are the easiest to sell to cause of their naivity/gullibility and inexperience (thru no fault of their own, just the way it is)and alot of older guys take advantage of that.

Good luck in your kit. I certainly would not recommend him knowing what has happened in this instance.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Madogg....U need to find something better to do with your time!...We all understand that you don't want one of Geoffs kits...and thats all good!. Its very stange how everyone thats bought a kit off geoff, doesn't have anything bad to say about him...me included!.

EA Falcon S Sprint

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 10  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next