ef turbo manifold 

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: ef turbo manifold
Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

yea thats a good thread that one. silly question but where do you get steam pipe

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

IamSteve wrote:
guys thanks but.....take it easy..forum war :lol: i think its like this in everything in life...a friends into scooters :D and he and i were having a look at scooter forks...190 dollars for them for a 20 dollar material cost...so i said i will make some for you... 15 dollars later i made some...all the same just minus the 160 dollar brand name...see what im trying to say..just cos it cost more doesnt mean it is better......who agrees?

This is the case some of the time. There is a reason no name companies and backyarders can make stuff so cheap. Lack of or no R & D . Brand name companies spend hundreds of thousands / millions of dollars to ensure you are getting something that is of good quality but also value for money.
I will acknowledge this is not always the case but mostly is.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

XR-Lane wrote:
This is not manifold specific, but it does cover installing a turbo in a falcon in diy style. thread is a little old but should still have relevant information there.

ford-turbo-supercharger-f22/how-to-turbo-your-i6-the-diy-way-with-pics-t12309.html?hilit=diy%20turbo

Good link thanks! :) It looks as tho i can do alot myself just need to pick a manifold, and turbo, and work out were the oil lines come and go.

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF FAIRMONT GHIA 125kw

VIC, Australia

yer thanks guys for all the help.. the links where very helpful..thanks

OMG DOSE IT ULAY

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
the ones your making, what kind of power can they handle? can anyone link me to a thread that explains how the oil lines and all that work in the turbo and where they go?

the ones im making now, should be fine for 200-250rwkw
as you an see in the DIY turbo thread, that guy has made a similar manifold to mine and he made 200rwkw, theres no reason the ones that i make cant do the same
im not sure what boost that guy is running, but the manifold obviously worked for him at that power level.

im going to try running upto 15 psi through one using a TA45, so we'll see how that goes :)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

15 psi? is it a stock engine?

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah stock EF engine.
i will be lower compression a bit and fitting double valve springs before going that high.

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Im not really knowlegable on turbos, but i thought 15psi was MEGA! on a stock engine, i thought only 9-10psi max, is it dangerous for your engine? Potentially i mean, i figure you wont blow your engine on purpose

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i guess the reason 10psi is thrown around as a max limit is because most people use a J3 chip to tune.
the J3 chip doesnt read boost, so you need to use a rising rate fuel reg and tune the fuel and spark in the J3 at 0vac. so the tune will never be spot on and after 10psi the ECU will cut spark.
you can work around this, but anything higher is getting risky with that setup anyway as the tune wont be the best and will need extra fuel for much higher anyway.

im using straight a gas reseaarch system, so fueling isnt an issue, and i have a piggy back ECU with a 22psi onboard map sensor.
so i can map ignition (and petrol if i wanted to) upto 22psi, meaning the tune will be alot safer.

15psi on petrol nets around 300rwkw, which is the max i'd want to push through a standard bottom end and auto anyway, but i doubt ill get that high. i'll just set it to 15psi to see what power figure it gets as im curious.

XG Panelvan

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Oh i understand now, you need a turbo controlling ECU/ECU system to run it all safley and tune properly so you can tell what your engine can handle on a dyno and adjust spacifics. I thought J3 can run any thing

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:36 am 
Fordmods Junkie

J3 chips are good, but not that good. But most people are able to use one for what they want. Friend of mine was able to get 247rwkw with a snort kit and J3. So they are not that bad.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

J3 is good because you can adjust the tune in a way that works with the standard ECU
but your timing is the same at 0vac as it is at 10psi
fuel is a bit of a guess as you set it at 0vac and then the rising rate reg takes over to increase fuel pressure as boost pressure rises.

so its fine for a person not after huge power (ie over 250rwkw)
there are ways around adding extra fuel and adjusting the timing (boost retard module, extra injectors activated by hobbs pressure switch etc) but really depends how far you are willing to go to bandaid the fact that it doesnt map positive pressure.
it would be a fantastic unit if they could get around that as the falcon ECU does a pretty good job once you have full access to tune it

XG Panelvan

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4