Fordmods Logo

ef turbo manifold 

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: ef turbo manifold
Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
EBXR8380 noted that manifolds have been made out of exhaust pipe. I would not personally use that material because I want a stainless one. But Exhaust pipe is just that, exhaust pipe. Its especially for that application, so no real relevance there because who's to know that someone has gone to the steel shop and bought 6m of mild steel tubing used for general fabrication. Its not rated for pressure and is not like exhaust pipe, that has been designed for the application of being heated and expanded. Ever noticed exhaust pipe has a nice finnish on it, and mild steel pipe just has scale on it?

this comment just didnt quite add up...
straight sections of steam pipe manifolds are made of thick walled general purpose mild steel...

like i said, enjoy you're $1k+ manifolds for your 220rwkw ;)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

like i said, enjoy you're $1k+ manifolds for your 220rwkw ;)[/quote]

we will, enjoy you car looking like a half a** ed attept

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

misk_one wrote:
Quote:
EBXR8380 noted that manifolds have been made out of exhaust pipe. I would not personally use that material because I want a stainless one. But Exhaust pipe is just that, exhaust pipe. Its especially for that application, so no real relevance there because who's to know that someone has gone to the steel shop and bought 6m of mild steel tubing used for general fabrication. Its not rated for pressure and is not like exhaust pipe, that has been designed for the application of being heated and expanded. Ever noticed exhaust pipe has a nice finnish on it, and mild steel pipe just has scale on it?

this comment just didnt quite add up...
straight sections of steam pipe manifolds are made of thick walled general purpose mild steel...

like i said, enjoy you're $1k+ manifolds for your 220rwkw ;)

:lol: :lol:

I was thinking of a dodgy tuned manifold I seen on ebay once. I did not refer to steam pipe or log manifolds at all.

The manifold I remember seeing on ebay was made out of straight pipe, cut and welded in angles rather than bent on a bender. the guy did not even bother to buy steam pipe 90 degree bends. That quote does not mention steam pipe at all, nor did I intend it to. Nothing wrong with proper rated thick walled steam pipe, I said some dodgy bugger could go to the steel shop and buy pipe not thick walled and state that it is. You cant tell from the pics can you?

And besides I never said I intend to buy a manifold from anyone. Im going to build my own stainless steel one.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Dansedgli wrote:
I wasn't trying to shoot down your intelligence on the matter with these questions, I was just wondering if you had a turbo car that had a faulty manifold before and what happened. You made them sound dangerous.

Maybe you should put your PMS away and get off your high horse once in a while? Im sure if you did a search you could find out how. :roll:

:lol: Im over it mate, no problems.

I love how you always put in little jokes of the search function, but its not as funny as it used to be :wink:

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

You can build'em mr Lane? is it costly

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hay dudes how cheap can ya do a turbo setup for? like compleat it just occured to me that i want one

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

ford-racer46 wrote:
You can build'em mr Lane? is it costly

I have never built one before, but it will not stop me from doing so :lol: The stainless is not cheap but not that bad either.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

What do XR6T's use? material wise?

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

ford-racer46 wrote:
What do XR6T's use? material wise?

I believe they use a cast iron manifold similar to the standard manifold with the inclusion of the turbo flange :wink:

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BA etc XR6T use cast steel log split pulse manifolds...

XR, sorry i mis understood you
i agree, would be a silly billy to use thin walled stuff, but i guess it could happen.

materials wise, you can make a log manifold with steam pipe for $130 including turbo and head flange..
i will be making these in the coming months but selling at $250 to cover labour and other costs
you can do a 'tuned length' style one for not much more.
steel is cheap, it really depends on how much you buy.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

the ones your making, what kind of power can they handle? can anyone link me to a thread that explains how the oil lines and all that work in the turbo and where they go?

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF FAIRMONT GHIA 125kw

VIC, Australia

guys thanks but.....take it easy..forum war :lol: i think its like this in everything in life...a friends into scooters :D and he and i were having a look at scooter forks...190 dollars for them for a 20 dollar material cost...so i said i will make some for you... 15 dollars later i made some...all the same just minus the 160 dollar brand name...see what im trying to say..just cos it cost more doesnt mean it is better......who agrees?

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i agree, but only if you can make it to the same quality, nobody likes a that'll do attitude. Not saying that, thats what you did.

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

This is not manifold specific, but it does cover installing a turbo in a falcon in diy style. thread is a little old but should still have relevant information there.

ford-turbo-supercharger-f22/how-to-turbo-your-i6-the-diy-way-with-pics-t12309.html?hilit=diy%20turbo

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next