Fordmods Logo

electronic supercharger 

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: electronic supercharger
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 97 EL sedan

QLD, Australia

Rear mounted turbo is just a turbo mounted under the car , Like near the diff ?

I don't know much about them but from what I can understand , they will still work OK and help keep the engine bay looking stock(ish) . It's probably a better than having 3 batteries taking up space in your boot and a shonky electric supercharger ?

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

not near the rear diff??? that would be massive travel for air and exhaust gasses, but supose for a p plater with restrictions thats an alright idea

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 21 images

QLD, Australia

while on the subject of legally boosting cars for p platers

would it be possible to put an air compressor tank in the boot of a car dressed up at a gas tank and pressureized while your at home nd have an electonic solenoid valve to allow the pressure to be transferred to your intake manifold givin you a similar boost effect like nos but cheaper to re fill ??? probly a stupid idea

xb falcon 500: currently being striped for full respray
ef falcon gli wagooon: currently finishing bodykit and then doors closed respray
the-garage-f53/ef-wagon-kit-pics-up-t77713.html

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

why dont you get a snort kit and hot pipe it so that there is no front mount visible, or just get a cheap cooler and paint it black, theres many ways to make a car look sleeper and not attract attention.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
winman wrote:
not near the rear diff??? that would be massive travel for air and exhaust gasses, but supose for a p plater with restrictions thats an alright idea

The exhaust gases actually go further then that.

what i ment was that wont it take a while to respond as the turbo is not at the extractors and the exhaust gasses have to travel all the way to the rear of the car to spool the turbo.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i had a bit of a look at rear turbo kits, from what i can see they only do them on the old v8 falcons, but the problem is thats alot of tubing that needs to be pressurized for the effect to work, and if your under full boost and slam the throttle body shut your gonna need to vent that boost, and reproduce it when then turbo spools

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

how about this ......

pull down ya ac compressor set it up as a air compressor (been done to alot of 4wds seeking air supply) .. send the pressure to a tank so really its the same as a air compressor at home ....

air line to inlet manifold pressure release valve fitted to the manifold ... air pressure sensor switch inside the manifold .. once it reads a certain vac pressure it then opens a air pressure solenoid which in turn let air pressure into the manifold ...anything upto about 80psi (of course u dont run 80psi) of course u would regulate the air pressure to what would be needed

simple fact going to draw engine belt tension as if u were running the a/c

the weight of the tank say 25litre tank and air lines other small bits maybe just under 20kg MAX

what u guys think or would u like to see a diagram of the setup .. also 1 other way is to scrap the air pressure sensor and use a crank sensor .. so the crank sensor says hey im doin 2600rpm now how bout some air pressure and yea the air pressure solenoid opens

My Fairmont

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 97 EL sedan

QLD, Australia

w
Luxo Sprint wrote:
how about this ......

pull down ya ac compressor set it up as a air compressor (been done to alot of 4wds seeking air supply) .. send the pressure to a tank so really its the same as a air compressor at home ....

air line to inlet manifold pressure release valve fitted to the manifold ... air pressure sensor switch inside the manifold .. once it reads a certain vac pressure it then opens a air pressure solenoid which in turn let air pressure into the manifold ...anything upto about 80psi (of course u dont run 80psi) of course u would regulate the air pressure to what would be needed

simple fact going to draw engine belt tension as if u were running the a/c

the weight of the tank say 25litre tank and air lines other small bits maybe just under 20kg MAX

what u guys think or would u like to see a diagram of the setup .. also 1 other way is to scrap the air pressure sensor and use a crank sensor .. so the crank sensor says hey im doin 2600rpm now how bout some air pressure and yea the air pressure solenoid opens

If your engine is 4.0 litres, then it should move 4.0 litres of air per engine revolution, as a whole revolution has made all the pistons move through one combustion stroke.

So at an idle of 850rpm, the engine is moving 3400 litres of air per minute(4.0 x 850), and at 6000rpm it is moving 24,000 (4.0 x 6000) litres of air per minute. This works on the assumption that the inlet valve opens at TDC and shuts at BDC, so using it's maximum volume.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:33 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

As stated above...

It may just be able to deliver 80psi... this is ideal for 4wd looking to blow up airbags and tyres...

It will not be able to deliver the volume and you will want a huge tank to be able go anywhere near close to this...

So say you work on a middle figure of 4000rpm this is 16000L per minute... Say your in that gear for 5 seconds... I work that as 1333L of air... How big was your tank again?

Not to meantion the output off the compressor delievers good pressure, but volume is horrid... Your gonna get like half a gear change work of air and then wait half an hour for it to recharge...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

N/a engines don't use their full displacement. For example. When the piston moves down on the intake stroke the speed of it going down and the valve closing is too quick for it to equalize pressure in the cylinder, thus giving you about 70% volumetric efficiency (doesn't fill it right up). What a turbo or supercharger does is raise the volumetric efficiency to over 100% which forces the air in and fills the cylinder right up before the compression stroke.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you will still need a big a*** air tank, as someone said earlier dress up a air tank as a LPG tank and have that in the boot, so far the best suggestion on how to illegally boost a p plater's car is the rear mounted turbo, however as i said, that rear mounted turbo has to fill up a very long pipe with boosted air, and once u shut the throttle that air has to be vented, bye bye boost thats been worked up, this set up id imagine would be good for a dragstrip, but for a circuit the cars gonna have no balls leaving the corner

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
xr6_corbin
N/a engines don't use their full displacement. For example. When the piston moves down on the intake stroke the speed of it going down and the valve closing is too quick for it to equalize pressure in the cylinder, thus giving you about 70% volumetric efficiency (doesn't fill it right up). What a turbo or supercharger does is raise the volumetric efficiency to over 100% which forces the air in and fills the cylinder right up before the compression stroke.

turbo and superchargers also put pressurized air in the cylinder, this air is denser and ignites better causing a larger explosion, cold air is denser then hot air, this is why for non turbo applications they dont recommend having the intake sucking air from around the engine bay. to make a air compressor type system work like a turbo or super charger, its going to either be big and heavy or infective, i would honestly say some electronic superchargers on eBay will provide better results :P

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

wow i love how topics can change so fast!!!

first it started as an "electronic supercharger"
then a bolt on bolt off supercharger
then nos
then rear mount turbo

then somehow we are talking about strapping an air compressor in the boot of a car and disguising it as an lpg tank

somewhere in there some1 said something about fat chicks...

how about doing mods that are difficult for cops to find
cam, ecu, air filter, diff ratios or wait till your off your p's

go the nos

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hahah yer the topic has changed just a tad :?
i would love to try nos, but only for race application, no way would i risk having it in the car connected for daily driving, even if im not using it. also while where on the topic of topic hopping, does anyone know a racing club in sydney, where they teach youngins like me how to race, and wont cost me a arm and a leg and possibly a kidney??

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

was just a thought but im wrong i take it on the chin ya always learn .. hence why we are all here ... sounded good in theory thou

My Fairmont

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next