Post subject: Re: ef turbo manifold
Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
misk_one wrote:
explain why someone should pay $1k or more for a manifold when they are going to run no more than 10psi?
id like to hear your reasons.

I will not disagree that a homemade Turbo manifold will not produce reasonable power. But I would have to say I would not buy one off of ebay for a few reasons.

The fact that its a home job means it could have been made by someone who may not have enough experience to weld and the welds may not have enough penetration.

There is no guarantee of the work and it may have air leaks because of improper welding. So as soon as you bolt it on, if you find any leaks, off it comes again to get re welded.

Dont know what thickness material its been made out of. May have been make out of 2mm walled mild steel and not steam pipe. Just asking for trouble there if you ask me.

Mate some are made out of exhaust pipe and work very well..
Workshop or home made doesn't matter.. If it's done right ?? It's done right..!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
misk_one wrote:
explain why someone should pay $1k or more for a manifold when they are going to run no more than 10psi?

I will not disagree that a homemade Turbo manifold will not produce reasonable power. But I would have to say I would not buy one off of ebay for a few reasons.

The fact that its a home job means it could have been made by someone who may not have enough experience to weld and the welds may not have enough penetration.

There is no guarantee of the work and it may have air leaks because of improper welding. So as soon as you bolt it on, if you find any leaks, off it comes again to get re welded.

Dont know what thickness material its been made out of. May have been make out of 2mm walled mild steel and not steam pipe. Just asking for trouble there if you ask me.

Workshop or home made doesn't matter.. If it's done right ?? It's done right..!!

the point hes tryign to make is you dont know if it has been done right, unless you go and inspect it your self and have it leak tested you cant tell if its been done properly by a few photos.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:19 am 
Fordmods Junkie

facer01 wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
misk_one wrote:

the point hes tryign to make is you dont know if it has been done right, unless you go and inspect it your self and have it leak tested you cant tell if its been done properly by a few photos.

Exactly. I plan to build my own manifold out of Stainless. But I have a TIG welder and know how to use it. Buying a homemade manifold from Ebay can be death trap. Not saying you cant buy a quality homemade manifold off of ebay, but is it really worth the risk?

You cant tell me that you would buy any home made manifold you see on ebay? A man of your experience would make your own, and I have seen your work. I would not be surprised if you where a fitter or boilermaker.

Quote:

Exhaust pipe is made to take heat, Im talking about mild steel pipe that will deteriate when its heated and expanded over and over. The point is buying a manifold off of ebay you cant know what you are buying until you get it. and a turbo manifold is not something you want to cut corners on. You of all people should know that.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Buying a homemade manifold from Ebay can be death trap.

Please explain how running a log manifold made by a DIY'er will cause his death?

Snort manifold's are made in a shed at the back of someone's house.

Where do you think 6boost started making his manifolds before he started selling lots of them and needed more space?

Ebay turbo manifolds are made in factories in china with high tech robotic welding machines. They have the worst reputation around for failure.

How many turbo cars have you had XR-Lane? What kind of manifolds were they running? Were they made at home or by a professional? How did they fail? Did you die?

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Everyones making really good points, maybe its coming down to apperance?

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Dansedgli wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:
Buying a homemade manifold from Ebay can be death trap.

Please explain how running a log manifold made by a DIY'er will cause his death?

Snort manifold's are made in a shed at the back of someone's house.

Where do you think 6boost started making his manifolds before he started selling lots of them and needed more space?

Ebay turbo manifolds are made in factories in china with high tech robotic welding machines. They have the worst reputation around for failure.

How many turbo cars have you had XR-Lane? What kind of manifolds were they running? Were they made at home or by a professional? How did they fail? Did you die?

Calm down Dan. Wrong choice of words sure, but dont tell me you have no idea what I was getting at. Your a smarter man than that.

I have not had Any Turbo cars, Its no big secret. Im not trying to sound like I know it all because I have had 5 Boosted falcons. Im going on my 10 years experience as a engineering trades person.

Snort is a business that has been making manifolds etc for a long time and has earned trust in the Ford community. Comparing Geoff to some of these ebay specials, is like comparing woodstock bourbon to Jim beam.

Quote me where I said I stated that every home made turbo manifold was s**t and no good and I will apologise to you.

I said I, personally would not buy a homemade one off of ebay for the reasons I stated before.

XR-Lane wrote:

Note that I said "could have" I did not by any means suggest that every home made manifold would have welds with next to no penetration, or porosity for that matter. Having said that (again) personally myself, I would not risk buying one off of ebay.

XR-Lane wrote:

This one is simple. Snot would obviously provide some sort of warranty for his work, so I dont see how you would compare a business that obviously has a $4000+ welder and all the grear he needs to do the work to a Bloke in hes garden shed with a GMC stick welder? Again I don't know if the Ebay seller has made it in a garden shed or not, but personally myself, I would not buy a home made manifold off of ebay, because I don't know what I am buying.

XR-Lane wrote:

Point is here, you don't know what its been made out of, you don't know the quality of welding just by looking at the pic. And personally myself I would not buy a manifold off of ebay without knowing.

EBXR8380 noted that manifolds have been made out of exhaust pipe. I would not personally use that material because I want a stainless one. But Exhaust pipe is just that, exhaust pipe. Its especially for that application, so no real relevance there because who's to know that someone has gone to the steel shop and bought 6m of mild steel tubing used for general fabrication. Its not rated for pressure and is not like exhaust pipe, that has been designed for the application of being heated and expanded. Ever noticed exhaust pipe has a nice finnish on it, and mild steel pipe just has scale on it?

Dansedgli wrote:

How many hours have you had on a Mig welder Dan? How many hours have you had on a Tig welder? How many hours have you had on a Metal lathe? Haw many hours have you worked in a Engineering workshop?

Dont mean to start a fight or anything, but dont go getting on your high horse just because you feel that you have seniority over me on the subject. I have relevant experience with welding, machine etc. And I was stating reasons why I would not buy a manifold off of Ebay. I did not state in no shape or form that ALL homemade manifolds where s**t. I just mentioned my reasons why I would not TRUST buying a homemade one off of ebay.

But you guys buy whatever manifold you like, I was not telling you you shouldn't.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Dan wrote:

Sorry just noticed that bit.

Not all ebay manifolds are made in china. I have seen some terrible ones that are clearly have been made in the shed. These are manifolds I have been talking about the whole time. As for china robot welded manifolds, I agree with you on that one. I would prefer to buy a hand crafted one from snort any day over one of those.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Same if i was going to turbo my car myself, i would not go any were but snort performance.
Like my granddaddy used to tell me.... trust pink forget stains

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
Dan wrote:

Sorry just noticed that bit.

Not all ebay manifolds are made in china. I have seen some terrible ones that are clearly have been made in the shed. These are manifolds I have been talking about the whole time. As for china robot welded manifolds, I agree with you on that one. I would prefer to buy a hand crafted one from snort any day over one of those.

Good because this was my main point before you went PMS on us. :P

Professionally made manifolds, ie robotically welded somewhere, are most of the time no better than what someone has knocked up in their shed.

Like EBXR8380 said if its done right, its done right.

XR-Lane wrote:
I have not had Any Turbo cars, Its no big secret. Im not trying to sound like I know it all because I have had 5 Boosted falcons.

XR-Lane wrote:
Dansedgli wrote:

How many hours have you had on a Mig welder Dan? How many hours have you had on a Tig welder? How many hours have you had on a Metal lathe? Haw many hours have you worked in a Engineering workshop?

Dont mean to start a fight or anything, but dont go getting on your high horse just because you feel that you have seniority over me on the subject.

I wasn't trying to shoot down your intelligence on the matter with these questions, I was just wondering if you had a turbo car that had a faulty manifold before and what happened. You made them sound dangerous.

Maybe you should put your PMS away and get off your high horse once in a while? Im sure if you did a search you could find out how. :roll:

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF FAIRMONT GHIA 125kw

VIC, Australia

Troy wrote:

Thanks all..i understand what yous mean by home made manifolds they can be a problem just wanting to happen...Troy the link you shown me,, there is two diferent types of manifolds in the pics..which one is for sale??.. the one first one pictured looks pritty average..do you think that it would flow....i dont think so. but the second one pictured looks like it would flow 30 times better..just interested in all your responses...thanks all who have posted likes and feedback

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lol...
enjoy paying $3-4k for your turbo system that will only ever be able to run at 10psi.
you have fun with that.

you guys dont think that steam pipe can be used for manifolds?
better tell 6boost, ETM, and whoever else uses the s**t...
they might want to re think how they have made every manifold.

iamsteve, the $250 ebay log manifold is fine
you can see the welds penetrate well and the guy offers customer service also.
unless you are rebuilding your engine and going to aftermarket ECU i would not bother with anything other than a log manifold.
that is of course unless you like to waste money.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

IamSteve wrote:
Troy wrote:

Thanks all..i understand what yous mean by home made manifolds they can be a problem just wanting to happen...Troy the link you shown me,, there is two diferent types of manifolds in the pics..which one is for sale??.. the one first one pictured looks pritty average..do you think that it would flow....i dont think so. but the second one pictured looks like it would flow 30 times better..just interested in all your responses...thanks all who have posted likes and feedback

i think the log is $250 and the other is $500

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

misk_one wrote:
you guys dont think that steam pipe can be used for manifolds?

Who said that? I know I didn't :|

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next