Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont, want a turbo... Help. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont, want a turbo... Help.
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and will admit i am not mechanically minded.
I own a 1995 EF Fairmont.

When i purchased this car 12 months ago it had a new engine from RPM that had only done 25,000kms. it also had Exhaust & Extractors fitted to it with a K&N air filter. At that time i had it Dyno tuned by Brendan Mock and it produced 120KW at the rears.

Since then I recently purchased a 3.45 LSD Diff and 5 speed XR6 manual and ECU from Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage. I had Brendan Mock install this to my car and tweak the engine at the same time. The engine has had a Cam Kit and Porting done to it, as well as getting its head gasket fixed properly. When it was Dyno tuned it clocked 158KW at the rears.

I am now considering putting a turbo (maybe 2) onto this car and have no idea of where to look and how much it might cost. I sent an email to CAPA but never got a reply, i have looked around the Snort website and got a bit of info but am still very confused.

Basically does anybody know what i need to buy and what needs to be done to the car? I would love to get 250KW+ at the rears if possible? I dont want to destroy my engine and car so i am asking for what would be most suitable. Also i am working to a tight budget as i am struggling to keep my wife ( :( ) after spending a total of $4k getting the last tweaks done.

Anyway i do apologise if i have crapped on too much i just presumed the more info would help.

Thanks to anybody that might be able to help. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

well, bad news, a turbo will set you back more than that 4k you spent last time.

250rwkw will definatly push the 5 speed box, and i wouldnt expect it to last.

have a read of chefs sticky at the top of this forum dout DIY turbo, gives you a good idea of what needs to be done

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb falcon

SA, Australia

jmm are well versed when it comes to turbo 4l stuff, they have the 600rwhp ef...

since you seem to have dealt with them before, have you questioned them??

there is a lot involved with it, have you done any searching of these forums?? you will find cars running anything from 180rwkw with std ecu, injectors etc, right up to 450rwkw monster... and everything in between... there is obviously heaps of ways to acheive your goal, but too much stuff for me to type right now..

one thing we all can say is, to do a DECENT job of it, ESPECIALLY if you have to pay for labour.. is it will cost upwards of $10K a lot of us that have these good setups will all vouch for that

BUT, like i said, there is guys running the bare essentials and they have spent $5K+

EB 4L, 8.4:1, R154, GT4202r, 4in exhaust, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold, plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, Garrett W2A cooler, Surecam custom, autronic SM4, Bosch 120lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, LM-1, Turbosmart Reg, 2x bosch 044, turbosmart 48 gate. 470kw+ @ 18PSI

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont, want a turbo... Help.
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

rooboy_ezza wrote:
Since then I recently purchased a 3.45 LSD Diff and 5 speed XR6 manual and ECU from Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage. I had Brendan Mock install this to my car and tweak the engine at the same time. The engine has had a Cam Kit and Porting done to it, as well as getting its head gasket fixed properly. When it was Dyno tuned it clocked 158KW at the rears.

Apply this simple formula:

REAL KW AT REARS = WHAT JIM/BRENDAN MOCK SAY - 20%

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

^^^haha

but seriously....ive been looking into turbo's for ages and im finally about to start in another month or so.

be prepared to spend a lot of money....and as someone said read the sticky at the top...its absolute gold

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

snort peformancekits generally seem the go when it comes to price/headache free.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

schnoods wrote:
snort peformancekits generally seem the go when it comes to price/headache free.
Snort kits are quite good but you'll still be up for exhaust, intercooler and piping, bigger injectors, fuel pump and an ECU to run it all. You may also need to relocate the battery to the boot (not always essentail) andmodify or replace your front bar. Add labour and other odds and ends and you get the general idea. As mentioned above, read Chefs thread plus any others you can find.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

As your car has been worked at Mock motorsport, I think your biggest problem will be compression ratio, your car being a N/A will have a higher comp, and an unsuitble cam to run boost, you can lowr comp easily with a de-comp plate, but this obviously invloves taking the head off to do, ECU will crack it about 8-9 maybe 10 psi as they are not designed to read boost, fuel injectors will be maxed out, fuel pump will not flow sufficently

It all comes down to how much boost you want to run (your aim for 250rw/kw is simpy not attainable with stock injectors, ecu and pump unless you want problems) and if your car is a daily driver, being a daily you certainly want something realiable so you will have to do things the right way the first time, and this involves spening a little extra.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Fairmont Turbo

QLD, Australia

I think you should aim for a little lower in the spectrum as 180kw from a turbocharger will get you going just nicely and will s**t all over the power you have now. Although 180 doesn't sound as impressive as 250 its still enough power to run you into the high 12 sec zone, low 13 on a standard ecu/engine. I can organise a full fit up and obviously the kit for a very good price if your interested. Some lucky bugger drove away with a 13 sec eb last week and left little more than five grand with us, he was LUCKY though. SNORT.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: turbo

VIC, Australia

i am now on my second setup now my first one cost me about 6-7 g's with wolf 3d bigger injectors t4 cooler but that was all trade price parts with me doing everything including making the manifold the new one will be about the same but the manifold cost me about 600 in parts the labour would have to be bout 4 g's at least

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

ford man xf wrote:
ECU will crack it about 8-9 maybe 10 psi as they are not designed to read boost, fuel injectors will be maxed out, fuel pump will not flow sufficently
\

They -are- designed to read boost, but they're not tuned for it in this application... and the MAP sensor can only read to a certain level of positive pressure.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]